The TV Thread

Came late to Sky's Seal Team and I am now approaching the end of S2. It's pretty good and the action scenes seem realistic... and yes, highly trained US/UK/Israeli elites can win firefights 100+ to nil. 

I'm bingeing and enjoying seeing the bad guys 'get it', but I might need to slow the pace of viewing!

• Like 1

I've also got into watching MSNBC on youtube there is nothing that attracts me to politics anywhere now, certainly not in the USA but I do love the comparison between the well researched real tv journalism across the pond compared with tame establishment one size fits all rhetoric where the audience are often asking the questions uk journalists would neither dare to, nor dream of, asking.

At the same time I saw Martin Ford on Al jazeerah and Medhi Assan  being interviewed about his new book very enlightening and both illustrate how poorly we're served in this country by the media.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 06/03/2023 at 15:11, ivans82 said:

Didn`t think Endeavour had the legs for another series , how wrong can you be , shaping up as the best yet .

On 19/03/2023 at 12:06, jacksy said:

If you're a trekkie 

Season 3 of Picard has been great so far.

Yeah both dead good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Probably not your cup of tea, it’s mainly 80s mainstream stuff

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/a-town-called-malice-sky-soundtrack/

looks like the playlist for greatest hits radio - just missing "waiting for a star to fall" - "st elmos elmos fire"  and "together in electric dreams"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

looks like the playlist for greatest hits radio - just missing "waiting for a star to fall" - "st elmos elmos fire"  and "together in electric dreams"

I'll be watching it, then.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 20/03/2023 at 20:04, Number 16 said:

Came late to Sky's Seal Team and I am now approaching the end of S2. It's pretty good and the action scenes seem realistic... and yes, highly trained US/UK/Israeli elites can win firefights 100+ to nil. 

I'm bingeing and enjoying seeing the bad guys 'get it', but I might need to slow the pace of viewing!

I really got into this when it first came out - It felt a lot more "real" then other shows/movies depicting this sort of stuff.

I also quite like the main actor, and grown to like the other main actors involved too.

Really looking forward to the next season which is on Paramount now I believe (or it changed to someone, can't recall who)

It got me interested in Fire Country (has the blonde actor in it that is new)

Edited by Click

I have to say my favourite show at the moment, which kind of feels like a guilty pleasure, but I also feel like it shouldn't ...

The Rookie - It was my mum who watched it initially and told me about it, then I got myself hooked onto it. I've always been a fan of police drama's, and I find that this show treads the line perfectly between drama/excitment/comedy. Pretty much all of the main characters feel relatable to me (for being American's in LA), and the actors do a great job.

Would recommend to anyone that hasn't given it a try yet.

Finally got round to watching The Last of Us. Really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was *quite* as amazing as some people seemed to but it was a rare created world that didn't have any obvious or glaring inconsistencies and everyone was morally questionable in their own way.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Has anyone mentioned the Naughty Tories - Geofrey Archer yet on channel 5?

I mention this not for it's political content or who it targets but for a history till now perspective.

In it, there was a line up, a queue of people pontificating, moralising and generally hindsighting a past where they knew everything that was happening, done and said and how they couldn't believe it was happening and no one was stopping it. Like bystanders at the crime scene and talking heroism the day after, they were far more fascinating than the Archer story itself and a far better explanation of how we arrived at the situation we have nowadays. The Programme was evidence that it is not just silence that's complicit in events.

Edited by Oxford

Thanks to YouTube, I have just stumbled upon a Canadian sci-fi show starring Keir Dullea from the Seventies called The Starlost. The blurb: "A group of humans must explore a vast starship in order to find the controls to save it from destruction."

So far, it is pilgrims in space, and Dullea's character has been banished for insufficient godliness. Or asking the preacher awkward questions, which is the same thing. There's a touch of Blake's Seven about the aesthetics and pacing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/03/2023 at 12:43, Oxford said:

Has anyone mentioned the Naughty Tories - Geofrey Archer yet on channel 5?

I mention this not for it's political content or who it targets but for a history till now perspective.

In it, there was a line up, a queue of people pontificating, moralising and generally hindsighting a past where they knew everything that was happening, done and said and how they couldn't believe it was happening and no one was stopping it. Like bystanders at the crime scene and talking heroism the day after, they were far more fascinating than the Archer story itself and a far better explanation of how we arrived at the situation we have nowadays. The Programme was evidence that it is not just silence that's complicit in events.

I watched it . I often think the talking heads on shows like this are sonetimes given lines to say just to tell the story . A lot of this was fluff but it reinforced what a cretin the bloke was 

Edited by DavidM

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I watched it . I often think the talking heads on shows like this are sonetimes given lines to say just to tell the story . A lot of this was fluff but it reinforced what a cretin the bloke was 

Here's Newsnight from the time of Archer's sacking, so a reaction without decades of hindsight.

Just replace "Jeffrey" with "Boris" and "Archer" with "Johnson", and the defences, excuses and weasel words are unpleasantly contemporary.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think you're understating how awful he was Dave

But that line up of people who knew it was going on, what he was up to and did nothing.

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just replace "Jeffrey" with "Boris" and "Archer" with "Johnson", and the defences, excuses and weasel words are unpleasantly contemporary.

Couldn't agree more and I also saw lots of journalists defending Bojo. Nadine was calling the enquiry a kangaroo court in a bit of the usual moral gymnastics that not only got us here but tries to keep us here.

Edited by Oxford

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Thanks to YouTube, I have just stumbled upon a Canadian sci-fi show starring Keir Dullea from the Seventies called The Starlost. The blurb: "A group of humans must explore a vast starship in order to find the controls to save it from destruction."

So far, it is pilgrims in space, and Dullea's character has been banished for insufficient godliness. Or asking the preacher awkward questions, which is the same thing. There's a touch of Blake's Seven about the aesthetics and pacing.

There seem a touch of Blake 7 about the storyline too.  They also found a ship in space and had to learn how to control it as they went along. 

edit to add and save it from destruction. 

Edited by bobbruce

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

New series of The Cleaner is just as brilliant as the first one! 😂

I totally missed hearing about a new series! Excellent!

Ralph Waldo Emerson