The TV Thread

55 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just flicking through YouTube and came across an excerpt of Freddie Starr doing his tribute to the song ‘Vincent’ in 1993.  Thank God I had my corset on or my sides would have split with laughter and ended up in next doors back yard!

Absolute genius.

Last time I saw Freddie Starr on TV, he was being investigated by some paranormal types, apparently he was possessed by a demon, it was supposed to be a serious programme but it was hilarious.

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Coming soon to ITV, Nolly, a 3-part biopic of Noele Gordon from Crossroads. Written by Russell T.Davies, starring Helena Bonham Carter in the title role and Mark Gatiss as Larry Grayson.

It all seems so unlikely, I've set myself a reminder to watch at least the first episode.

nollyITV3-a453de0.jpg?quality=90&webp=tr

Acorn Antiques revisited.

Just binge watched the fourth series of Fauda on Netflix, and like the first three, it's absolutely superb. 

It's an Israeli drama about an undercover unit operating in the Palestinian Territories. It's very realistic, perhaps unsurprisingly given that all the actors served in the IDF, and saw action.

It's fairly even-handed and certainly worth a watch.

“If you are into French films (with subtitles) “La Belle Époque” is not to be missed, but you have 1 month only to view.

An ingenious film of a disillusioned 60+ whose marriage is on the rocks, who opts to relive the week of his life when, 40 years earlier, he met his true love.  A poignant and fun story with sublime acting and direction.”

Just noticed that this excellent film has reappeared (last seen a year ago).

Unfortunately, it will cost £4.49 on Amazon Prime, £3.49 on Sky - perhaps it will drift freely to BBCIPlayer in due course!

Ep3 - The Last of Us.  A departure from the last 2 episodes but such a well crafted and fantastically acted hour of tv.  Will upset some I'm sure, but it was quite beautiful.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Watched the first two episodes of the beebs new documentary series, 'Warship', tonight which follows the HMS Queen Elizabeth on her first active operations. Very interesting series, had me really gripped. Really enjoyed it and highly recommend to anyone with the slightest interest in the military. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Watched the first two episodes of the beebs new documentary series, 'Warship', tonight which follows the HMS Queen Elizabeth on her first active operations. Very interesting series, had me really gripped. Really enjoyed it and highly recommend to anyone with the slightest interest in the military. 

How many times did it break down?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I believe that she's gonna be parked up around the corner from me soon. I plan on running that way and having a gander from the hills.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I believe that she's gonna be parked up around the corner from me soon. I plan on running that way and having a gander from the hills.

I wouldn't mind a look myself but I don't think she's coming trundling up the Humber anytime soon. Where's she gonna be beached up for you to go for a gander? 

44 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I wouldn't mind a look myself but I don't think she's coming trundling up the Humber anytime soon. Where's she gonna be beached up for you to go for a gander? 

Next to Faslane, there's an ammunition dock apparently. If i run on the hills at back of house, it can take me past there. See subs now and again, all shimmery and scary

• Thanks 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 20/01/2023 at 20:31, Derwent said:

Early Doors is finally on iPlayer. Best sitcom of the last 20 years by a mile.

Although we have seen them all dozens of times we are still watching these brilliant repeats - maybe the last of the great comedies before the woke brigade crushed TV humour and general comedy as if it was filmed these days the characters would not have been cast for the pure reason they fitted the roles 100%- they would have been cast on religion. race, sexuality and disability with half the script scrubbed out resulting in modern day comedy crop we now have to be told is funny!

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I used to watch quite a lot of yesterday channel and they were making pretty regular original history documentaries . I seem to be watching much less of it as ( just a perception ) there’s far fewer new original stuff and much more repeated stuff from elsewhere and their own shows repeated filling the schedules day after day . There’s even a night of Allo Allo …

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Although we have seen them all dozens of times we are still watching these brilliant repeats - maybe the last of the great comedies before the woke brigade crushed TV humour and general comedy as if it was filmed these days the characters would not have been cast for the pure reason they fitted the roles 100%- they would have been cast on religion. race, sexuality and disability with half the script scrubbed out resulting in modern day comedy crop we now have to be told is funny!

They should bring back Matlock.

• Confused 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/01/2023 at 23:34, Bedford Roughyed said:

Ep3 - The Last of Us.  A departure from the last 2 episodes but such a well crafted and fantastically acted hour of tv.  Will upset some I'm sure, but it was quite beautiful.  

I'm enjoying it. The conceit is a bit Garth Marenghi (what if mushrooms took over the world?) but as you say it's quite serious and well acted. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

The more I watch early doors as it becomes available on iPlayer, the more I appreciate the quality of the writing. First time I've seen it since originally aired, and back in the day I didn't watch every episode. For me, it's now up there with Father Ted (another I didn't really appreciate when first on), Phoenix Nights and blackadder as the best comedies written. 

• Like 4

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

9 hours ago, Route66 said:

Grayson Perry's Full English last night covering the north was excellent highlights the Northern soul feature and Paul Heatons miscellaneous collections of just about everything, saving crisp packets is genius

I enjoyed it. interesting thought that the country is more of a patchwork