The TV Thread

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What he said! I absolutely love Wallace and Gromit! 

Wife thinks am cracking up,never laughed as much for years, i had same van A35 years back,Family guys on back burner for now.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Their timing was well behind in some of those carols, but I suppose that's randomly wafting choral conductors for you.

Still, a decent showing by the second-best choir in a modestly-sized East Anglian city. 

I think an handfull a the younger ones were showing off during the descant part at end of  o come ,all yee faithful, trying to outdo the 6 older lads. i once sang solo (once in royal davids city) in middle of a packed dewsbury town center in 1965 aged 9, i had 3 great years in  st mattews choir and me and my mate andrew did lots of weddings at half a crown a pop.

who do you rate as the best choir if kings are second?

2 hours ago, silverback said:

Wife thinks am cracking up,never laughed as much for years, i had same van A35 years back,Family guys on back burner for now.

I haven't enjoyed the newer family guys quite the same as older ones though they are still very funny. 

I just love anything made by Aardman, Wallace and Gromit being top of the list of course but yeah, all their stuff. Very annoyed Chicken Run 2 is being made for Netflix seen as I don't have that platform, just hope it comes out on Blu-Ray very soon afterwards. All the creature comforts and angry kids are on YouTube if you fancy a real laugh! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silverback said:

who do you rate as the best choir if kings are second?

St John's, their great rivals just along the road. But their chapel, while pleasant enough, is not nearly as telegenic as King's.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

TV Chefs always have an orgasm when they taste their own food, but has anyone any example of the opposite, where a Chef has spat out their own, or some other chefs food? (Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares are excluded, because he is paid to spit it out.)

18 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

TV Chefs always have an orgasm when they taste their own food, but has anyone any example of the opposite, where a Chef has spat out their own, or some other chefs food? (Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares are excluded, because he is paid to spit it out.)

There have been more than a few moments on Masterchef when something's gone badly wrong, and the judges bluntly say "I can't eat this". Plus there's the time when Anthony Bourdain was in Japan and got served his own personal nightmare - natto.

But, in general, if TV chefs mess up really badly, there are always re-takes.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/12/2020 at 17:18, ckn said:

Which channel/platform is showing the new version of The Stand?

https://www.tvguide.com/news/stephen-king-the-stand-trailer-release-date-spoilers-cbs-all-access/
I would have thought you would prefer to watch something far, far away from your day job?

Perhaps you are intrigued with the villain called Randall Flagg?👎🏿

King said of the series, about survivors of a catastrophic plague: 
I believe it will take viewers away to a world they hope will never happen."!

Citizen Kane is on BBCIPlayer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

lets not forget- tis the season- britains/worlds fattest unhealthy idiot throwing barrels over things while they give themselves brain bleeds 

Do you think they may be taking "supplements"? I think they may be taking "supplements".

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I just watched the Paul Gascoigne documentary today. A highlight reel of the most talented footballer to pull on the England shirt mixed with stuff that genuinely made me cry. Him witnessing his friend's brother's death as a young boy, cradling him as he died. The realisation, twice, that he was seriously injured. His spiral into drink and paranoia after 11 years of his phone being hacked and him being estranged from everyone who loved him as a result.

All he ever knew and all he wanted to do was to play football. It put into sharp relief what happens in the worst case when that ends and you still have more than half your life to live.

He may have been a d*ck at times, but my God he could play.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Do you think they may be taking "supplements"? I think they may be taking "supplements".

I find it strangely compulsive viewing every year . This year theyre in florida but its vastly scaled down by the look of it , and sadly no plane or giant truck pull so far

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

I just watched the Paul Gascoigne documentary today. A highlight reel of the most talented footballer to pull on the England shirt mixed with stuff that genuinely made me cry. Him witnessing his friend's brother's death as a young boy, cradling him as he died. The realisation, twice, that he was seriously injured. His spiral into drink and paranoia after 11 years of his phone being hacked and him being estranged from everyone who loved him as a result.

All he ever knew and all he wanted to do was to play football. It put into sharp relief what happens in the worst case when that ends and you still have more than half your life to live.

Danny Baker recalls going to his home for the first time, and realising that, out of the huge number of sporting trophies Gazza had stashed away from his youth, only the minority were for Football. He was someone who seemed to excel at any sport he tried, and he hated it being too easy, so he'd invent handicaps for himself even in a casual kickabout or a game of pool in the pub. A remarkable man, but with a self-destructive streak.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I watched some of the unnecessary remake of Black Narcissus.

What it adds: nice HD colour shots of spectacular scenery. Gemma Arterton looking rather hot in a nun's outfit.

What it lacks: the feverishly gripping, claustrophobic madness of the original movie.

All a bit downbeat and "meh", despite being very well made on a technical level. Why bother, though?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, tim2 said:

What channel? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

What channel? 

I recorded it from Sky Documentaries a few weeks ago and finally got round to watching it. If you've got Sky it's probably on catchup somewhere.

• Thanks 1

I watched the programme about Penguin's on BBC 1 last night, although it was complied from other wildlife documentaries it was still by far the best thing on this Christmas I have seen. I could watch them for hours🐧🐧 Fascinating that they now track them by satellite because of the size of the herds on the ice their c rap leaves a brown stain that is visible from space as they move onto fresh ice.

I wonder if Parliament is likewise visible🤔

Edited by Clogiron
Additional content

I started it ages ago but finally finished watching The Good Place on Netflix last night.

Really enjoyed it throughout all four series.

Funny, inventive and thought provoking too, especially the final episode.

I watched nearly ten minutes of inside the factory before I just had to knock it off due to the utterly annoying irritating infuriating it’s all about me I’m so funny did you know I was a greengrocer Greg Wallace . That would be a good show about how things are made if he wasn’t on it

• Like 1

Watching a repeat of the chase and the question is, "In 2010, Neil Robertson became the first player from which country to win the world snooker championship?" This is incorrect, the first World champion from Australia was Horace Lindrum in 1952, I'm a big snooker fan, I know this for a fact, it's so annoying when questions are just blatantly wrong on quiz shows, how hard is it for the people setting the questions to just do a quick google search to check the facts?! 

• Like 1