The TV Thread

3 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Deutschland 89 starts this Friday on More 4. The final  follow up to Deutschland 83 , which was excellent, and Deutschland 86 , which was ok but spread the story a bit too thinly over the episodes. 

Yep, really looking forward to it, Deutschland 83 is one of my favourite series of all time. Absolutely brilliant. Agree 86 wasn't quite as good but still very enjoyable. 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just put that on my watchlist, but haven't started it yet. What are the books like?

My only experience of the Lupin character is an early Hayao Miyazaki anime, which is pretty good fun.

Just started episode 1 about 10 minutes ago. I think this one's worth following for the whole series. There's a charm and light-footed sense of fun that you don't see all that often in this era of over-padded series of gruff, over-acted earnestness.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I caught twenty minutes of an episode of The Avengers yesterday morning, I hadn't realised quite how surreal the later series were. Contract killers dressed as clowns killing people with custard pies laced with glue to suffocate their victims? 

42 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I caught twenty minutes of an episode of The Avengers yesterday morning, I hadn't realised quite how surreal the later series were. Contract killers dressed as clowns killing people with custard pies laced with glue to suffocate their victims? 

It got pretty crazy at times. Which channel is showing the programme?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC4 started showing one of my most influential TV comedies. Forget Fawlty Towers, me and my mates gathered around our 1976 TV to watch "The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin".

This was the height of sarcastic television. We loved the idea that somebody could be so bored they would fake their own death to set up a company selling rubbish, which is pretty much 2021.

I had a manager who would, in all honesty, say "I didn't get where I am today....", before I would start giggling. We had a Senior Nurse who would say Great, Super to everything he said, She was born in 1980 so had never seen the series.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

BBC4 started showing one of my most influential TV comedies. Forget Fawlty Towers, me and my mates gathered around our 1976 TV to watch "The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin".

This was the height of sarcastic television. We loved the idea that somebody could be so bored they would fake their own death to set up a company selling rubbish, which is pretty much 2021.

I had a manager who would, in all honesty, say "I didn't get where I am today....", before I would start giggling. We had a Senior Nurse who would say Great, Super to everything he said, She was born in 1980 so had never seen the series.

I have the DVD box set, and also David Nobbs' trilogy of books. The latter are well worth a read, as they include much more of Reggie's internal dialogue, which adds to the humour.

Mind you, in the books, Jimmy has an affair with his niece, Reggie's daughter. That never made it to the screen and, I think, was the right decision.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I have the DVD box set, and also David Nobbs' trilogy of books. The latter are well worth a read, as they include much more of Reggie's internal dialogue, which adds to the humour.

Mind you, in the books, Jimmy has an affair with his niece, Reggie's daughter. That never made it to the screen and, I think, was the right decision.

I would love to know Reggies Internal dialogue, it would be very close to mine ATM

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

I would love to know Reggies Internal dialogue, it would be very close to mine ATM

It emphasises the inescapability and cyclic nature of his life too, which is the main theme. Wherever he goes, whatever he does, however outrageous, he finds himself surrounded by the same people and feeling the same despair.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

It emphasises the inescapability and cyclic nature of his life too, which is the main theme. Wherever he goes, whatever he does, however outrageous, he finds himself surrounded by the same people and feeling the same despair.

Yes, I felt the same way before I moved out of Uxbridge to Hastings.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think it emphasises the cyclical nature of the human being, and how we can break the cycle to rejuvenate ourselves into a better human, as long as we don't overdo it, as we shall see in the later series, and then we revert to a Descart-ist sub realism of what we expect our lives to be.

Talking of comedy from the past, Arena at 10pm this evening on BBC4 is about the Secret Policeman's Ball shows.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Talking of comedy from the past, Arena at 10pm this evening on BBC4 is about the Secret Policeman's Ball shows.

As a lifelong member of Amnesty, I remember these SPB Concerts. I joined AI in 1975

Edited by Bleep1673

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As a lifelong member of Amnesty, I remember these SPB Concerts. I joined AI in 1975

I just hope the performance-to-reminiscence ratio is heavily front-loaded.

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just seen this announcement. I'm a big fan of the original show, got the boxset, but can't say I'm optimistic, I'm never a big fan of reboots anyway but with the dad having died a couple of years ago, who was probably the best character, and the dog obviously not returning, I can't say I'm encouraged right from the get go. 

46 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just seen this announcement. I'm a big fan of the original show, got the boxset, but can't say I'm optimistic, I'm never a big fan of reboots anyway but with the dad having died a couple of years ago, who was probably the best character, and the dog obviously not returning, I can't say I'm encouraged right from the get go. 

The Paramount announcement that all the things you liked about the original - and then saying "coziness" and Kelsey Grammar - did seem to miss the point that it was popular because of the ensemble and their friction.

Plus it was very much of its time, key members are dead, the rest appear to be massively uninterested.

The only thing I will say in its favour is that I thought the idea of taking Frasier out of Cheers in the first place was daft and I was wrong. There's a chance this will be good but I'd say the law of averages, as well as everything we've heard, says not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, in more positive views, if you're after some Luxembourgish crime drama in your lives then Netflix have the 12 part (each episode under 30 minutes) Capitani for you.

It's not perfect but it's a lot better than a lot of the more high concept fare on display at the minute. A second series is being filmed at some point this year according to Wiki.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just finished War Dogs (2016) on Prime Video and can recommend highly. A massage therapist (!) and his best school pal reunite to fill arms orders for the US Government during the Iraq War. What is refreshing and successful is the humour injected into the film through the character played by Jonah Hill. Based on true events with a cracking soundtrack.

On 24/02/2021 at 07:57, Bleep1673 said:

Even today if me and the wife go out for a meal and we are directed to sit on a chair with a leather seat I always make the sound that occurred when Reggie sat in the chair in his bosses office when the wife sits down.  Stupid, infantile, sad but it cracks me up every time 😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pop-up alert just now. The new season of The New Legends of Monkey is on Netflix.

The first season had close to the right levels of cheese that the original Monkey had. Good hopes the second will build on that.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Pop-up alert just now. The new season of The New Legends of Monkey is on Netflix.

The first season had close to the right levels of cheese that the original Monkey had. Good hopes the second will build on that.

can't wait! - please open the pubs clubs and bars, please let's get gigs going again - i can't stand anymore tv- apart from rl coverage i don't care if i never see a tv again- i can't stand to waste my life away like a block of lard on a sofa watching the latest sheet like a saddo 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile