The TV Thread

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

Begs the question why you sit through them if you find it so tedious, most modern TVs are fitted with an 'off' setting.

There are plenty of modern day comedies that are as good as if not better than the ones you quoted. 
Off the top of my head, Ghosts (UK & US versions), The Cleaner, Motherland, Man Like Mobeen, Young Sheldon, Fleabag

I don't. Having tried them I switched to other things. Clearly you will laugh at anything. Ghosts - are you 5? Mobeen - pure drivel. Young Sheldon - one trick pony, only the bits with his brother are any good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It did seem a rather extreme response to me saying I aren't getting on with one particular sitcom. I don't like Our Flag Means Death which is evidence for all modern comedy being rubbish apparently... 

I love The Cleaner and Motherland. My favourite sitcom of all time is probably Detectorists. Other modern comedies I love include Derry Girls, The IT Crowd, Peep Show, Plebs, The Inbetweeners to name just 5 more. So that's 8 I love just off the top of my head. 

I didn’t include Derry Girls because it’s not a comedy, according to friends who served in Derry it’s a documentary 

1 hour ago, hw88 said:

I don't. Having tried them I switched to other things. Clearly you will laugh at anything. Ghosts - are you 5? Mobeen - pure drivel. Young Sheldon - one trick pony, only the bits with his brother are any good.

Lucky for you there’s so much good stuff out there, That’s TV in my region runs back to back Benny Hill and Love Thy Neighbour. You’d love it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Lucky for you there’s so much good stuff out there, That’s TV in my region runs back to back Benny Hill and Love Thy Neighbour. You’d love it.

There's also Great!TV on Freeview channel 50, which is currently showing Randall & Hopkirk (deceased), followed by The Persuaders and The Saint. 

Even my dad watches that channel and none of you professional moaners can compete with him when it comes to forming a sudden and irrational loathing for a programme or presenter. He also enjoys Pie in the Sky on Drama (channel 60).

Plus there's always at least three channels showing documentaries for the kind of person who hasn't figured out who won WW2 yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Plus there's always at least three channels showing documentaries for the kind of person who hasn't figured out who won WW2 yet.

I’m a glutton for WW2 documentaries although some are better than others . There’s some good indepth ones or on specific areas , and some average pretty generic thrown together to fill the schedule ones . Nazi Megastructures on natgeo was very good and ran a long time . World at War is still the daddy though . I mean talking to guys like Donitz , Speer , Mark Clark , Bomber Harris etc , and the weather forecaster who gave Ike the ok for DDay is really something . On a similar vein I’m currently rewatching Cold War ( last night on the Berlin airlift ) and Peoples Century  on YouTube . 

18 hours ago, hw88 said:

I did infact miss off one programme that equals Naked Attraction in its rankness - Gogglebox. People watching people watching tv! How sad, inadequate and desperate to be entertained must one be to watch that!

If we created a new series of people watching Gogglebox it would be like that film deception.

No one seems to be mentioning Happy Valley, aside from the superb scripts, and brilliant acting of Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran, as an exile I love seeing the scenes set in Calderdale etc.  Real Rugby League heartlands country.  Nostalgia isn't what it used to be 🥲 

• Like 3

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 hours ago, Shadow said:

Surprisingly no I wouldn't. There was lots of rubbish back in the day too. Love Thy Neighbour was very poor on many levels. The Benny Hill Show gets a lot of stick these days from the right-on, professionally outraged but wasn't really that bad. The women on the show say he was great to work with and not at all pervy. Also it was tremendously popular back then although I personally rarely saw it.

Classic C4 programme on last night - Know Your S***.

The C4 stable just love programmes about sex and the nether regions. Anything for ratings.

Wonder if they'll do a programme called Know Your Feet? All about the exciting world of chiropody. Everything you need to know about fungal toe infections, fallen arches, bunions and many other foot related medical ailments. Probably not as it won't have that certain titilation factor that's attached to ones private parts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m a glutton for WW2 documentaries although some are better than others . There’s some good indepth ones or on specific areas , and some average pretty generic thrown together to fill the schedule ones . Nazi Megastructures on natgeo was very good and ran a long time . World at War is still the daddy though . I mean talking to guys like Donitz , Speer , Mark Clark , Bomber Harris etc , and the weather forecaster who gave Ike the ok for DDay is really something . On a similar vein I’m currently rewatching Cold War ( last night on the Berlin airlift ) and Peoples Century  on YouTube . 

True , the commentry from Lord Larry gave it a lift , not that it needed it, If I see repeats in the shedules I make time to tune in.

2 hours ago, hw88 said:

Classic C4 programme on last night - Know Your S***.

The C4 stable just love programmes about sex and the nether regions. Anything for ratings.

Wonder if they'll do a programme called Know Your Feet? All about the exciting world of chiropody. Everything you need to know about fungal toe infections, fallen arches, bunions and many other foot related medical ailments. Probably not as it won't have that certain titilation factor that's attached to ones private parts.

I've watched some interesting documentaries about sex on C4. One highlight was 'The German Mega Brothel' which was a documentary about a huge brothel in Cologne and an in depth look into prostitution in general in Germany and how it fits into everyday life for so many people, with the oldest profession being legal there. A very interesting study of one less publicised aspect of German society. 

Richard Osman's House of Games has just claimed that the Netherlands are a test cricket nation.

I'm not a massive cricket fan but I am pretty sure that is not the case. However I was made to look like a right penis when one of the Goose household said Netherlands as an answer and I corrected them only for the programme to state I was wrong. 

I'm not losing my mind am I? The Netherlands are not a test nation are they? Or has this just completely passed me by? 

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Richard Osman's House of Games has just claimed that the Netherlands are a test cricket nation.

I'm not a massive cricket fan but I am pretty sure that is not the case. However I was made to look like a right penis when one of the Goose household said Netherlands as an answer and I corrected them only for the programme to state I was wrong. 

I'm not losing my mind am I? The Netherlands are not a test nation are they? Or has this just completely passed me by? 

Was the question just about men's Cricket? Because I think the women's team have Test status.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Was the question just about men's Cricket? Because I think the women's team have Test status.

Ah, that might be the answer! It didn't state specifically mens and/or womens cricket, it was just, "name a test cricket nation that does not have a 'W' in its name". I think you've solved it! 

Edit. According to wikipedia, the Dutch women's team have only played one full test in their history, that being in 2007 against SA but I guess that is good enough for a BBC quiz show so I'll leave it there. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

37 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ah, that might be the answer! It didn't state specifically mens and/or womens cricket, it was just, "name a test cricket nation that does not have a 'W' in its name". I think you've solved it! 

Edit. According to wikipedia, the Dutch women's team have only played one full test in their history, that being in 2007 against SA but I guess that is good enough for a BBC quiz show so I'll leave it there. 

What a strange question. Most of the test playing nations don't wave a W in their name.

58 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You should know better than to watch any TV show with the smug git in it 

Coming soon to ITV, Nolly, a 3-part biopic of Noele Gordon from Crossroads. Written by Russell T.Davies, starring Helena Bonham Carter in the title role and Mark Gatiss as Larry Grayson.

It all seems so unlikely, I've set myself a reminder to watch at least the first episode.

nollyITV3-a453de0.jpg?quality=90&webp=tr

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Early Doors is finally on iPlayer. Best sitcom of the last 20 years by a mile.

2 episodes a week, and only on iPlayer for 24 days (so episode 1 and 2 only have 16 days left).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, Derwent said:

Early Doors is finally on iPlayer. Best sitcom of the last 20 years by a mile.

Genius. 😂😂😂

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb