The TV Thread

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Always loved Jimmy in Reginald Perrin, always round on the cadge due to a cockup on the catering front and generally being totally tactless. 

I read the books too, including the one where he starts a sort of hippy commune. 

Have you seen 'Fairly Secret Army'? Geoffrey Palmer plays Major Harry Truscott, who is essentially Major Jimmy "cock-up" Anderson in all but name. It even links in to the Perrin story where Jimmy is stockpiling rifles.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

can't wait! - please open the pubs clubs and bars, please let's get gigs going again - i can't stand anymore tv- apart from rl coverage i don't care if i never see a tv again- i can't stand to waste my life away like a block of lard on a sofa watching the latest sheet like a saddo 

Press the on/off button on your remote. Job done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

can't wait! - please open the pubs clubs and bars, please let's get gigs going again - i can't stand anymore tv- apart from rl coverage i don't care if i never see a tv again- i can't stand to waste my life away like a block of lard on a sofa watching the latest sheet like a saddo 

‘A block of Lard’ you say.  Email the BBC and you might be offered a guest spot on the next series of Have I Got News For You. (This might go way over the head of young people on this site).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

catchphrase on in the background- someone refresh my mind- whos catchphrase was "filing cabinet"?

When Catchphrase is mentioned, this is mandatory.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/02/2021 at 15:20, ckn said:

Pop-up alert just now. The new season of The New Legends of Monkey is on Netflix.

The first season had close to the right levels of cheese that the original Monkey had. Good hopes the second will build on that.

as in monkey magic??? please say it is, pleeeeease!

54 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Yes, the remake. Had worries they'd try to make it more serious, but no, cheese all the way through and so it bloody well should have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

45 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, the remake. Had worries they'd try to make it more serious, but no, cheese all the way through and so it bloody well should have.

I watched series 1 when it first came out, and enjoyed it very much. Another fantasy show shot Down Under, like Hercules and Xena, as some of the accents show.

Don't expect the garish and somewhat crude look of the Seventies show, and there's definitely a modern feel to the dialogue. Monkey himself isn't quite as noisy and chaotic, and Tripitaka is less of a shrinking violet. Pigsy is similar, while Sandy is less of a whinger and more offbeat/flaky (and played by <gasp> a GURL!). :kolobok_shok:

I'm on to episode 2 of series 2, and it is looking good.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This new guy playing Monkey has just been absent-mindedly whistling the theme tune to the Seventies show. Nice call-back! :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/02/2021 at 15:20, ckn said:

Pop-up alert just now. The new season of The New Legends of Monkey is on Netflix.

The first season had close to the right levels of cheese that the original Monkey had. Good hopes the second will build on that.

CBBC (and therefore the iPlayer) have just started showing series 1 of The New Legends of Monkey, so you don't need Netflix unless you're too impatient to wait for each episode to air, or for whenever series 2 gets broadcast.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 28/02/2021 at 14:45, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Damn Netflix.

Monkey, Piggy, Tripitaka, and ........ the other one....Sandy.

Friday nights were always great.

Dad pretending to cook before sending us off to the chippy on his night off from Gardeners of Patricroft. Then Monkey, with the really badly dubbed vocals, and over the top acting, we loved it.

Edited by Bleep1673

Plot summary[edit]

Monkey (孫悟空, Son Gokū), the title character, is described in the theme song as being "born from an egg on a mountain top"; a stone egg and thus he is a stone monkey, a skilled fighter who becomes a brash king of a monkey tribe, who, the song goes on to claim, was "the punkiest monkey that ever popped".[1] He achieved a little enlightenment, and proclaimed himself "Great Sage, Equal of Heaven".[2] After demanding the "gift" of a magical staff from a powerful dragon king, and to quiet the din of his rough antics on Earth, Monkey is approached by Heaven to join their host, first in the lowly position of Master of the Stable (manure disposal), and then—after his riotous complaints—as "Keeper of the Peach Garden of Immortality".

Monkey eats many of the peaches, which have taken millennia to ripen, becomes immortal and runs amok. Having earned the ire of Heaven and being beaten in a challenge by an omniscient, mighty, but benevolent, cloud-dwelling Buddha (釈迦如来, Shakanyorai), Monkey is imprisoned for 500 years under a mountain in order to learn patience.

Eventually, Monkey is released by the monk Tripitaka (三蔵法師, Sanzōhōshi), who has been tasked by the Boddhisatva Guanyin (観世音菩薩, Kanzeon Bosatsu) to undertake a pilgrimage from China to India to fetch holy scriptures. The pair soon recruit two former members of the Heavenly Host who were cast out and turned from angels to "monsters" as a result of Monkey's transgressions: Sandy (沙悟浄, Sa Gojō), the water monster and ex-cannibal, expelled from Heaven after his interference caused Heaven's Jade Emperor's (天帝, Tentei, Shangdi) precious jade cup to be broken (his birthname is also later revealed to be Shao Chin, having been abducted as a child, but meets his long-lost father, in "The Beginning of Wisdom"), and Pigsy (猪八戒, Cho Hakkai), a pig monster consumed with lust and gluttony, who was expelled from Heaven after harassing the Star Princess Vega—the Jade Emperor's mistress—for a kiss.

A dragon, Yu Lung (玉龍, Gyokuryū), who was set free by Guanyin after being sentenced to death, eats Tripitaka's horse. On discovering that the horse was tasked with carrying Tripitaka, it assumes the horse's shape to carry the monk on his journey. Later in the story he occasionally assumes human form to assist his new master, although he is still always referred to as "Horse".

Monkey can also change form, for instance into a hornet. In Episode 3, The Great Journey Begins, Monkey transforms into a girl to trick Pigsy. Monkey's other magic powers include: summoning a cloud upon which he can fly; his use of the magic wishing staff which he can shrink and grow at will and from time to time, when shrunk, store in his ear, and which he uses as a weapon; and the ability to conjure monkey warriors by blowing on hairs plucked from his chest.

The pilgrims face many perils and antagonists both human, such as Emperor Taizong of Tang (太宗皇帝, Taisōkōtei) and supernatural. Monkey, Sandy, and Pigsy are often called upon to battle demons, monsters, and bandits, despite Tripitaka's constant call for peace. Many episodes also feature some moral lesson, usually based upon Buddhist and/or Taoist philosophies, which are elucidated by the narrator at the end of various scenes.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have to ask though, who really fancied Tripitaka, and spotted she was a woman from the get go?

Sadly, that actress, Masako Natsume, died quite young, aged only 27. She did a bit of modelling as well as acting, but Monkey is definitely the role she's remembered for.

Here's the new Tripitaka.

UZ4IK7ZVU4L2MJZU4U5LQPGBSA.jpg

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And here's the whole gang.

newlegendsofmonkey_06.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Of course, the serious Yang to Monkey's delirious Yin was The Water Margin. Both were based on old Chinese classics.

“Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon? So does one just man become an army…”

the-water-margin-1973.png

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And here's the whole gang.

newlegendsofmonkey_06.jpg

looks like a bad day in the "dressing up cupboard"- them boots the fat one has on are on special offer £15 wyndsors world of shoes 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile