The TV Thread

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m working through Ancient Apocalypse on Netflix with Graham Hancock’s theory about ice age civilisation . I’m not clever enough to follow it all but at least he puts forward a cogent argument with some evidence , which my tutor told me to do  in essays at uni but I couldn’t really be bothered doing  

Point. Evidence. Explain. That is what I tell students when they're writing essays.

Make your point in layman's terms as if you are offering your point to an alien who has no knowledge of the subject at hand. 

Provide evidence that backs up your point. 

Explain in layman's terms how the evidence you've provided proves the point you are making. 

Each paragraph of your essay should encompass each of these three steps. Also, you can not refer back to the overriding subject of the essay enough. 

Just went into teacher mode there! 😂

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Point. Evidence. Explain. That is what I tell students when they're writing essays.

Evidence! LOL! That's so 1700s. Who are you, Galileo or someone like that?

29 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Make your point in layman's terms as if you are offering your point to an alien who has no knowledge of the subject at hand. 

Explain in layman's terms how the evidence you've provided proves the point you are making. 

Each paragraph of your essay should encompass each of these three steps. Also, you can not refer back to the overriding subject of the essay enough. 

Yep that’s it 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think it was the great Richard Feynman who said that if you couldn't explain something to a layman then you didn't really understand it yourself.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

No, I'm a talking goose my fellow poultry friend! 👍

I'm not trying to get all Zen or anything but, if we perceive you as a talking goose, wouldn't we be the one's hallucinating?

Speaking of, here's an old Duck Zen riddle: If a goose falls in the forest and there's no-one around to cheer, did it really happen?

Finally got round to watching the BBC miniseries, Time. 

Absolutely brilliant. One of the most gripping series I have watched in a long, long time. I could quite simply not look away.

I've always been a big Sean Bean fan and him and Stephen Graham put in truly fantastic, career defining performances. Very happy to see that it has been renewed for a second series. 

On 27/11/2022 at 09:24, ivans82 said:

Tokyo Vice has got off to a good start on BBC well worth watching .

Just finished watching the series, a belting story, plenty of action and the final episode leaves you with more questions than answers. Thankfully a second series is planned. Loved the soundtrack and the use of subtitles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Just finished watching the series, a belting story, plenty of action and the final episode leaves you with more questions than answers. Thankfully a second series is planned. Loved the soundtrack and the use of subtitles.

Great, thanks for that! I'll get watching it after SAS Rogue Heroes!

Ive watched the first two episodes of SAS Rogue Heroes. Must say it got off to a slow start and I wasn't particularly impressed or drawn in by the first episode but I decided to keep with it and was much more entertained by episode 2 and did quite like it. I am rationing myself to a couple of episodes every couple of days though so I don't binge it right through too quickly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Great, thanks for that! I'll get watching it after SAS Rogue Heroes!

Ive watched the first two episodes of SAS Rogue Heroes. Must say it got off to a slow start and I wasn't particularly impressed or drawn in by the first episode but I decided to keep with it and was much more entertained by episode 2 and did quite like it. I am rationing myself to a couple of episodes every couple of days though so I don't binge it right through too quickly. 

I’ve watched 3 episodes of Rogue Heroes, like you not overly impressed with the first one, in the third there’s plenty of action. I didn’t know beforehand that the SAS started out this way. You live and learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose said:

I’ve watched 3 episodes of Rogue Heroes, like you not overly impressed with the first one, in the third there’s plenty of action. I didn’t know beforehand that the SAS started out this way. You live and learn.

I didn't have a clue either and seen as history is my favourite subject i always like to learn something new. Main reason I decided to watch this in the first place. 

• Like 1

Anyone watch the BBC's latest attempt at 'reality' tv last night? You couldn't get a more diverse, 'inclusive' group of people. Along with the obligatory ethnic minorities there was a dwarf, a one-armed person and an OAP in amongst the majority young 'beautiful' people. David Baddiel won't be happy though - no Jews!

As is common in this sort of programme there was a simple task to perform (which the contestants made to look difficult) followed by lots of bickering. The Ascent of Man it is not!

Edited by hw88

18 hours ago, Moose said:

Really enjoying it myself but can`t believe the Paddy Mayne character could be so one dimensional , it`s starting to grate a bit now , i am sure the real Paddy Mayne wasn`t as obnoxious .

Starting from 10:10pm today, the first three episodes of 'The Singing Detective' on BBC4.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Josef K said:

I am going to watch on BBC Iplayer tomorrow “The People’s Piazza : A History Of Covent Garden”. I really enjoy watching David Olusoga when he goes back in time and it’s the same with London, especially anything from the 17th century to 1900. 

Watched it a week or two back. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The US version of Ghosts is now on the iPlayer. It jars a bit and it's not as good (so far) as the UK version but the central two 'livings' are really good and by the end of episode 3 (very short US network episodes) it's proving to be funnier than most things out there.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 01/12/2022 at 08:16, gingerjon said:

The US version of Ghosts is now on the iPlayer. It jars a bit and it's not as good (so far) as the UK version but the central two 'livings' are really good and by the end of episode 3 (very short US network episodes) it's proving to be funnier than most things out there.

My Mrs has just dropped the "I think Ghosts US is funnier" bombshell.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

6 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My Mrs has just dropped the "I think Ghosts US is funnier" bombshell.

I’m getting there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)