The TV Thread

dont know a single person who is watching im a celeb get me out this time round- not heard a single person talk about it so far once - clapped out format - dead horse flogging 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

‘Outlaws’ was great I thought. Why the writing was clever was that you had characters like the lefty black woman and the white Daily Mail type guy,who weren’t defined purely by their political views. Both said things that you could acknowledge had a point and both could look the other way when it suits. They were human and you saw both sides to them, which is a rarity today. 
My only criticism is that I think the ending was a bit rushed? But overall really good.

I enjoyed Dalgliesh on C5 , a channel I watch a lot of with good drama and docs on . The acting talent of the guy was hardly stretched as he did pretty quiet and enigmatic , but it held the attention to the end . I’m not a fan of cutting episodes in two though . Funnily enough I’ve recorded the two feature length shows Martin Shaw did a few years back , and I remember watching Roy Marsden playing the character when I was growing up .  Thing that sticks in my mind from that is the brilliant and quite haunting theme tune 

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

‘Outlaws’ was great I thought. Why the writing was clever was that you had characters like the lefty black woman and the white Daily Mail type guy,who weren’t defined purely by their political views. Both said things that you could acknowledge had a point and both could look the other way when it suits. They were human and you saw both sides to them, which is a rarity today. 
My only criticism is that I think the ending was a bit rushed? But overall really good.

Yeah I loved it too. The ending was a bit rushed but they filmed this series and the second one back to back so it might be that the story carries on into the next series to a certain extent. And Christopher Walken painting over a Banksy was brilliant! 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stirlin said:

Watergate

I must have been in the pub when this was on originally , this is a hoot , loads of detail I never knew and at times it is laugh out load funny , Worth four hours of your time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000v4bn/watergate-series-1-1-breakin

Ooh, thanks! I didn't spot this in the listings. Quite a tale - I used to have a cassette of the debates between Timothy Leary and G.Gordon Liddy which were fascinating and a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adam Hills was almost deliriously happy about C4 showing Super League on Last Leg. He took a lot of ignorant flak from Widdecombe and Brooker but then played the Kevin Sinfield card which seems to trump everything at the moment.

Speaking of Aussies, I watched the Australian comedy-drama series Rake on Netflix - fell away at the end but fun most of the way through and had lots of mentions of "footy".

I'm also watching Tiger King 2, which I really shouldn't because it's voyeuristic carp that is enriching some really unpleasant people. Can't help it though, it's like crack.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

19 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Adam Hills was almost deliriously happy about C4 showing Super League on Last Leg. He took a lot of ignorant flak from Widdecombe and Brooker but then played the Kevin Sinfield card which seems to trump everything at the moment.

Speaking of Aussies, I watched the Australian comedy-drama series Rake on Netflix - fell away at the end but fun most of the way through and had lots of mentions of "footy".

I'm also watching Tiger King 2, which I really shouldn't because it's voyeuristic carp that is enriching some really unpleasant people. Can't help it though, it's like crack.

Watched TK2 last weekend. The ending was good 

Really enjoyed Lindisfarne's Geordie Genius: The Alan Hull Story on BBC4 last night. What a brilliant songwriter he was, surely one of Britain's finest ever.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

Really enjoyed Lindisfarne's Geordie Genius: The Alan Hull Story on BBC4 last night. What a brilliant songwriter he was, surely one of Britain's finest ever.

what songs did he write?

4 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Fog on the Tyne ?.

and that makes him one of britains greatest song writers ever?

Edited by graveyard johnny

Just finished watching Ted Lasso series 1 and 2 on Apple+ 

Must see tv for any football/sports fan as it sends it up perfectly with the fictional tale of an American Football coach being recruited to manage a Premier League team.

Eventually this becomes a vehicle for quite an emotional character driven drama, but there’s a lot of good performances and writing as the action moves off the pitch.

Worth a try and I can fully understand why it won an award in America.

8/10

• Like 1

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

what songs did he write?

Too many for me to list. Watching the programme would give you a good idea of his talent though.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Get Back on Disney.  Only seen part 1, but that is a marathon on its own.  Probably too long for regular viewers, but amazing in parts.  Just to hear the beginnings of some their greatest hits.  Hearing the tune you know emerging from nowhere.  Those bits are fantastic.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 26/11/2021 at 07:34, Johnoco said:

Series 2 on its way. too.👍👍

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0011wzr

The Man who knew infinity

A true story, with a fine cast of some of our senior thespians including Jeremy Irons, and with the excellent Dev Patel as a poor Indian and skilled mathematician.  Set partly in India, but largely at Trinity College, Cambridge, leading into 1914.  Available only for 20+ days and an opportunity to delve into academia/prejudice and partition mathematics!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glemiln said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0011wzr

The Man who knew infinity

A true story, with a fine cast of some of our senior thespians including Jeremy Irons, and with the excellent Dev Patel as a poor Indian and skilled mathematician.  Set partly in India, but largely at Trinity College, Cambridge, leading into 1914.  Available only for 20+ days and an opportunity to delve into academia/prejudice and partition mathematics!

are there any scantily clad fit birds in it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

The 12 Days of Christine.

Still one of the best 30 minutes of television.

Just brilliant, must watch it again sometime.