The TV Thread

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Enfield's got a programme on the BBC next week, I believe. 

Hes not been funny for ages - his classic stuff was heavily based on stereotyping and observation - can you imagine him  doing "Les the bar man" now? the dementia and Alzheimer's society would be calling for everyone involved to be sacked by the BBC

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Hes not been funny for ages 

Why were you so keen for say the BBC wouldn't give him a series now then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why were you so keen for say the BBC wouldn't give him a series now then?

of course they will give him a series but he wont be allowed to be funny anymore for fear of causing offence 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

of course they will give him a series but he wont be allowed to be funny anymore for fear of causing offence 

You said they wouldn't give him a series.

Now it's, "Of course, they'll give him a series."

Keep doing you. It's a great character you've got going.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You said they wouldn't give him a series.

Now it's, "Of course, they'll give him a series."

Keep doing you. It's a great character you've got going.

I said he wouldn't be able to make the same sort of comedy he made 25 years ago - not in the mood to be drawn by you tonight but nice try 

I’ve had loads of programmes that ive marked down but not got round to watching them yet. The some shows i have marked down from the last week or so which i’ll have to watch on catch-up “Westminster Abbey Behind Closed Doors - Ch5”, “Raising The Mary Rose : The Lost Tapes - Ch4”, “In The Shadow Of Mary Seacole - ITV”. 

9 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I said he wouldn't be able to make the same sort of comedy he made 25 years ago

And that's a good thing. Things move on.

Old Man Cleese railing - on the BBC - that the BBC wouldn't commission Monty Python now.

Well, no, of course not.

In the same way that no one was making silent slapstick movies in 1969.

On 17/10/2022 at 18:03, graveyard johnny said:

are you joking? the woke brigade would be straight on that one - Enfield, Whitehouse , Walliams, Lucas and the league of,,,, team wouldnt be able to make the harmless comedy they made 20 odd years ago nowadays - not a chance 

...and Stavros makes a comeback, as expected. Now running a fancy coffee bar, because that's modern Hackney.

The imaginary "woke brigade" remains imaginary, as usual.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

that episode of friday night live was about as funny as ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well  it was dreadful - the aussie kid? why was that classed as funny?

The new German made version of All Quiet On The Western Front is on Netflix from this weekend.  Received some great reviews.

• Thanks 1

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

2 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

The new German made version of All Quiet On The Western Front is on Netflix from this weekend.  Received some great reviews.

It has a lot to live up to - previous screen adaptations have been superb.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Andor - Best Star Wars spin off by a country mile.  Scene setting, tension, story arc, etc.  

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The Love Box in Your Living Room, a history of the BBC by Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse, was excellent, clever and occasionally poignant. It will enrage only those who either feel that way as a hobby, or those who are paid to fake that emotion on a daily basis.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 28/10/2022 at 15:15, Futtocks said:

The Love Box in Your Living Room, a history of the BBC by Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse, was excellent, clever and occasionally poignant. It will enrage only those who either feel that way as a hobby, or those who are paid to fake that emotion on a daily basis.

Did not get the dingo baby in glasses at first , top stuff from Harry and Paul. There was a repeat of the Fast Show  too  on BBC4.