The TV Thread

On 20/12/2020 at 21:33, Futtocks said:

A decent spot about Rob Burrow in this evening's Sports Personality of the Year. Sir Kev being classy and self-deprecating in the studio, plus Rob & family on Zoom.

Didnt watch SPOTY, as usual, I'm glad they gave Rob a spot, but they usually only give TGG a 60-90 second Challenge Cup spot, before/after a 10 minute Union spot. I haven't watched SPOTY for 15-20 years. Dullards the 99% of them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Didnt watch SPOTY, as usual, I'm glad they gave Rob a spot, but they usually only give TGG a 60-90 second Challenge Cup spot, before/after a 10 minute Union spot. I haven't watched SPOTY for 15-20 years. Dullards the 99% of them.

Sinfield showed an extra touch of class when he announced the winner (plus 2nd & 3rd place) of the main award - no annoyingly over-long (game show host-style) pause before the big reveal.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve been watching The Queen’s Gambit on recently acquired Netflix (which is the first time I’ve ever had it).

It’s been a gripping drama so far and even the chess has been done accurately (thanks to Gary Kasparov and Bruce Pandolfini).

Very stylistic (reminds me a little of 90s French cinema)  and rightfully described as cerebral.

1. e4 ...

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Sinfield showed an extra touch of class when he announced the winner (plus 2nd & 3rd place) of the main award - no annoyingly over-long (game show host-style) pause before the big reveal.

Well let's face facts, he was the only real contender this year.

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thats different

To be fair, I find most Rugby Union dull so I can't tell the difference.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, tim2 said:

To be fair, I find most Rugby Union dull so I can't tell the difference.

Compared to TGG it often is dull

Sarries at their best (and same for my side Saints a while back) is heads up rugby and can be great to watch.

Chief's style is a kind of anti-rugby/Eton wall game mix... Dreadful

If Broncos won anything with a full season of 5 drives and a kick then of course I would not care 😁....... After a decade of dominating SL, CC and WCC then I might be tempted to suggest they play with a bit more flair

1 hour ago, hindle xiii said:

Ghosts was brilliant.

It's unusual these days to find an original and well-written sitcom.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Ghosts was brilliant.

Totally agree. It is the best comedy for ages. I have watched it since S1, E1, and my 12 year old daughter also loves it. S2 was on iPlayer, and we spent two Sunday's binging on it. Great writing from the teams that brought us Horrible Histories. I am really glad the BBC have commissioned S3.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Totally agree. It is the best comedy for ages. I have watched it since S1, E1, and my 12 year old daughter also loves it. S2 was on iPlayer, and we spent two Sunday's binging on it. Great writing from the teams that brought us Horrible Histories. I am really glad the BBC have commissioned S3.

I hope it's like some of the better British sitcoms where, in my opinion, the writers know when to stop.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve been watching The Queen’s Gambit on recently acquired Netflix (which is the first time I’ve ever had it).

It’s been a gripping drama so far and even the chess has been done accurately (thanks to Gary Kasparov and Bruce Pandolfini).

Very stylistic (reminds me a little of 90s French cinema)  and rightfully described as cerebral.

1. e4 ...

Well worth watching. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve watched all of The Mandalorian second series on Disney+ after ‘saving’ it up for Christmas viewing.

I managed to avoid all the spoilers by avoiding Twitter and the Film/TV sites etc.

It was a real treat and I can easily recommend it to anybody.

I don't have Disney+, but have heard a lot of positive reviews of 'The Mandalorian', often from people who have become jaded with the actual Star Wars feature films.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I don't have Disney+, but have heard a lot of positive reviews of 'The Mandalorian', often from people who have become jaded with the actual Star Wars feature films.

Yes, I think the longer format allows for greater character development.

Also a new story narrative benefits it greatly, but it’s still retains a familiar feel of all that’s good about Star Wars.

I really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Big shout to the youngsters of Kings college choir.BRILLIANT.

Their timing was well behind in some of those carols, but I suppose that's randomly wafting choral conductors for you.

Still, a decent showing by the second-best choir in a modestly-sized East Anglian city. 

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm not a big telly watcher anyway, but I cant recall a Christmas where I've watched less TV.

Indeed , morecambe and wise was still probably the best thing I watched . I watched The Ripper over 4 nights on Netflix . It was excellent ... great festive viewing 🤔

Edited by DavidM

I haven't watched much as-broadcast TV either, but television was never a big part of my Christmases over the years.

The Quentin Blake-animated The Clown was quite charming though, on Channel 4. And while the festive episode of All Creatures great and small (C5) laid absolutely everything on with a trowel, it was still a gentle and warm-hearted programme.

Ralph Waldo Emerson