The TV Thread

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i prefer my crime drama as it should be- swigging scotch - smokin fags - shag in birds and punching villans while screeching round the streets in an unmarked cortina 

Face it Johnny - Juliet Bravo will never get another series.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Face it Johnny - Juliet Bravo will never get another series.

My dad met Juliet Bravo ( the actress ) on a train and talked to her ... not that he mentioned it very often .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

how has james nesbitt managed to get away with 20 odd years on tv playing the same person? similar to william roache playing ken barlow but just james nesbitt playing himself as well? the same character?

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This Coronation Street storyline about goth girl and her fella getting beat up seems to be based on the Sophie Lancaster case where a bunch of scumbags killed a goth lass a few years ago. 

they are all running out of ideas- dev will be getting running over by a tram in blackpool next

On 06/05/2021 at 19:32, DavidM said:

My dad met Juliet Bravo ( the actress ) on a train and talked to her ... not that he mentioned it very often .

My dad was, in the late 1960s, once in the same pub as Angela Douglas.

Sometimes whole days can pass without him mentioning it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

To be fair, it’s a good way of raising awareness about stuff like that. I’m sure you can relate, like me and all my mates at the time getting attacked for being punks or alternative. Luckily we mostly gave as good as we got....usually lol

it still happens now- some local dic ck eds who know nothing about our scene will have had a few drinks and start on us psychobillys- last time they did it they were unaware "TINY" was at the loo and when he came back he cleaned his hands on their heads - we left and went back to the venue and watched some good bands

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My dad was, in the late 1960s, once in the same pub as Angela Douglas.

Sometimes whole days can pass without him mentioning it.

in the same pub at the same time? or just in the same pub?

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

in the same pub at the same time? or just in the same pub?

Depending on how he decides to play the story - and do bear in mind this man became an Archdeacon - there's a whole raft of alternatives.

But the truth of the matter is that he was in London for some reason and went to a pub in the West End which, for an hour or so, was also frequented by Angela Douglas and a female friend who was not Angela Douglas and so does not feature much in the story.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/05/2021 at 19:32, DavidM said:

As a jobbing young musician, my dad was backstage at some outdoor event in Scotland and it was bitterly cold, so when someone next to him offered a swig of whisky from a hip flask, he happily accepted it. The kindly supplier of that sweet, sweet slug of booze was Bing Crosby.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Johnoco said:

This Coronation Street storyline about goth girl and her fella getting beat up seems to be based on the Sophie Lancaster case where a bunch of scumbags killed a goth lass a few years ago. 

It was. I only know about it (don’t watch corrie) as there was on the news ahead of the show. Sophie’s family were interviewed about it

what did anyone think to inside no9?  was i missing something? or was it very poor for the standards of previous episodes?

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what did anyone think to inside no9?  was i missing something? or was it very poor for the standards of previous episodes?

I think a lot of the jokes were from the broader end of their range, playing on the commedia dell'arte references. That probably means next week's will be completely different.

Still enjoyable, but not one of their finest episodes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

53 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think a lot of the jokes were from the broader end of their range, playing on the commedia dell'arte references. That probably means next week's will be completely different.

Never a classic

one for the purists

where have I heard that before 😂

30 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I never had anything quite as bad as poor Sophie but I wouldn’t mind a pound for every time I was hit/attacked simply for being a punk in the early 80’s. And practically all my mates from that era too. It wasn’t good but we got used to it and became decent runners. 

It was probably worse for the isolated proto-punks in 76/77.  Being different in a provincial town was a world away from the throng battling the Teds up and down the King`s Road.

As a impartial juvenile observer, the cat-calling and intimidation the early punks faced, put me in mind of the gauntlet Quentin Crisp ran when he ventured out dressed up, as portrayed by John Hurt in the TV adaptation of The Naked Civil Servant.

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think it helped if you knew what commedia dell’arte was.  I didn’t, so it didn’t grab me like others.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think it helped if you knew what commedia dell’arte was.  I didn’t, so it didn’t grab me like others.  

They'll have a go at anything, just because they can - in series 4, they did an entire episode in iambic pentameters.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They'll have a go at anything, just because they can - in series 4, they did an entire episode in iambic pentameters.

This episode reminded me a lot of that one. And seems to have gone down similarly, a bit of a love it or hate it. Though as you said earlier, you can pretty much guarantee next week's will be completely different.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

what is it?

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

what is it?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

45 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As my daughter started secondary school last September I find Motherland even more hilarious. 

I've just started watching Motherland in the last week, thought I'd give it a go cos I was looking for a new sitcom to watch and iplayer recommended it. I have to say, I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far, very funny, made even better because I've always had a thing for gingers. Diane Morgan. 😍

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've just started watching Motherland in the last week, thought I'd give it a go cos I was looking for a new sitcom to watch and iplayer recommended it. I have to say, I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far, very funny, made even better because I've always had a thing for gingers. Diane Morgan. 😍

Chalk and cheese with Anna Maxwell Martin , bloody funny in Motherland and ice cold in Line of Duty.

• Like 1

The first semi-final of the Eurovision Song Contest is on BBC4 tonight at 8pm. Hurry, hurry, hurry, or you won't be in that special first 100 posts about Israel not being in Europe, block voting, where's Terry Wogan and claiming you never watch that rubbish when you secretly do (and love it). :kolobok_wink:

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson