The TV Thread

26 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Ridley , new drama starring yer man Adrian Dunbar from Line Of Duty , passable detective viewing , but those songs he sings everyweek are toe curling ........after the likes of Alexander Armstrong , anyone see a CD about to be released ?

If it's got Adrian Dunbar in it you're safe. I thought the first episode was trite from the opening scene onwards; detective arrives at crime scene with takeaway coffee, lifts the barrier tape and gets the lowdown from forensics. There is indeed a cd about to be released. I haven't bothered with it since then. 

18 hours ago, Gordon Street said:

I watched it. it was uncomfortable viewing.

Got the self deprecation out of the way early doors , would have been funnier if he had said he had been staying in Wigan during lockdown to write the gags for this tour.

Some gags hit the mark , but to repeat them over and over and over again was filler...and lazy.

Out of the blue a SHOUTED rant against John Cleese , which was about the only thing he did not repeat.

He mentioned his 15 year old son during the gig who probably wrote the skit on Ricky Gervais .

6 out of 10 , I am being generous as it was taped in my home City.

• Like 1

This is being shown again this evening. An unusual and fascinating documentary - very much recommended.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watched this made for TV movie on Netflix last night. It was called;'I Came By'. Decent quality cast including Hugh Bonneville and Kelly McDonald. Bonneville was hugely upstaged by this double breasted immaculately tailored sage green silk suit. Nevertheless it was a decent tale occupying what might be he psychological thriller genre. One of the crucial aspects of the plot involved Bonneville, cast against type, regularly and frequently, cremating stiffs in a ceramics kiln in the cellar, flushing the ashes down the bog and nobody being any the wiser. I used to teach pottery. Even with a ventilation hood, the fumes and smoke from the burning flesh, bones and viscera wouldn't have just stunk the cellar out leaving deposits that would have been a forensics expert's playground, but would have stunk the house out along with the entire neighbourhood and surrounding neighbourhoods and probably the whole suburb. When I told my wife, she said I was being picky. 

Edited by Gordon Street

Just giving episode 1 of Amazon's The Rings of Power a go. You can certainly see where the money went, and the New Zealand scenery is, as always, spectacular. But this first part is mainly establishing the who, the where and the why, so I'll have to see episode 2 at least.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bit of very good news in these troubled times. This is much easier to use on my TV than the existing browser-based catch-up service.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It’s Friday night, the wife and eldest daughter are in the UK for a few weeks visiting family, the other daughter is stopping at the boyfriends house tonight and I am sat watching episodes of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased.

Loved the show as a kid but I can’t believe that I could not remember Annette Andre as Marty’s wife Jean.  She was an absolute stunner. 

• Like 2

A new David Attenborough series and, of course, more jaw-dropping footage.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/09/2022 at 23:53, Josef K said:

Yes nowhere near as good as his show live. 

Lee is brilliant at commentating on the direction the country is going in, and the sort of people who are taking it in that direction. But there seemed to be an element of primal scream therapy in his performance, as if he were trying to exorcise his quite legitimate feelings for Ricky Gervais, who is a recurring theme in his work, amongst other things. 

Sledge Hammer!

Oh my. Haven't watched this since it aired back in the day. Just rewatched the first episode (pilot) and it still cracks me up.

If you liked Police Squad/Naked Gun then you may very well like this as well.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

3 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Sledge Hammer!

Oh my. Haven't watched this since it aired back in the day. Just rewatched the first episode (pilot) and it still cracks me up.

If you liked Police Squad/Naked Gun then you may very well like this as well.

I have the box set of both seasons. It's a lot of fun. What channel did you see the repeat on?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

In recent months I've been trying a lot of old comedies that have just passed me by over the years.

Tonight I've decided to give Gavin and Stacey a go after putting it off for ages assuming, from what little I've seen of it on trailers that it wouldn't be my sort of thing. I've watched the first two episodes and am massively shocked to find myself enjoying it quite a lot! 

58 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

In recent months I've been trying a lot of old comedies that have just passed me by over the years.

Tonight I've decided to give Gavin and Stacey a go after putting it off for ages assuming, from what little I've seen of it on trailers that it wouldn't be my sort of thing. I've watched the first two episodes and am massively shocked to find myself enjoying it quite a lot! 

I know what you mean. I saw a few clips and found it annoying (because they usually featured Corden being the very worst laddish version of Corden), but a full episode showed there was more to it. Despite the title, it is an ensemble effort.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Crossfire on BBC now. My wife and I stayed in that very hotel in Tenerife a couple of years ago. Its part of a nature reserve with direct access through tunnels into the park. Just like Keely Hawkes' room it  overlooked the entertainment area. It  could have been the very room.

It was in the Jet2 premium collection

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

3 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Cunk On Earth is one of the funniest things I’ve seen this year.

mmmmm- I like her - BUT it's a bit like that Dennis Pennis, hilarious the 1st couple of times round but the joke soon wears thin as it's the same thing every time - seen her in a few things but only playing the same slack character 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile