The TV Thread

The Talking Pictures TV "Encore" catch-up service has gone live!

PS: It is as slow as a RU forward at the moment, probably because every lover of good broadcasting is trying to log on at once. It'll probably become more useable in a day or three.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Talking Pictures TV "Encore" catch-up service has gone live!

PS: It is as slow as a RU forward at the moment, probably because every lover of good broadcasting is trying to log on at once. It'll probably become more useable in a day or three.

I'm currently using Encore to watch Dick Barton: Special Agent. Stiff upper lips, derring-do, casual racism and a villain called Hetherington, the latter of which should appeal to all non-Leeds fans. :kolobok_wink:

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 28/11/2021 at 11:26, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just finished watching Ted Lasso series 1 and 2 on Apple+ 

Must see tv for any football/sports fan as it sends it up perfectly with the fictional tale of an American Football coach being recruited to manage a Premier League team.

Eventually this becomes a vehicle for quite an emotional character driven drama, but there’s a lot of good performances and writing as the action moves off the pitch.

Worth a try and I can fully understand why it won an award in America.

8/10

About 10 episodes in, and its a superb show. Excellent cast, and a lot of similarities with one of my favourite movies as a kid Major League. 

• Like 1

A couple of things to interest Thin Lizzy fans on BBC2 on Saturday night. There's a new documentary on the life of Phil Lynott at 10pm followed by an old BBC Sight and Sound live performance by the band.

• Thanks 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Night Bomber on Amazon Prime is an account of 24 hours of an airfield in Eastern England and culmating with a night bombing raid of Berlin during WW2.

I found it fascinating

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I am not sure if this has been posted before, but for those of you who love to travel, and can't, because of the plague, iPlayer has both series of a never to be renewed programme. Race Around the World.

Edited by CornwallRL
Renewed for remade
  • Like 1

every time i put a channel on its just a glut of adverts - when a programme does come on it seems to be on for about 4 mins until another glut of adverts if i turn over in protest its usually another glut of adverts its getting to the point i cant stand to have the damn thing on at all

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

every time i put a channel on its just a glut of adverts - when a programme does come on it seems to be on for about 4 mins until another glut of adverts if i turn over in protest its usually another glut of adverts its getting to the point i cant stand to have the damn thing on at all

Try the BBC...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, bentleyman said:

Record it fast forward through the adverts i do they drive me mad 

Exactly the same . I record just about everything I watch , and on the satellite channels it’s a must . I’m fastforwarding 6 or 7 minutes of adverts at times . We’ve gradually got more adverts and less programme per hour over the years. 

On 28/11/2021 at 11:26, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just finished watching Ted Lasso series 1 and 2 on Apple+ 

Must see tv for any football/sports fan as it sends it up perfectly with the fictional tale of an American Football coach being recruited to manage a Premier League team.

Eventually this becomes a vehicle for quite an emotional character driven drama, but there’s a lot of good performances and writing as the action moves off the pitch.

Worth a try and I can fully understand why it won an award in America.

8/10

What I really like about it is how it gets the English bit right. I expected to see a bunch of posh people greet him off the plane while it was chucking it down. It doesn't patronise or caricature.

The darts episode was faintly ridiculous and I don't like where they took the assistant but otherwise a great show.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 23:20, Bedford Roughyed said:

Get Back on Disney.  Only seen part 1, but that is a marathon on its own.  Probably too long for regular viewers, but amazing in parts.  Just to hear the beginnings of some their greatest hits.  Hearing the tune you know emerging from nowhere.  Those bits are fantastic.  

I've seen one and a half and as a big Beatles fan it's incredible. I'm dragging it out because I'm enjoying it so much.

It's just crazy to see how they worked and the group dynamics. To turn up with only 4 songs and a planned show in 2/3 weeks! I loved seeing Get Back created and when Harrison turns up with a song he wrote last night - I Me Mine.

It helps to explain why they finished. Essentially I think it's mainly because of group dynamics. Paul said it all with his line, 'my greatest fear is being the boss.' They were seeing him as the boss which was creating resentment, while he felt like they were too directionless.

Much is also being made of Yoko and how her quietness proves she had nothing to do with it, but I don't think it quite does. If you read into some of the dialogue, it's clear her presence/role has been an issue. 

• Like 1

Yeah it was quite funny watching McCartney moan about Ono's presence whilst Linda was sat nearby.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

21 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've seen one and a half and as a big Beatles fan it's incredible. I'm dragging it out because I'm enjoying it so much.

It's just crazy to see how they worked and the group dynamics. To turn up with only 4 songs and a planned show in 2/3 weeks! I loved seeing Get Back created and when Harrison turns up with a song he wrote last night - I Me Mine.

It helps to explain why they finished. Essentially I think it's mainly because of group dynamics. Paul said it all with his line, 'my greatest fear is being the boss.' They were seeing him as the boss which was creating resentment, while he felt like they were too directionless.

Much is also being made of Yoko and how her quietness proves she had nothing to do with it, but I don't think it quite does. If you read into some of the dialogue, it's clear her presence/role has been an issue. 

yes the way macca wrote "get back" was incredible i always thought they got a few words and then put a tune to it, macca just made it up on thw fly.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Just caught up with the first episode of the new series of Two Doors Down. Fantastic and very funny as always. 

the scots have come up with that and "still game" as absolute belting comedies

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Absolutely, Still Game is superb.

Discovered it by chance on BBC2 late one night many years ago. Was immediately hooked and have been a massive fan ever since.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 06/12/2021 at 14:27, John Drake said:

Try the BBC...

Yes indeed. Best for originals, repeats, loads of self-advertising. Or subscribe to Britbox (I haven't, since I don't have any to pay again for something I've already paid for)

In any case, ad breaks are good for old folk with weak bladders.🙂

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

they had all episodes of all series of still game on the iplayer last week- logged on at the weekend to find they have cut it to only series 9 now- FFS!

All 9 series are on Netflix.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally