The TV Thread

Malta's a hot favourite, apparently. But it's just a Britain's got Talent reject, singing a song that rips off large chunks of Israel's 2018 winner, a song which was rotten to the core to start with.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

These were my tips for the top.

Lithuania
Russia
Sweden
Ireland
Cyprus
Norway
Belgium
Azerbaijan
Ukraine
Malta

9 out of ten got through. Only Ireland let me down. Pipped by Israel.

I know my stuff! :kolobok_music:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

What sort of crazy world are we living in when Ireland don't get in the Eurovision song contest? 😑😑

Well, it does cost a lot for the winners to host the competition...

588037-singstar-the-divine-comedy-my-lov

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watching 'Domina' on Sky Atlantic at the moment, tells the 'true' story of  Livia Drusilla, a naïve young girl who goes on to marry the emperor Augustus and become one of the ancient world’s most powerful women.  It's the story from the perspective of the women of ancient Rome.

Although I will probably watch all the episodes, it hasn't really grabbed me (like 'I Claudius' did all those years ago) as there is not one character that you actually feel any empathy for.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

2 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Watching 'Domina' on Sky Atlantic at the moment, tells the 'true' story of  Livia Drusilla, a naïve young girl who goes on to marry the emperor Augustus and become one of the ancient world’s most powerful women.  It's the story from the perspective of the women of ancient Rome.

Although I will probably watch all the episodes, it hasn't really grabbed me (like 'I Claudius' did all those years ago) as there is not one character that you actually feel any empathy for.

Tiny Ginger is doing an essay on Livia at the minute. If it is following the truth - or at least an interpretation of it given that quite a lot is open to doubt - then the reason you don't have anyone to feel empathy for is because they were all awful people.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Newton - John ?

I'd get that joke.

He would not.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

George Gently, Inspector- series 1-4 (3,4,2,2 episodes) - full series made from 2008-2011.  
Amazon Prime.

https://watch.amazon.co.uk/detail?asin=B083C5NB69&territory=GB&ref_=share_ios_season&r=web

Peter Flannery and Alan Hunter (novelist) are the main writers on this very good series, starting in 1964.  Flannery was of course behind the brilliant Our Friends in the North.  This series shares some of its grittiness and subject matter, with a plethora of excellent actors; set/filmed in the North East, but also filmed in Ireland!  The attention to details of the era is very good.

From a late episode: [WPC Coles has tracked down a suspect that Gently and Bacchus have been trying to trace]:

John Bacchus: So what you are going to do after you've nicked me job then, Rachel? Are you going to surgically remove me balls, are you? 

Rachel Coles: No you can keep those for decorative purposes. You might run out of fluffy dice for your car window. 

John Bacchus: Well I don't have any fluffy dice. 

Rachel Coles: And you don't have any balls, either. 

Note that Amazon has the full series of 8, which ended in 2017. However, this is not available under Prime.

Edited by glemiln
  • Like 1

Between the performances and the results, Eurovision had a little flashback. Remember Ruslana? Yes, I bet you do.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/05/2021 at 08:32, Futtocks said:

Well, it does cost a lot for the winners to host the competition...

588037-singstar-the-divine-comedy-my-lov

In 1995, after they`d won the three previous contests, the Irish were desperately hoping they wouldn`t win again. Their entry that year must have felt like cannon-fodder.

Just when they thought they were out of the woods, they won again in 1996.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

The UK's Eurovision Final results.

Jury vote: zero points

Public vote: zero points

We were the only country with a par score. Woohoo!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

See you all next year when we'll again enter some random bloke from the pub singing a rubbish song and then cry politics when he doesn't do well. 

Exactly this.

Song wasn't too bad this year but it didn't stand out, it was staged on the cheap and, compared to 90% of the entries, the bloke singing it lacked charisma.

But, yeah, it's because of Brexit, you see. Europe, all of them, hate us because of that. And, anyway, Europeans don't really understand pop music anyway. It's all David Hasselhoff over there.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I literally cheered when our final score was announced! 😂

More of an achievement to come bottom and get absolutely nothing than come bottom and get just a few points. I think we can be proud of that! 😊

I did hope that politics might give us a few points over Israel on the basis that if you can’t be less unpopular than them at the moment it may be time to give up and go home.

After watching it I think our entry was so poor that it outrated the political element in it’s awfulness 

to call it lacklustre is to over praise it.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The UK's Eurovision Final results.

Jury vote: zero points

Public vote: zero points

We were the only country with a par score. Woohoo!

Why? I know the song was rubbish, but so many others were too.

Fall out from Brexit?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Why? I know the song was rubbish, but so many others were too.

Fall out from Brexit?

Might we have done something in the last few years to become a pariah state in European eyes?

I wanted Ukraine and Cruella d'Orville to win.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a special mention for Amanda Holden's toe-curling appearance as the score announcer for the UK.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson