The TV Thread

Shown today on Talking Pictures TV, James Mason mooches round London, smoothly voicing over the odd, the ordinary, the funny and the sad. Very much worth a watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC2 - a wonderful hour-long tribute to Raymond Briggs has just finished (fire up the iPlayer!), to be followed by 'Ethel & Ernest'.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

BBC2 - a wonderful hour-long tribute to Raymond Briggs has just finished (fire up the iPlayer!), to be followed by 'Ethel & Ernest'.

I only caught the second half of the tribute and the other Geese wanted to watch something else so couldn't watch Ethel & Ernest despite the other Geese having never seen it before and my insistence it's one of the greatest animations ever. Gonna be an emotional night of iplayer watching for me.

RIP Raymond, enjoy walking in the air forever more! 😢

On 07/08/2022 at 22:15, Bedford Roughyed said:

Started watching the Sandman on Netflix.  Never read the comic but its good so far.  

We watched episode 5 during the week, episode called 24/7. Properly good telly. Thoroughly enjoying it and we'll probably finish the rest this weekend.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 12/08/2022 at 13:24, ckn said:

We watched episode 5 during the week, episode called 24/7. Properly good telly. Thoroughly enjoying it and we'll probably finish the rest this weekend.

Episode 6, The Sound of Her Wings. 

Exceptional. Beyond exceptional.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

C5 have been knocking out some decent drama series lately - Compulsion, Deadline and Witness Number 3 are all worth a watch.

As is Sequestered which is on the STV player.

C5 drama and documentaries are very good , I watch more C5 than BBC1 I’d reckon 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 21:47, ckn said:

Episode 6, The Sound of Her Wings. 

Exceptional. Beyond exceptional.

Have now finished it.

It's up there with the best things Netflix have done and easily amongst the best TV of the year.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 11/08/2022 at 18:03, DavidM said:

Sky History … An Unknown Compelling Force , a 2 hour documentary on the Dyatlov Pass mystery . I’d highly recommend it . It’s also on YouTube 

I haven’t watched that yet but i will do. That was a bizarre incident. 

18 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

It was aliens , I saw it in a film on the Horror Channel .

Must have had boots to crush a chest like they did,local tribe took offence to stolen relics i reckon,  horrific for sure.

4 hours ago, silverback said:

Must have had boots to crush a chest like they did,local tribe took offence to stolen relics i reckon,  horrific for sure.

Indeed , horrendous injuries . And theyd ran away from the tent with often no warm gear . Often the simplest explanation is truth and yes i think some group murdered them as there were several sacred  sites around 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 09:43, gingerjon said:

Have now finished it.

It's up there with the best things Netflix have done and easily amongst the best TV of the year.

Just for your weekend entertainment:

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just for your weekend entertainment:

Gaiman knows how to play the game.

Second series commissions are based on a certain amount of launch data.

This is a perfect bump.

It’s also excellent TV.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Gaiman knows how to play the game.

Second series commissions are based on a certain amount of launch data.

This is a perfect bump.

It’s also excellent TV.

Episode 11 is outstanding telly. Two ways to watch it:

1. pure entertainment. And it’s great telly.

2. an alternative lens on many bits of modern history. And it’s great telly.

Is the documentary on Netflix about Woodstock 99 worth watching. I have read the stories about what went on, the music doesn't bother me i just like to see what went on with the paying & nonpaying spectators. I saw a clip of a mosh for one of the bands and it looked crazy, i don’t think i would’ve survived something like that even in my younger days. 

39 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Is the documentary on Netflix about Woodstock 99 worth watching. I have read the stories about what went on, the music doesn't bother me i just like to see what went on with the paying & nonpaying spectators. I saw a clip of a mosh for one of the bands and it looked crazy, i don’t think i would’ve survived something like that even in my younger days. 

I don't currently have Netflix, but I've heard very good things about that documentary.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/08/2022 at 17:55, Josef K said:

I found it compelling viewing. Watched all three episodes in one go.

One of the young fans they interviewed said the descent into savagery was like The Lord of the Flies. If you watch it you'll understand what he meant.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.