The TV Thread

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I’ve started watching Anime thanks to my daughter being a fan. I’ve got up to date with Attack On Titan which is really good and I have now started with One Punch Man on Netflix.

I'll assume you're familiar with Studio Ghibli's work, then.

Outside Ghibli's catalogue of memorable animated movies, 1988's Akira is a must-watch. More recently, Your Name (2016) is a superb one to seek out. Also, the original Ghost in the Shell (1995) should be on the watchlist, if it isn't already.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/08/2021 at 21:53, Liverpool Rover said:

The final season of The Walking Dead starts tonight but I will have to subscribe to Disney plus to watch it. I wonder how long I will last before I cave in.

Was it worth sticking with? I found it repetitive and infinite bullets just dull. I gave up a few series ago, S8 was my last and that was a catch up due to no longer having Sky.

4 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Was it worth sticking with? I found it repetitive and infinite bullets just dull. I gave up a few series ago, S8 was my last and that was a catch up due to no longer having Sky.

I’ve got too invested in it to give it up so I thought it was worth sticking with but there have been lots who gave up with it. If you gave up by season 8 then it probably wouldn’t have got much better for you.

On 06/09/2021 at 17:01, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm not usually one for BBC drama series but I must say the adverts for The North Water have been intriguing me and I think I'll give it a watch. Been a bit obsessed with ships recently since I've been reading the Aubrey-Maturin novel series! 

Written by a Hull bloke and the ship sails from Hull on its mission. I enjoyed it.

Oh yes and Stephen Graham..enough said.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Every time I see the advert for Affordable Funerals and it says, "even some celebrities choose affordable funerals" I think, how is that a selling point? I'm not gonna choose to be burnt by them because someone famous was as well, I mean, I'm being cremated, I'm dead, I couldn't give a toss if a celebrity was cremated by the same people. Some celebrities engage in beastiality but it doesn't encourage me to take up such practices. 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Some celebrities engage in beastiality but it doesn't encourage me to take up such practices.

That's what you told the police, anyway.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Every time I see the advert for Affordable Funerals and it says, "even some celebrities choose affordable funerals" I think, how is that a selling point? I'm not gonna choose to be burnt by them because someone famous was as well, I mean, I'm being cremated, I'm dead, I couldn't give a toss if a celebrity was cremated by the same people. Some celebrities engage in beastiality but it doesn't encourage me to take up such practices. 

who are the "some celebrities" they refer to? and how do they define the word celebrity? old ken armstrong still goes in the local wmc everyday at 88 and will arm wrestle any one who wants to take him on and was in the background in a scene on hi de hi -thus making him a local celebrity 

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 08/09/2021 at 00:50, jacksy said:

Written by a Hull bloke and the ship sails from Hull on its mission. I enjoyed it.

Oh yes and Stephen Graham..enough said.

And featuring one of our own, the great Tom Courtenay, as a ruthless ship owner. Growing up on Hessle Road he should know a thing or two about them,

Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 06/09/2021 at 17:01, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm not usually one for BBC drama series but I must say the adverts for The North Water have been intriguing me and I think I'll give it a watch. Been a bit obsessed with ships recently since I've been reading the Aubrey-Maturin novel series! 

Yes it is only first episode but so far so bland , Farrell depicted as a hard man ? , gaining weight and growing a beard does not cut it , he should have watched his co star Jack O' Connel in Starred Up to know real menace.

Will stick with it for Jack and Steven Graham.

Just started watching The Cleaner (BBC iPlayer). Greg Davies plays a crime scene cleaner and Helena Bonham Carter plays a whimsical, bonkers murderer. I'm quite enjoying it.

Quite apart from anything else, the height difference is amusing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just started watching The Cleaner (BBC iPlayer). Greg Davies plays a crime scene cleaner and Helena Bonham Carter plays a whimsical, bonkers murderer. I'm quite enjoying it.

Quite apart from anything else, the height difference is amusing.

Ah, it turns out that HBC is just the guest star in episode 1. Still, worth watching the rest - David Mitchell is in episode 2.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

well done to ant and dec for their latest tv award- the recognition of their talents is underplayed and this award is so richly deserved 

If all you have to do to win best presenter 20 years in a row is present a knock off Noels House Party and do a few links for a reality show then where do I sign up?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If all you have to do to win best presenter 20 years in a row is present a knock off Noels House Party and do a few links for a reality show then where do I sign up?

can you grin and guffaw like them though, its not as easy as they make it look- grinning and guffawing for over 20years is an art form only top talent like these 2 can perfect

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile