The TV Thread

Already mentioned on the cross-code thread, but Oily John has given up broadcasting, to take up a role with the RFU.

A good day for RL and TV. :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I like bbc  4  , some quality documentaries . 

Well, you'll get to see them again. And again. And again. It'll be like Sky Arts, where you're never more than a couple of hours away from a show about Antonio "needy" Pappano.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the best historic series of recent years on BBC 4 ,  Wolf Hall , Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell was superb with Damian Lewis as Henry V111 , Claire Foy as Anne Boleyn and Bernard Hill as Duke of Norfolk .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stirlin said:

One of the best historic series of recent years on BBC 4 ,  Wolf Hall , Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell was superb with Damian Lewis as Henry V111 , Claire Foy as Anne Boleyn and Bernard Hill as Duke of Norfolk .

Indeed . I always thought there’d be a follow up but it never materialised . Great music to 

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . I always thought there’d be a follow up but it never materialised . Great music to 

Found this on Google....

The BBC's director of content Charlotte Moore confirmed to Radio Times that an adaptation of Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light is in the works as a sequel to the 2015 series .

I liked the music too , very atmospheric.

An interview with Mark Rylance he revealed that on the day of the shoot for Boylens beheading it was a hot August day but just before Claire Foy appeared the wind blew up , drizzle started and it became very cold on set. Once the head had been lopped the weather brightened up and became warm and sunny.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

See the boat race is on telly today . Oxford and Cambridge in the final again 

That's only cos Hull Uni were disqualified for using a speedboat but it's the competition organisers' fault for just calling it boat race and not specifying what kind, personally I think Oxford and Cambridge are just making it harder for themselves rowing. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That's only cos Hull Uni were disqualified for using a speedboat but it's the competition organisers' fault for just calling it boat race and not specifying what kind, personally I think Oxford and Cambridge are just making it harder for themselves rowing. 

Exactly , a speedboat race like in Moonraker would be miles better for viewers 

• Like 1

I watched "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" last night, I really enjoyed the first one, and I have kept missing the second one for various reasons, but I made an effort last night, it's just a shame the script writers didn't. The one thing I did find funny was the reprise of the Charley character who is a bad guy, who has the same surname as someone very close to me.

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I watched "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" last night, I really enjoyed the first one, and I have kept missing the second one for various reasons, but I made an effort last night, it's just a shame the script writers didn't. The one thing I did find funny was the reprise of the Charley character who is a bad guy, who has the same surname as someone very close to me.

I've heard things about the sequel and why a lot of people don't like it, so I'm staying clear. The first was a whole lot of fun, and maybe the franchise can be revived if they make a third one as clever and fun as the original.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 31/03/2021 at 18:44, Futtocks said:

I thought it already had been an archive channel for years, as nothing new seems to appear, and the last 12 months has also infiltrated BBC 1&2, especially as they are forced into showing Reggie Perrin & Fawlty Towers at peak times on BBC1, we will be seeing the Wombles soon, Cbeebies haven't shown anything new for 15 years, because by the time the kids grow out of Mr Tumble, and Tellytubbies, a new group are experiencing them for the first time.

BBC4: Fred Dibnah & The Joy of Painting? Oh, come on, is that why we avoid the license fee?

Edited by Bleep1673

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I thought it already had been an archive channel for years, as nothing new seems to appear, and the last 12 months has also infiltrated BBC 1&2, especially as they are forced into showing Reggie Perrin & Fawlty Towers at peak times on BBC1, we will be seeing the Wombles soon, Cbeebies haven't shown anything new for 15 years, because by the time the kids grow out of Mr Tumble, and Tellytubbies, a new group are experiencing them for the first time.

BBC4: Fred Dibnah & The Joy of Painting? Oh, come on, is that why we avoid the license fee?

There's still some new content (quite a lot of it co-productions) appearing now, but far less than it used to be. Okay, a lot of that old stuff is still pretty good, but does look like the channel (like a lot of the BBC) is being driven into the ground and being made less attractive.

This seems to have accelerated since the new party stooge DG was installed, and I'm sure that the virulently anti-BBC people (with vested interests) like Paul Dacre and Charles Moore approached to take over positions of significant power over broadcasting will continue the process.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/04/2021 at 13:55, Futtocks said:

There's still some new content (quite a lot of it co-productions) appearing now, but far less than it used to be. Okay, a lot of that old stuff is still pretty good, but does look like the channel (like a lot of the BBC) is being driven into the ground and being made less attractive.

This seems to have accelerated since the new party stooge DG was installed, and I'm sure that the virulently anti-BBC people (with vested interests) like Paul Dacre and Charles Moore approached to take over positions of significant power over broadcasting will continue the process.

Please don't politicise this thread.

This one is exclusively for discussing stuff folk have watched on the telly.

Issues relating to the management or direction of the Beeb, or the pros and cons of the licence fee, need to be discussed in the politics sub forum.

Thanks.

A brief request for information: it is my habit, when watching scheduled commercial tv programmes to mute the sound during ad breaks. Do others do likewise?

29 minutes ago, JCO said:

A brief request for information: it is my habit, when watching scheduled commercial tv programmes to mute the sound during ad breaks. Do others do likewise?

Not usually while watching regular broadcast TV, although Six Nations trailers obviously get the treatment when I'm watching BBC.

But my YouTube is currently infested by London Mayoral Election adverts from Laurence Fox and Brian Rose. They get muted, then skipped as soon as the countdown allows it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, JCO said:

I try never to watch telly programmes that have adverts in .They’re so annoying and on sky channels endless . Record them , or watch on catch up . Or wait till about 15 minutes in then can FF them .If it’s unavoidable during a sports prog or something knock onto another channel or go and do summat else for a few minutes .

Also , on a diversion here , I’ve stopped watching the news in recent times . I use to watch the news channels a fair bit but they were annoying me so much I ignore them now and the news in general . I feel a lot better for it , I don’t know what’s going on as much but heh they’re you go , it was all doomy anyway 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1