The TV Thread

Fortunately, came across this gem - Pond Life (2018) on Amazon Prime.  Filmed in and around Maltby, South Yorkshire and set against the deprivation of the mining community in 1994. The mainly young cast are exceptional along with the writing of Richard Cameron and first time, I believe, direction by Bill Buckhurst.  A nod to Ken Loach. 

On 19/07/2021 at 00:28, Bearman said:

This despite the fact that Cornwell pinched Richard Sharpes name from a rugby union international.

Really? Which one? 

You lot are lucky to have someone as funny as me around. 

The first episode of this was on last night, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/secrets-of-the-london-underground/watch-online 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Really? Which one? 

You lot are lucky to have someone as funny as me around. 

He didn't say. I think it might have been Micky Steele Bodger

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Countdown now have Ann Robinson in the chair , doesn`t work take her off now , trying to bring the worn out "weakest link " act on to another show is embarrassing .

I believe I saw that weakest link is being brought back. I'm so fed up with TV and film just rehashing old ideas. 

16 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Countdown now have Ann Robinson in the chair , doesn`t work take her off now , trying to bring the worn out "weakest link " act on to another show is embarrassing .

It doesn't take much googling to reveal just how little Robinson did herself for that programme nor how she was hated by pretty much everyone involved with the production.

She seems a really odd choice for Countdown.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watched Mythic Quest on Apple.  I liked it.  Based in a video game production house, with enough geeky nods to gaming.  Both series have a stand alone episode (2 in series 2) that are much less comedy/played straight, but are actually the best episodes.  

Also Ted Lasso is back.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Watched Mythic Quest on Apple.  I liked it.  Based in a video game production house, with enough geeky nods to gaming.  Both series have a stand alone episode (2 in series 2) that are much less comedy/played straight, but are actually the best episodes.  

Also Ted Lasso is back.  

Loved the new episode of Ted Lasso also finding Schmigadoon strangely compelling 

This afternoon (24/7/2021).

4pm

Talking Pictures TV

Laurel & Hardy

Way out West

Message ends.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If anybody enjoys watching Horrible Histories "with their kids", and has watched Ghosts will be pleased to know the 3rd series is coming up soon.

Strange coincidence, the house where it is filmed was also inherited by a relative that didn't know he had a connection, the inheritor was University Challenges Bamber Gascoigne.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If anybody enjoys watching Horrible Histories "with their kids", and has watched Ghosts will be pleased to know the 3rd series is coming up soon.

Strange coincidence, the house where it is filmed was also inherited by a relative that didn't know he had a connection, the inheritor was University Challenges Bamber Gascoigne.

At 86 he is still alive.

On 22/07/2021 at 07:14, gingerjon said:

It doesn't take much googling to reveal just how little Robinson did herself for that programme nor how she was hated by pretty much everyone involved with the production.

She seems a really odd choice for Countdown.

why can't she move her face?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

The wind changed direction

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1971 (Apple TV+) Series of eight programmes

Eight episodes charting a tumultuous year in music, politics and society on both sides of the Atlantic as told through the eyes of those who lived through them and those who created the soundtrack to the events.

Of course this has been tried before usually with a narration to stitch things together, but 1971, skilfully employing a lot of rarely seen archive material manages to achieve storytelling without a storyteller.

The music is at the heart of the programmes but the wider context is explored too cleverly giving you a feel for the times and a better understanding of the artistic process without getting technical.

9/10

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

1971 (Apple TV+) Series of eight programmes

Eight episodes charting a tumultuous year in music, politics and society on both sides of the Atlantic as told through the eyes of those who lived through them and those who created the soundtrack to the events.

Of course this has been tried before usually with a narration to stitch things together, but 1971, skilfully employing a lot of rarely seen archive material manages to achieve storytelling without a storyteller.

The music is at the heart of the programmes but the wider context is explored too cleverly giving you a feel for the times and a better understanding of the artistic process without getting technical.

9/10

If you are interested in the music side of that year, David Hepworth's "1971" is well worth a read 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Plastic surgery. They used real plastic.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Another shake your head answer from (a repeat) of Tipping Point yesterday -

'The highest and most prestigeous British military honour was last awarded by the Queen to Joshua Leakey in 2015.  What was it?'

Answer "Was it a brooch?".

"No, it wasn't a brooch, the answer is the Victoria Cross"

"Victoria Cross? That's a medal?"

• Confused 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

Another shake your head answer from (a repeat) of Tipping Point yesterday -

'The highest and most prestigeous British military honour was last awarded by the Queen to Joshua Leakey in 2015.  What was it?'

Answer "Was it a brooch?".

"No, it wasn't a brooch, the answer is the Victoria Cross"

"Victoria Cross? That's a medal?"

I watch these quiz shows and I just swear people are getting stupider.

I was watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire earlier and the question is, 'The J. Edgar Hoover Building is the headquarters of which organisation?' the options given are, 'FBI, CIA, UN or NATO'. 

The woman immediately says, "I know J. Edgar Hoover was the head of the FBI". She then mulls over it for 10 minutes and uses 2 lifelines before giving the FBI as her answer and of course getting it right. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watch these quiz shows and I just swear people are getting stupider.

Nah.

The thick have always been among us.

Don't believe me? Just look at the 'facts' that old folks share on Facebook.

Oh, and a long time ago, I asked for anime recommendations on here and got a bunch back. I've just finished watching, and mostly enjoying, Netflix's latest 'anime-inspired' creation, Trese. The Manila-noir bits are a lot more interesting than the inevitable 'here come the monsters' finale but it's all good.

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Good point. Though I do wonder, who has told these people they are intelligent enough to go on a quiz show? Or how egotistical are they that they think they are intelligent enough?? 

You say that but some of these people are walking away with thousands of pounds.