The TV Thread

I shown my daughter this film when she was 7, 5 years later she still quotes me lines from it.

As we live by the sea, she told me last week "God dammit Martin, We are not closing the beaches", when talking about the Covid closures.

I am not called Martin BTW.

Edited by Bleep1673

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think you're going to need a bigger boat! Best ad-lib of all time.

Plus it is a movie that features a cameo by the captain of the first USA Rugby League team to play an international match.

Here he is being tackled in a match in Sydney.

1953-original-photo-rugby-ted_1_0933a4c8

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Probably the best monologue in movie history as well , Spielbergs favourite scene he says . And largely written by Robert Shaw himself 

If we're talking movie monologues, check out this.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gillian Anderson playing Maggie Thatcher.

It's almost nightmare material.

How... how could she...

It's like turning on Father Brown and seeing him turn into Torquemada.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the Eggheads get easier questions than the contestants?

With Geography it is the same in House of Games as the knowledge of some of the guests has been terrible.

As I've said before, the lack of geographic knowledge of contestants on game shows truly disgusts me. I was basically born with an atlas in my hands, it's still my favourite book to this day, I consider myself to have a very good knowledge of geography and maybe its just me being ignorant to other people's lack of interest in the subject, because they don't have to like it obviously, but it is absolutely shocking some of the things they don't know, especially things about their own country, the kind of knowledge I've just picked up in passing as I've gone about my life. Sorry about the rant, it's just one of those little things that gets me worked up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ckn said:

Gillian Anderson playing Maggie Thatcher.

It's almost nightmare material.

How... how could she...

It's like turning on Father Brown and seeing him turn into Torquemada.

I have been in love with Gillian Anderson ever since I was a teenager and I first saw her as Agent Scully. She started my obsession with gingers! 😍😍😍

Gillian Anderson playing Maggie Thatcher does sound like an absolute disaster though...

8 hours ago, Bearman said:

I am watching The Liberator an animated second world war story.

Netflix . Typical American slant but I am enjoying it

That's on my list.

I have the second series of bonkers Belgo-Dutch crime wotnot "Undercover" to watch first. First series had the surreal and nutty world of a chalet park/campsite as its context, this one tops that with a line-dancing ranch. It is darkly serious though - people get properly hurt and die - in spite of the occasional funny bits.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The wife likes happy murders which has meant George Gently recently.

It was a good programme but we've seen him killed three times.

What interested me this time very much were things that seemed out of their time a kind of homage to things that never happened in a foretold way or just the wrong period altogether.

In one episode they had line dancing years before I have any recollection of anyone importing the idea, and in another a politician was predicting austerity and privatisation very early on.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Going back a few years, but I've jut finished season 2 of Ash v Evil Dead on Netflix. Messy, but fun.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

As I've said before, the lack of geographic knowledge of contestants on game shows truly disgusts me. I was basically born with an atlas in my hands, it's still my favourite book to this day, I consider myself to have a very good knowledge of geography and maybe its just me being ignorant to other people's lack of interest in the subject, because they don't have to like it obviously, but it is absolutely shocking some of the things they don't know, especially things about their own country, the kind of knowledge I've just picked up in passing as I've gone about my life. Sorry about the rant, it's just one of those little things that gets me worked up. 

A few years ago I was watching an episode of "That'll teach 'em!" where they take modern day GCSE students and teach them like pupils at a 1960's Secondary Modern. They asked one girl to point to where London was on a map of the British Isles. She had no idea at all. She was from London! 🙄

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

A few years ago I was watching an episode of "That'll teach 'em!" where they take modern day GCSE students and teach them like pupils at a 1960's Secondary Modern. They asked one girl to point to where London was on a map of the British Isles. She had no idea at all. She was from London! 🙄

One I remember is '5 Gold Rings' where the contestants were asked to locate the Scottish border on a map of the UK. The first contestant said it was around where Hadriens Wall is and the second up by Glasgow. 

Being a jazz fan, really enjoyed BBC4 last night and on Friday evening. There must have been as much jazz on those two evenings as on the previous how many years.

16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I had to convince my eldest that Brazil isn't a city in Spain.