The TV Thread

I have just watched “Murderous History - Smithsonian Channel” and it was really good. It was about Burke & Hare, i do find it really interesting watching documentaries about the lives of the poor during the Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian eras.  I remember seeing the outfit Burke was hung in, but if i ever go Oop to Edinburgh i will definitely paying a visit to Burkes skeleton (if i am allowed too). 

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

I have just watched “Murderous History - Smithsonian Channel” and it was really good. It was about Burke & Hare, i do find it really interesting watching documentaries about the lives of the poor during the Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian eras.  I remember seeing the outfit Burke was hung in, but if i ever go Oop to Edinburgh i will definitely paying a visit to Burkes skeleton (if i am allowed too). 

I like documentaries and dramas from the Victorian era . Especially murder mysteries . Probably from Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper which I’m well into 

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The ending of the final episode of Derry Girls last night was brilliant TV. 

Given all that has gone wrong with that third series - two year delay, major character being unavailable for large chunks of filming, injury to another, covid restrictions - it is remarkable just how good it was. Yes, some major flaws in the storytelling when set against previous series but the standard was ludicrously good throughout. And that final section was something else - in amongst all the laughs, possibly Liam Neeson's finest acting performance and all he did, objectively, was look at a piece of paper and take his hat off.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The ending of the final episode of Derry Girls last night was brilliant TV. 

Up there with Blackadder Goes Forth 

There must have been some dust in the air in our living room

• 2 weeks later...

My mate has done a dvd for me of the comedy Sally4ever. I only managed to see the first two episodes at my mates and i found it hilarious. I think it came out in 2019, but i have enjoyed Julia Davis in her other comedies Nighty Nighty, Hunderby, Camping. 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2022 at 01:53, Josef K said:

My mate has done a dvd for me of the comedy Sally4ever. I only managed to see the first two episodes at my mates and i found it hilarious. I think it came out in 2019, but i have enjoyed Julia Davis in her other comedies Nighty Nighty, Hunderby, Camping. 

Good call that one,am well pleased.cheers.

• Like 1

Has anyone here seen the sitcom Chelmsford 123? I've had it recommended to me due to my undying love of the sitcom Plebs and I'd never heard of it before and upon doing a bit of research it seems that not many other people have either. It was made in the late 80s/early 90s and seems to have been almost completely forgotten if the lack of info out there about it is anything to go by. In 20 years, there has been only 15 comments posted about it on it's IMDB page which gives a bit of an impression as to how few people know about it. The whole series appears to be on C4s catchup and I was just wondering if its worth investing my time in? From the few comments out there about it most people say it's brilliant, just wondering what my fellow RL fans think? 

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Has anyone here seen the sitcom Chelmsford 123? I've had it recommended to me due to my undying love of the sitcom Plebs and I'd never heard of it before and upon doing a bit of research it seems that not many other people have either. It was made in the late 80s/early 90s and seems to have been almost completely forgotten if the lack of info out there about it is anything to go by. In 20 years, there has been only 15 comments posted about it on it's IMDB page which gives a bit of an impression as to how few people know about it. The whole series appears to be on C4s catchup and I was just wondering if its worth investing my time in? From the few comments out there about it most people say it's brilliant, just wondering what my fellow RL fans think? 

C123, as we aficionados call it (not really) is fun. It was a spinoff from some of the cast of the sketch show Who dares wins. Jimmy Mulville (now founder of Hat trick Productions), Rory McGrath (the hairy one from They think it's all over) and Philip Pope (comedian and musician, whose latter work you will have heard in all sorts of places - look him up on IMDB).

Also in the cast, Neil Pearson (Drop the Dead Donkey), Howard Lew Lewis (Maid Marian & her Merry Men), Geoffrey McGivern (yes, Ford Prefect from Hitch Hikers Guide!) and a few others, like Andy Hamilton, Geoffrey Whitehead and (unfortunately) Chris Langham.

It isn't genius-level life-changing comedy, but is very enjoyable and cleverer than it initially seems.

Plus, if you like accidental anachronisms, there's one scene where Pope's character is about to be knocked out and you can see a mattress (for him to fall on) being pushed along the floor through the doorway behind him.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

C123, as we aficionados call it (not really) is fun. It was a spinoff from some of the cast of the sketch show Who dares wins. Jimmy Mulville (now founder of Hat trick Productions), Rory McGrath (the hairy one from They think it's all over) and Philip Pope (comedian and musician, whose latter work you will have heard in all sorts of places - look him up on IMDB).

Also in the cast, Neil Pearson (Drop the Dead Donkey), Howard Lew Lewis (Maid Marian & her Merry Men), Geoffrey McGivern (yes, Ford Prefect from Hitch Hikers Guide!) and a few others, like Andy Hamilton, Geoffrey Whitehead and (unfortunately) Chris Langham.

It isn't genius-level life-changing comedy, but is very enjoyable and cleverer than it initially seems.

Plus, if you like accidental anachronisms, there's one scene where Pope's character is about to be knocked out and you can see a mattress (for him to fall on) being pushed along the floor through the doorway behind him.

Saw it at the time and remember absolutely loving it.

I have a memory that it is so forgotten that lines used in it turned up in things that the cast/writers did subsequently.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I remember watching this, and really enjoyed it as well. Now I know it's on C4 catch up (thanks Goose), I will be re-acquainting myself with it again.

Just for Laughs: FastTech Forums

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Philip Pope's loathsome character steals so many scenes...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That brings back so many memories. Thoroughly addictive programme back then!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Catching up with a few programmes after being away - 

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Looks great but failing to grab me.  I know its sci-fi, but there are so many plot holes for me.  

Ms Marvel - Looks great and was great.  Only one episode so far, but had humour and pace.  And great style.

The Boys - What can you say.  Just on top form.  A life lesson early on, do not sneeze whilst in a tight space.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The Boys - What can you say.  Just on top form.  A life lesson early on, do not sneeze whilst in a tight space.

🤣

Timothy the Octopus....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Did anybody else watch the Falklands documentary last night with the interviews with soldiers who led the Goose Green / Mount Tumbledown attacks and were on the Sir Galahad?

Utterly absorbing and horrific in equal measure. The interviews with the 2nd Para guys were brutal. Hand to hand warfare is no better than it was in WW2, WW1, the Civil War, the Battle of Hastings, ..... You could have interviewed soldiers from those conflicts and it would have been approximately the same.

All of them were damaged either physically or mentally.

Why on earth the Sir Galahad was floating like a literal sitting duck waiting to be blasted out of the water is a mystery. These guys won that war despite the leadership rather than because of it. The contrast with the scenes back in the UK, and how some of this was glossed over, couldn't have been starker.

When the Tories get rid of the BBC as an independent entity, it's programs like this we will miss.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

21 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I keep putting off watching the new series, and I don't know why. It can't just be Karl Urban's grating Mockney accent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson