The TV Thread

Anyone committing to the Game of Throne prequel series heading to Sky Atlantic on Monday?

I’m not a huge fan of the dragon fantasy elements and preferred the political intrigue in the medieval setting rather than everything that came later in GoT.

I was going to opt out of this but after reading a couple of reviews then I feel drawn in again.

Duplicate.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

I found it compelling viewing. Watched all three episodes in one go.

One of the young fans they interviewed said the descent into savagery was like The Lord of the Flies. If you watch it you'll understand what he meant.

The American magazine Musician (which I used to buy from one of those weirdly eclectic newsagents that seem to have died out these days) produced this spoof as a response to Woodstock 2.

Some of it has dated a bit (Snoop's gone through at least three name changes since, and Tupac has been more or less canonised by those who know how to monetise a dead sleb), but the point remains.

vJuYNPe.jpg

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The American magazine Musician (which I used to buy from one of those weirdly eclectic newsagents that seem to have died out these days) produced this spoof as a response to Woodstock 2.

Some of it has dated a bit (Snoop's gone through at least three name changes since, and Tupac has been more or less canonised by those who know how to monetise a dead sleb), but the point remains.

vJuYNPe.jpg

Oh that's good.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

13 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Oh that's good.

Looks like the magazine folded in 1999. A shame, because it was a really good one, which was prepared to commit to long-form articles when the material warranted it.

But the last page was always a spoof, and "Altamont 2" was the only one I thought to save and scan.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

I have been watching on PBS “Living In Germany At War”. It is so sad to see how a large majority of the German public fell for the Nazi propaganda & lies. 

They certainly did and unfortunately that's how reactionary politics works. (I won't mention the brexit word). Yep, for a couple of decades Germany had been one of the poorest countries in the world especially through the Weimar years and people could see no end to it and no answers for how to get out of it and when you have a situation like this it's easy for a very confident, enthusiastic politician to step into the void, enthuse the people by using a random group of people as the scapegoats and blame them for everyone's problems and the people who have been searching for answers for years have suddenly been given a solution, a new one that they've never heard suggested before and think, "well nothing else has worked so we might as well try that". It's happened so many times throughout history and it will happen again. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 19:33, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone committing to the Game of Throne prequel series heading to Sky Atlantic on Monday?

I’m not a huge fan of the dragon fantasy elements and preferred the political intrigue in the medieval setting rather than everything that came later in GoT.

I was going to opt out of this but after reading a couple of reviews then I feel drawn in again.

The last series of the first one was just so bad that I can’t drag up the enthusiasm to watch it. If the same script writers were involved, I’ll put it down as “maybe, sometime”

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Same . I rewatch the early GoT series especially as they’re so good 

I decided to try it while waiting on tea cooking. If it didn’t have the original series as the hook, I would have given up after 10 mins. It has none of the immediate grip you got with the original, and the characters are not likeable in any way.

Matt Smith is wrong, a poor casting, mumbling away while trying to appear psychopathic. Paddy Considine fits the role well. The rest are just … wooden. 

Does not justify the high scoring reviews. It tries to shock its way to high scores and fails. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

I decided to try it while waiting on tea cooking. If it didn’t have the original series as the hook, I would have given up after 10 mins. It has none of the immediate grip you got with the original, and the characters are not likeable in any way.

Matt Smith is wrong, a poor casting, mumbling away while trying to appear psychopathic. Paddy Considine fits the role well. The rest are just … wooden. 

Does not justify the high scoring reviews. It tries to shock its way to high scores and fails. 

What's the nipple count?

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched the first 2 episodes of the Wrexham football documentary ,interesting to hear from the Americans that what attracted them was the concept that you can take a team at any level and hopefully move up the league's with promotion ,pity they've probably never heard of rugby league 

18 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I watched the first episode of a House of the Dragon, I’ll give it a few more episodes as I don’t think you can write off a show after just one episode.

On Monday new House of Games, University Challenge and Only Connect start.

This is where I’m at with House of Dragon too. 

The other thing I’m looking forward to is Andor on Disney which reprises the role of a Rebel officer from the Rogue One spin off film and the casting suggests an emphasis on acting performance.

I like a bit of the old ‘pew-pew’ Star Wars action as much as the next man, but it has to be married with a bit of gravitas and it’s rumoured Andor will be a very grown up Star Wars series from Disney.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gordon Street said:

I was rather hoping Tosh would get blown up last week, as I find her a bit irritating.

Tosh and her Tosh face she always puts on for every emotion and situation . I always think with Shetland it’s way drawn out and could probably be done in half the episodes 

Edited by DavidM

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Tosh and her Tosh face she always puts on for every emotion and situation . I always think with Shetland it’s way drawn out and could probably be done in half the episodes 

exactly. I've spent time on shetland, many years ago, and the idea of all those murders surpasses Midsomer murders in terms of the suspension of disbelief, but it's a decent hour's viewing on a Wednesday night, and Julie Graham's in it as well as Henshall. 

3 hours ago, Gordon Street said:

two doors down paralyses me with laughing. The characters are excruciating. 

ever noticed the gay son is the ned from still game?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

ever noticed the gay son is the ned from still game?

yes. That's another great show. I think Boaby the barman from the clansman is brilliantly drawn. I encountered loads like him when I lived in Glasgow. Ned is a generic term in Glasgow. 

Edited by Gordon Street
  • Like 1