The TV Thread

On 30/10/2021 at 01:23, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Right so I've watched the first two episodes of The Outlaws.

Brilliant. Really, really enjoyed it and just peed off that the rest of it isn't on iplayer yet or I'd just binge the whole thing tonight. 

Not what I thought it was going to be which is a good thing. From the ads I thought it was just gonna be another run of the mill BBC sitcom. No, this is actually more of a crime drama with a bit of humour thrown into the mix. Very well written, so engaging, really draws you in and I think it's the characters that do this. Each character is incredibly unique, each got their own quirks and very distinct personalities. The show slowly feeds you little snippets of their back stories which is just leaving you desperate to know more. The lead girl in it is particularly good I think, plays a great role as a shy, nerdy girl that is just thrown into this world that is so alien to her, making you sympathise with her a great deal. 

As I said earlier in the thread, the thing that made me curious about this show was the presence of Christopher Walken. I have huge respect for him and the writers for just taking an equal role with the other main actors and not being made the star and put front and centre which the writers could have so easily done. He is clearly comfortable not being the centre of attention and playing a much more subtle and quiet role than I certainly expected, although with the way the second episode went, he may become a bit more important as it goes on. 

I really recommend this show if you haven't already started watching it yourself. 

Decided to give this a go, partly because Christopher Walken is in it and partly because of your enthusiastic comments.

Glad I did. I think it's a superb piece of TV, well written with an outstanding cast. Some of the footage of Bristol is great too, especially if you like the city, which I do.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Ive been watching The Movies That Made Us on Netflix . Bruce Willis got 5 million dollars for Die Hard even though hardly anyone wanted him but just about everyone else turned it down 

arthur mullard would have done it but the vest was a bit tight

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

looks like its going bristols up for countdown with that awful anne robinson upsetting the lovely rachel riley- all i know it is hardly watchable with robinson in the chair, the old trolly cant speak properly and hardly move her mouth or face for some reason- the contestants and everyone around look anxious and on edge with her at the helm - her presenting style (are lack of it)does not fit the show in the slightest - it may have fit the bill on a totally different quiz 25years ago but the toxic panto is embarrassing and has no place on a national treasure such as countdown 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

looks like its going bristols up for countdown with that awful anne robinson upsetting the lovely rachel riley- all i know it is hardly watchable with robinson in the chair, the old trolly cant speak properly and hardly move her mouth or face for some reason- the contestants and everyone around look anxious and on edge with her at the helm - her presenting style (are lack of it)does not fit the show in the slightest - it may have fit the bill on a totally different quiz 25years ago but the toxic panto is embarrassing and has no place on a national treasure such as countdown 

Right from the start, it sounded like a terrible miscalculation to have Anne Robinson take over the job. The Anne Robinson of 20-30 years ago would have been great, but she's become a one-note caricature.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently revisiting old pleasures. Nice...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

56 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I used to love It's Me or the Dog, but this new series is already very similar to Eat Well For Less, idiot families who can't be bothered to  learn the basic skills needed.

Eat Well For Less does my head in. "Oh we are living in poverty because we are too thick to realise spending £100 a week on wine is a stupid thing to do and it's more important we impress our friends with our branded products than shop in aldi and save a fortune. We need you to show us where we can save money even though at the end of the show we aren't gonna take on any of your advice anyway and are still gonna keep buying the expensive plonk even though we couldn't tell the difference between a £50 or a £5 bottle. Oh poor us..!" Tw*ts. 

On 11/11/2021 at 08:52, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Eat Well For Less does my head in. "Oh we are living in poverty because we are too thick to realise spending £100 a week on wine is a stupid thing to do and it's more important we impress our friends with our branded products than shop in aldi and save a fortune. We need you to show us where we can save money even though at the end of the show we aren't gonna take on any of your advice anyway and are still gonna keep buying the expensive plonk even though we couldn't tell the difference between a £50 or a £5 bottle. Oh poor us..!" Tw*ts. 

Not seen the program yet and hopefully never will but I totally agree with your last word …… providing the missing letter is an ‘a’!

Top Gear - I don't often watch it, but I saw they were doing a tribute to Eddie Kidd.

And it is a fine thing, in spite of Paddy McGuinness' bellowings. What a star Eddie was.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm watching an old TV special on YouTube. In the cast are Tom Jones, Kirk Douglas, Hermione Gingold, Rudolf Nureyev, Jonathan Winters, The Carpenters, Chief Dan George, Lorne Green, Charlton Heston, Michael Landon, Terry-Thomas, Elliott Gould, Raquel Welch and Engelbert Humperdinck.

They don't put that kind of effort in these days...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Talking Pictures TV will launch an online catch-up service next month, which is one of the best bits of broadcasting news I've heard in quite a long time.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Talking Pictures TV will launch an online catch-up service next month, which is one of the best bits of broadcasting news I've heard in quite a long time.

That channel is a goldmine. Saw a 1935 film on their a couple of weeks back called Turn of the Tide set in the fictional Yorkshire fishing village of Bramblewick which was actually Robin Hood's Bay. Was great to see location shots of Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby as they were almost a century ago. The actors' attempts at a North East Yorkshire accent were entertaining too.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

26 minutes ago, Ullman said:

That channel is a goldmine. Saw a 1935 film on their a couple of weeks back called Turn of the Tide set in the fictional Yorkshire fishing village of Bramblewick which was actually Robin Hood's Bay. Was great to see location shots of Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby as they were almost a century ago. The actors' attempts at a North East Yorkshire accent were entertaining too.

The catch-up service is something people have been begging for, but the channel couldn't afford to set up 'til now. And I keep getting Tweets about things I'd be interested in watching, but broadcast at inconvenient times of day for me.

I don't know how comprehensive the service will be, what with licencing etc., but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/11/2021 at 21:02, Futtocks said:

Top Gear - I don't often watch it, but I saw they were doing a tribute to Eddie Kidd.

And it is a fine thing, in spite of Paddy McGuinness' bellowings. What a star Eddie was.

He once did a show at Oakenshaw Park in Bradford.

Fell off.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I was watching a documentary , I think on history channel , and I could barely hear the person talking as there was drums banging away in the background .   At times you don’t notice but I wonder why so many documentaries insist on having music playing pretty much all the way through , even during dialogue . What’s the point ?

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was watching a documentary , I think on history channel , and I could barely hear the person talking as there was drums banging away in the background .   At times you don’t notice but I wonder why so many documentaries insist on having music playing pretty much all the way through , even during dialogue . What’s the point ?

I know what you mean. Some ambient background audio can certainly add atmosphere, but they often get the balance wrong.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Billion Dollar Code -  excellent German production on Netflix with a mix of German and English dialogue.
Across 4 episodes and total 4.5 hours.

In 1990s Berlin, an artist and a hacker invented a new way to see the world. Years later, they reunite to sue Google for patent infringement on it.

Only Murders in the Building - comedy set against the murder podcast genre/craze.  Probably a year or two late as that craze has wained somewhat.  I thought it was fun and Short and Martin bounce off each other well.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Only Murders in the Building - comedy set against the murder podcast genre/craze.  Probably a year or two late as that craze has wained somewhat.  I thought it was fun and Short and Martin bounce off each other well.  

I enjoyed it, not sure if there's a second series in the pipeline

• Like 1