The TV Thread

On 21/04/2021 at 10:31, Robin Evans said:

I watch little TV other than factual stuff, docs, natural world stuff and sport....

I've never seen line of duty.... I felt like the only one in the universe who hasn't watched it.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! And the wee donkey!

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

33 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Don't forget tonight Norwich's number 1 celeb is back. Alan Partridge AH HAA!!

funny 20 years ago but not now - clapped out old idea that ran its course long ago - steve coogan was once one of the most promising british talents in years but he ran in to a creative roadblock 

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Don't forget tonight Norwich's number 1 celeb is back. Alan Partridge AH HAA!!

Clashes with the Rugby, so thank God for the iPlayer.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching Pointless and, in his first appearance on yesterday's show, Harry started so many sentences with "so", I took agin him.

Today, he revealed that he's started playing Rugby League at university and now I want him to win.

I am that shallow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shame this is on Apple - if it is half as good as the book, I'd love to see it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Line of Duty - amazing for 6.86 series. 

Rubbish for 0.14. 

I must have missed series 7

Last night’s episode was a bit disappointing 

Edited by Shadow

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Indeed, I thought it was a bit disappointing, too. All too neat and tidy... But I bet it is not really the last we've heard from AC12. 

Now you’re suckin diesel, fella

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought the whole series of line of duty was underwhelming . It seemed to be the thing to say how wonderful it was , but i found it disappointing and even more far fetched than before . The early seasons were great but it got a bit sillier as it went on . Then at the end I’m thinking ‘ is that it ?  ... all that build up and they get a bloke because he can’t spell ‘ . Game of Thrones ending was bad but that wasn’t far off . Ted is still great though , the undoubted star of the whole thing 

Edited by DavidM

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I thought the whole series of line of duty was underwhelming . It seemed to be the thing to say how wonderful it was , but i found it disappointing and even more far fetched than before . The early seasons were great but it got a bit sillier as it went on . Then at the end I’m thinking ‘ is that it ?  ... all that build up and they get a bloke because he can’t spell ‘ . Game of Thrones ending was bad but that wasn’t far off . Ted is still great though , the undoubted star of the whole thing 

Firstly, the finale was bobbins.

Secondly, I think the issue with the final series is that it's actually pretty boring to follow a bunch of people who have no real control over what they are doing. In previous series, the person/situation being investigated was corrupt, dodgy (etc) and it was all about how they would crumble and what damage that would cause. This time around everything was out of the hands of both the investigators and those being investigated.

To use an old RL analogy: it lacked jeopardy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And what was this all powerful OCG ? Who was in charge of that and giving all these directives ? And it was so pervasive it had people literally everywhere , I mean really . And how often can you do the hijacked convoy routine ... and where are these totally empty streets with not a soul around where you can have a good old gun battle . The Bodyguard used that one as well . And why was James Nesbitt in it ... not to be in it ?  

• Like 1

Forget about Line of Duty, a real crime drama starts on Channel 4, Sunday 9th May 9:00pm.

Season 4 of Fargo is here and doesn’t disappoint, set in 1950’s Chicago the first episode sets the scene, showing the transfer of power on ethnicity lines  prior and up to 1950.

That’s all I’m saying, although I’ve been lucky enough to see the full series, no more spoilers😀

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

And what was this all powerful OCG ? Who was in charge of that and giving all these directives ? And it was so pervasive it had people literally everywhere , I mean really . And how often can you do the hijacked convoy routine ... and where are these totally empty streets with not a soul around where you can have a good old gun battle . The Bodyguard used that one as well . And why was James Nesbitt in it ... not to be in it ?  

Yes - how does an OCG that has dissolved (apparently) but gone into disparate elements (unspecified) coordinate itself enough to consistently have dozens of black range rovers, prison officers and snipers on speed dial?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

LoD is fiction.  so, its a bit far -fetched in places, but then so is Macbeth, the Bible, Star Wars and Inside No. 9 . The Craig Parkinson "Obsessed " podcasts have been great entertainment in my opinion. 

Edited by JohnM

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

LoD is fiction.  so, its a bit far -fetched in places, but then so is Macbeth, the Bible, Star Wars and Inside No. 9 . The Craig Parkinson "Obsessed " podcasts have been great entertainment in my opinion. 

All of those, except the Bible, have their own internal logic that means they stand up to scrutiny (talking about only the original Star Wars trilogy here). So did (most) of what happened in previous LoD series. The only thing that, in the end, rang true in this series of LoD was the message that in this country we have corrupt incompetents in high office. But that wasn't expressed through drama but rather messages on screen and the characters just saying it out loud.

I have a brother-in- law, recently retired Met Chief Superintendent. He tells me it’s about as far from being true to life as it’s possible to be.

There again he could be lying and be part of the conspiracy 😲

• Haha 2

On 05/05/2021 at 16:25, Stirlin said:

If the previous season's  are anything to go by Moose we are in for a treat.

watched this series ages ago and it is brilliant though a little strange, i will be watching again.

• Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

3 hours ago, Moose said:

I have a brother-in- law, recently retired Met Chief Superintendent. He tells me it’s about as far from being true to life as it’s possible to be.

There again he could be lying and be part of the conspiracy 😲

i prefer my crime drama as it should be- swigging scotch - smokin fags - shag in birds and punching villans while screeching round the streets in an unmarked cortina 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile