The TV Thread

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

I’ve not got Sky so i have to make do with the channel’s on free-view. Yesterday, PBS, Smithsonian, BBC2 & 4, and Ch4 have some cracking documentaries on. But the only thing is that they repeat them over & over again. Talking Pictures is the same, although Went The Day Well is so a good film i don’t mind watching it again. 
But the worst channel’s are “Really, Dave, Pick, Dmax, HGTV, Blaze, CBS Reality, More4. I don’t know how they get away with repeating the same things every few weeks. 

I remember the good old days when we only had 3 TV channels and for half the day and most of the night all you'd see was the Test Card.

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I remember the good old days when we only had 3 TV channels and for half the day and most of the night all you'd see was the Test Card.

spacer.png

I'm not generally a nostalgist but I do think the World was a better place before Breakfast and Daytime TV were invented.

• Like 1

Just now, Farmduck said:

I'm not generally a nostalgist but I do think the World was a better place before Breakfast and Daytime TV were invented.

It probably wasn't, but we didn't have all the bad stuff shoved in our faces 24/7 so it seemed a lot quieter at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It probably wasn't, but we didn't have all the bad stuff shoved in our faces 24/7 

like philip schofield and eamonn holmes 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

26 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I watched Death to 2021, the modern day successor to Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, on Netflix.

It must get harder to satirise the news with every passing year.

Is it any good? 

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

spacer.png

The Test Card is quite magnificent. It justifies the licence fee on its own. 

(Not The 9 O'clock News) 

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

spacer.png

That is more entertaining than some of the rubbish they put on today. I don’t know how much Sky is for the basic channels but i wouldn’t want to pay for a rerun of “only fools & horses” for a record one billionth time on UK Gold. I’m pleased we have got podcasts to listen too. 

51 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Is it any good? 

It's much more Americanised compared to Screenwipe. I preferred grumpy old Charlie Brooker just sat in front of a telly grumbling about the news. But, the targets are much the same, so if you enjoyed Screenwipe, you'll like this. If you didn't enjoy Screenwipe, chances are you'll hate it.

15 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I pretty much agree. freeview is now 90+ channels of drivel with the occasional decent 2 hours about twice a week. PBS are running Last voices of WW1 and that's a good set of documentaries. Other than the l only watch "8/10 Cats does countdown"

PBS are running The Vietnam War again at the mo , very good series.

• Like 2

My best shows for 2021 were:

1. The Serpent - incredibly atmospheric and every performance perfect in a true life story of a serial killer on the 70s hippy trail. Absolutely spot on portrayal of Thailand (according to my wife who is of that parish {except for one scene where a Thai lady kissed her boyfriend in public - despite what might be thought in the West still taboo there now}).
  2. Mare of Easttown - Performance of the year from Kate Winslet as a rust belt detective carrying an awful lot of personal baggage.
  3. Wellington Paranormal - very silly Kiwi comedy from the same stable as "What We Do in Shadows" following a couple of dim witted dead pan police officers investigating mysterious sightings. Satan employed as a Santa in a mall anyone?
  4. Clarkson's Farm - funny and informative; there wasn't an episode when I didn't learn something new. The kafkaesque complexity of running a modern day British farm is incredible/absurd.

Mention in dispatches - Dalgleish and Vienna Blood - good quality well set period detective shows; Empire State of Mind - documentaries on the impact of empire on modern Britain,  and last night - Attenborough and the Mammoth Pit - learnt plenty of prehistory I never knew.

On 31/12/2021 at 15:15, John Drake said:

It's much more Americanised compared to Screenwipe. I preferred grumpy old Charlie Brooker just sat in front of a telly grumbling about the news. But, the targets are much the same, so if you enjoyed Screenwipe, you'll like this. If you didn't enjoy Screenwipe, chances are you'll hate it.

I enjoyed it, having the "Soccer Mom" explain  her actions made me laugh

There is a current part of Coronation Street where two girls have knocked down an old man, who subsequently died (not their intention) 

This storyline is a total and exact copy of the Scottish TV  series 'Guilt'. I can't believe they are so blatant about it. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

‘The Man Who Bought Cricket’ on Sky …. The Allen Stanford story

There's also a BBC Sounds podcast on this, which goes into even more detail over several episodes. Fascinating and cringeworthy.

There being a paucity of anything much I want to see on TV over the last few evenings, I've finally got round to watching Clarkson's Farm, which has been both very entertaining and informative so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished watching season 3 of the TV series remake of Lost In Space, it was pretty good and finished the current story line quite well.....They say it is the final season of the show but they left the ending open for further seasons in the future for sure. 

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

Just been watching an old episode of the Australian music quiz Spicks and Specks - our favourite Aussie show - that ran for 7 series from 2005 and was possibly the first Aussie show hosted by RL lover Adam Hills.

During the final credits it showed an old clip of a ‘pop’ group singing their own song to the theme of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo along with the original cast of Skippy - which I can still proudly name - but it also showed a young female character and I was knocked bandy when I realised it was a young Liza Goddard in the cast.

I am old enough to have watched Skippy back in the day but I could not remember her character in the show.

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just been watching an old episode of the Australian music quiz Spicks and Specks - our favourite Aussie show - that ran for 7 series from 2005 and was possibly the first Aussie show hosted by RL lover Adam Hills.

During the final credits it showed an old clip of a ‘pop’ group singing their own song to the theme of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo along with the original cast of Skippy - which I can still proudly name - but it also showed a young female character and I was knocked bandy when I realised it was a young Liza Goddard in the cast.

I am old enough to have watched Skippy back in the day but I could not remember her character in the show.

She married Alvin Stardust, I remember that much. She tended to play 'jolly hockey sticks' type characters IIRC 

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

She married Alvin Stardust

their marriage broke down - in court Alvin said during every argument she refused to STOP shouting , LOOK at his side of the argument  or LISTEN to his point of view 

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile