The TV Thread

On 23/02/2021 at 21:46, Futtocks said:

Talking of comedy from the past, Arena at 10pm this evening on BBC4 is about the Secret Policeman's Ball shows.

Paricularly loved that sketch about the end of the world and Rowan Atkinsons "Will the wind " question .

The wife and I have just spent Saturday night on Brit Box andย watched the second instalment of theย Hits of the 80โ€™s with the top 30 songs of 1981.

Great to see songs that we both knew and danced to in the local night club when we were 17 years of age. ย But with it brings a crushing realisation that those songs are 40, thatโ€™s FORTY years old. ย Where did that time go? ย We ended up looking on Google to check if Brian Ferry, Shakinโ€™ Stevens and Buster Bloodvessel were still amongst us ... and thank god they are.

To finish off the night whilst knocking back a few double Bacardi and cokes and still watching Brit Box we watched the first two episodes of Grange Hill. ย I even remembered the opening sequence where Benny Green is the first pupil to arrive at school kicking his football. ย Life is never dull at our house. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

ย 

Great to see songs that we both knew and danced to in the local night club when we were 17 years of age. ย But with it brings a crushing realisation that those songs are 40, thatโ€™s FORTY years old. ย Where did that time go?ย ย 

lots of those songs you talk about are way older than 40 years old as a good proportion of them will be covers, the shakin stevens, bad manners etc versions of the songs may be 40 years old but the songs themselves are older

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophileย 

I am not happy. I'm watching Pointless celebrities and the question is UK cities starting with one of the letters of HOLBY. A contestant says Hull which is of course incorrect as the city is Kingston-upon-Hull but the answer is accepted. This is literally wrong! Just because the city is almost always called Hull does not mean that is the official name, there is nothing official about calling the city Hull, its just a shortened version of the name like saying Wakey or Donny or something like that. They are essentially saying you could call Burton on Trent, Trent or Richmond upon Thames, Thames or somewhere else like that. The worst thing about it is Richard, I love myself who do you love?, Osman didn't even address that it is technically incorrect, they just acted like Kingston-upon-Hull is called Hull. My God, this is supposed to be the BBC's flagship quiz show, I have literally lost all respect for the programme, what little respect I had left anyway. I am very annoyed.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I am not happy. I'm watching Pointless celebrities and the question is UK cities starting with one of the letters of HOLBY. A contestant says Hull which is of course incorrect as the city is Kingston-upon-Hull but the answer is accepted. This is literally wrong! Just because the city is almost always called Hull does not mean that is the official name, there is nothing official about calling the city Hull, its just a shortened version of the name like saying Wakey or Donny or something like that. They are essentially saying you could call Burton on Trent, Trent or Richmond upon Thames, Thames or somewhere else like that. The worst thing about it is Richard, I love myself who do you love?, Osman didn't even address that it is technically incorrect, they just acted like Kingston-upon-Hull is called Hull. My God, this is supposed to be the BBC's flagship quiz show, I have literally lost all respect for the programme, what little respect I had left anyway. I am very annoyed.

love your location on your avatar though

• Haha 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophileย 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So "Hull" is actually the place Bob Marley sings about. Well, you learn something new everyday. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

So Hull is really Kingston? Why do they call it Hull then? Is Bradford upon Avon (not the scummy Bradford I live in, the posh one) actually called Avon?ย 

I've actually done a lot of reading into this in the past. There doesn't seem to be one definitive reason as to why people shortern the name.

Essentially a port existed on the river before a large settlement did, the port was set up by the monks of Meaux Abbey, the ruins of which are just to the north of the current city. So from the start people were calling this area the Port of Hull because that is what it was.ย 

However, during Edward I's wars against Scotland he needed a port in the North to land all his equipment for the campaigns and chose the Port of Hull to do this. Due to this use, Edward I changed the name of the settlement that had grown up to serve the port, Kingston in reference to its royal connection. This is the point where it officially became Kingston, just over 700 years ago. The newly named Kingston will of course had the 'upon Hull' bit added to distinguish it from other places named Kingston.ย 

