The TV Thread

Excellent Count Basie documentary on BBC4 last night.  In 1959, at the tender age of 13, sitting in my bedroom listening to VOA on shortwave on an old radio instead of doing my school homework I heard The Kid From Red Bank, and was hooked from that moment on. 

Regarding Pointless, don't be so ******* miserable. Currently it's a better watch than the news. 😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Everything is a better watch than the news. 

Well maybe not Mrs Brown's Boys 

I see your Mrs Brown’s Boys and raise you the new Walking Dead spin-off. I can’t see any excuse for a programme this bad. It doesn’t even have bad-programme parody value. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Watched S3 ep1 of Star Trek Discovery. It’s turned into a remake of Andromeda with a bit less cheese. I guess the Roddenberry stuff has to be wrung out a bit further.

I didn’t mind Andromeda, it was just too squeaky in its morals. I sincerely hope this doesn’t go that way.

What really annoyed me about S2 was the over-dramatic scenes. e.g. the last episode full of standing around in mutual admiration while explosions In space probably meaning lots of people dying in the background. And...

if they killed the evil AI, why did they still need to go into the future? And why were they still going there anyway even when they knew the AI was onboard?

• Sad 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 23/10/2020 at 18:48, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watched the entire thing in about a month at the start of lockdown though I haven't got anything else going on at the moment aside from just sitting on my backside, getting fat and watching TV. That is the summary of my 2020. 

Just had Pate aux Fois Gras. Thank you.

Currently working my way through a re-watch of Lexx. Seasons 1-3 are on Amazon.

I started season 4 (which is not on Amazon, but watchable on a free, ad-supported service) last night, and there is a cameo appearance by Craig Charles and Hattie Hayridge, who were making 'Red Dwarf' at the time.

17207.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Started series two of The Alienist last night . After series one was around a serial killer killing and mutilating boy prostitutes , this one is heading into murdering babies territory . Strong stuff but compelling viewing with our heroic trio of investigators on the case 

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Two contestants on Tipping Point have just answered this question. Which is the northernmost county in England. Contestant number 1 answered Norfolk, contestant number 2 answered Birmingham.

I despair 🤷‍♂️

do they both work for dhl by any chance?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Two contestants on Tipping Point have just answered this question. Which is the northernmost county in England. Contestant number 1 answered Norfolk, contestant number 2 answered Birmingham.

I despair 🤷‍♂️

I find it upsetting how shockingly bad people's geography knowledge on quiz shows is, especially that about their own country. I remember once seeing one and the question was to name a city in Spain and the contestant said France...

58 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

do they both work for dhl by any chance?

The first contestant was a middle age Scottish chap who knew that Berwick on Tweed was near the border with Scotland and thought it was in Norfolk. The second answer came from a 20ish year old female who admitted she hadn’t a clue about her own country’s geography. Hopefully neither work for Royal Mail.

Edited by Moose
Spelling

8 minutes ago, Moose said:

The first contestant was a middle age Scottish chap who knew that Berwick on Tweed was near the border with Scotland and thought it was in Norfolk. The second answer came from a 20ish year old female who admitted she hadn’t a clue about her own country’s geography. Hopefully neither work for Royal Mail.

its a bit before my time

ill just guess and hope im right

i really dont know so i will go down the middle

2 hours ago, Moose said:

I despair 🤷‍♂️

I happened to watch that. Absolutely terrible 

one of the the questions on tipping point the other week- "someone said to be greek- would be from which country?" 

yes- they got that one right- phew!

4 minutes ago, Moose said:

The young lady although very hit and miss with her answers ended up winning £30,000 😀

thought the max you could win on tp was 10k?

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

20k if you get the jackpot counter to drop with a double counter at the same time but I think that has only happened once, so yes, it is normally 10k.

are you a tipping point superfan?