It's probable people kept referring to the settlement simply as the Port of Hull or just Hull because they were talking about the port and not the town that went with the port simply because if you were coming to the town in the past it was almost certainly some business you had at the port. The main reason for the shortening to Hull seems to stem back to the civil war when the war was initially plotted in Hull and some of the first actions took place here when Charles I was refused entry to the city to get to his arsenal. The city was very staunchly parliamentarian and the citizens will not have wanted their city to have been referred to as a King's Town and so they informally dropped the Kingston part as an act of protest against the monarchy. The city's name in official charters was not changed though, it was, and still is, Kingston upon Hull, just informally and unofficially called Hull.ย 

So to sum up, it is called Kingston upon Hull because it was named this by Edward I in about 1299.ย 

It is referred to as Hull to distinguish it from other Kingstons and as a sign of protest from the mid 17th century when the city fought against the monarchy.ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

So "Hull" is actually the place Bob Marley sings about. Well, you learn something new everyday. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

Actually Kingston, Jamaica was renamed Kingston in honour of the monarchy, it was originally called Beeston after one of the 17th century Governors of the colony.ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Actually Kingston, Jamaica was renamed Kingston in honour of the monarchy, it was originally called Beeston after one of the 17th century Governors of the colony.ย 

Northampton and Southampton were both originally called Hampton and added their geographic bits on later to distinguish them from each other.

Haverfordwest and Hereford were both, at the time, called the same in English so one got the West on the end. (I have a feeling that locals do just call it Haverford).

I used to know a whole bunch more of these but it turns out you occasionally need to replace useless knowledge with kids' timetables and the like ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Northampton and Southampton were both originally called Hampton and added their geographic bits on later to distinguish them from each other.

Haverfordwest and Hereford were both, at the time, called the same in English so one got the West on the end. (I have a feeling that locals do just call it Haverford).

I used to know a whole bunch more of these but it turns out you occasionally need to replace useless knowledge with kids' timetables and the like ...

Exactly, there are plenty of places that informally adapt their names, Hull isn't unique in this sense, it's maybe just a little different in that they drop the first part of the name and not the last but of course I've given reasons for that above.ย 

I should add a little more context as well. The town that grew up with the port in the 12th century was called Wyke. It was the town of Wyke that was renamed Kingston, there has never ever been a town here officially called Hull. You still occasionally see the Wyke name referenced in things like the rugby league team, Hull Wyke and the sixth-form college, Wyke College. You see the official Kingston name is things such as the telecoms company Kingston Communications, or KCOM as it is these days.ย 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nobody caresย 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Its accurate, I'm just drifting along the river, why bother with all that flapping to get places when I can just float along?ย 

So you're a Canadian goose ?ย 

False picture in the avatar ?

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've actually done a lot of reading into this in the past. There doesn't seem to be one definitive reason as to why people shortern the name.

Essentially a port existed on the river before a large settlement did, the port was set up by the monks of Meaux Abbey, the ruins of which are just to the north of the current city. So from the start people were calling this area the Port of Hull because that is what it was.ย 

However, during Edward I's wars against Scotland he needed a port in the North to land all his equipment for the campaigns and chose the Port of Hull to do this. Due to this use, Edward I changed the name of the settlement that had grown up to serve the port, Kingston in reference to its royal connection. This is the point where it officially became Kingston, just over 700 years ago. The newly named Kingston will of course had the 'upon Hull' bit added to distinguish it from other places named Kingston.ย 

It's probable people kept referring to the settlement simply as the Port of Hull or just Hull because they were talking about the port and not the town that went with the port simply because if you were coming to the town in the past it was almost certainly some business you had at the port. The main reason for the shortening to Hull seems to stem back to the civil war when the war was initially plotted in Hull and some of the first actions took place here when Charles I was refused entry to the city to get to his arsenal. The city was very staunchly parliamentarian and the citizens will not have wanted their city to have been referred to as a King's Town and so they informally dropped the Kingston part as an act of protest against the monarchy. The city's name in official charters was not changed though, it was, and still is, Kingston upon Hull, just informally and unofficially called Hull.ย 

So to sum up, it is called Kingston upon Hull because it was named this by Edward I in about 1299.ย 

It is referred to as Hull to distinguish it from other Kingstons and as a sign of protest from the mid 17th century when the city fought against the monarchy.ย 

๐Ÿ˜ด

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I hate knowledge too.

Same. Don't know what his problem is. If he isn't interested he could just scroll past. Given the likes I've received for my the explanations of my disgust it seems there are some of us that are interested in a bit of local history. Maybe my simple explanations were just a bit too complicated for him to comprehend.....

As I'm sure you understand, I was merely pointing out that a quiz show had accepted an incorrect answer and that as a result I found the quality of said quiz poor. Similarly, if they had a question like, 'UK cities with the letter V or C in them' I would like to think they would accept Brighton and Hove and City of London say. Just because we almost always say, simply Brighton or London does not make them the official names of the places.ย 

But hey, we'll just ignore facts and knowledge in favour of general ignorance.....

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Same. Don't know what his problem is. If he isn't interested he could just scroll past. Given the likes I've received for my the explanations of my disgust it seems there are some of us that are interested in a bit of local history. Maybe my simple explanations were just a bit too complicated for him to comprehend.....

As I'm sure you understand, I was merely pointing out that a quiz show had accepted an incorrect answer and that as a result I found the quality of said quiz poor. Similarly, if they had a question like, 'UK cities with the letter V or C in them' I would like to think they would accept Brighton and Hove and City of London say. Just because we almost always say, simply Brighton or London does not make them the official names of the places.ย 

But hey, we'll just ignore facts and knowledge in favour of general ignorance.....

Bingo. And it has set me thinking about whether Hull is an acceptable answer. And also wracking my brains to think of any other places that have a full proper name that is almost universally ignored in favour of an alternative.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bingo. And it has set me thinking about whether Hull is an acceptable answer. And also wracking my brains to think of any other places that have a full proper name that is almost universally ignored in favour of an alternative.

An example I thought of almost immediately (though not actually correct now) is what Rhode Island used to be called until just a few months ago.ย What I mean is, in November 2020, the people of Rhode Island voted to amend the name of the state.

Before that it was officially called, Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations. They have now changed the name to, State of Rhode Island. I suppose this is still relevant because the, 'State of' bit is still going to almost always be dropped in everyday conversation just like, 'the Providence Plantations' was. This is why the general public are always ignorant as to why Rhode Island is named as such. The providence plantations are the mainland part of the state which people think of. Rhode Island is an actual island off the coast which is also part of the state. Its understandable that people shortened the name of the state in casual conversation.ย 

Similarly, its only like us Brits telling people we are from Britain or the UK. I'm not gonna tell someone I'm from, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland every bloody time I have to mention the country when there is a way of them understanding what I mean with a shortened version. This does not mean the country is suddenly called Britain.ย 

You've got me thinking if there is any other places with universally accepted shortened names as well. Might be hard to think because we know the places by the shortened name and so may not be aware of the longer, official and correct name.ย 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

Anybody who watches Pointless for more than 2 minutes wants their head examiningย 

The shows name tells you all you need to knowย 

I think the Goose has been hallucinating again , probably some ' funny ' Amsterdam cake mixed in with the breadย 

29 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

An example I thought of almost immediately (though not actually correct now) is what Rhode Island used to be called until just a few months ago.ย What I mean is, in November 2020, the people of Rhode Island voted to amend the name of the state.

Before that it was officially called, Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations. They have now changed the name to, State of Rhode Island. I suppose this is still relevant because the, 'State of' bit is still going to almost always be dropped in everyday conversation just like, 'the Providence Plantations' was. This is why the general public are always ignorant as to why Rhode Island is named as such. The providence plantations are the mainland part of the state which people think of. Rhode Island is an actual island off the coast which is also part of the state. Its understandable that people shortened the name of the state in casual conversation.ย 

Similarly, its only like us Brits telling people we are from Britain or the UK. I'm not gonna tell someone I'm from, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland every bloody time I have to mention the country when there is a way of them understanding what I mean with a shortened version. This does not mean the country is suddenly called Britain.ย 

You've got me thinking if there is any other places with universally accepted shortened names as well. Might be hard to think because we know the places by the shortened name and so may not be aware of the longer, official and correct name.ย 

I've now been sent down a rabbit hole in which it appears that there isn't actually a country called France. There is "Rรฉpublique franรงaise" which is more commonly known as France but ...

Loving this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I've now been sent down a rabbit hole in which it appears that there isn't actually a country called France. There is "Rรฉpublique franรงaise" which is more commonly known as France but ...

Loving this.

Yep, we've stumbled on a great game here! Maybe you should start a specific thread for this so we can leave the sofa surfers to their television related discussions.ย 

• Thanks 1

Working my way through The Terror in BBC iPlayer at the moment.

19th century sailing ships beset in the Arctic ice, what's not to like?

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.