The TV Thread

On 16/05/2019 at 14:03, Dave T said:

Really enjoying the panel this year after 2 episodes.

Strange, I've thought this new season so far has been rubbish. That fella off the inbetweeners is even more awkward than James Acaster if that's possible to a point where it's cringey and not funny and doesn't even look like he wants to be there. That's just my thoughts anyway.

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Jon Snow’s parentage for example... wasn’t brought up at all in that final episode... strange. 

Overall, a truly great TV series. Lots of holes, misjudged pacing at times etc but boy was it good to watch and had you hooked. 

There were lots of holes there at the end, I’m not sure if we’ve left the spoiler free zone yet so won’t go in to it yet, but overall it’s been brilliant tv. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

Strange, I've thought this new season so far has been rubbish. That fella off the inbetweeners is even more awkward than James Acaster if that's possible to a point where it's cringey and not funny and doesn't even look like he wants to be there. That's just my thoughts anyway.

People's different styles, level of uncomfortable ness and stupidity is what makes the show for me.

The best thing is where the contestants take different approaches and we are seeing that this series.

I've been sticking up for this series of GoT amongst the masses of hate but that ending was just ######. Can the unsullied just infinitely respawn? Why did Jon have to go to the wall if the only people who cared were Grey Worm and he's buggered off to Naath and every other ###### in King's Landing is either burned to a crisp or glad he did it. Bran the Broken? Ha. It was just a massive rush job and pretty much put a sour note on one of the greatest programs of this generation.

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

There were lots of holes there at the end, I’m not sure if we’ve left the spoiler free zone yet so won’t go in to it yet, but overall it’s been brilliant tv. 

I wouldn’t worry about spoilers; YCK was just blown it into oblivion! ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I wouldn’t worry about spoilers; YCK was just blown it into oblivion! ?

Ok the big bits that seemed odd to me were Arya staring for 5 mins at the end of the previous episode at a white horse, at the time I wondered if this might signify her becoming lady Death or something like that, but no it had no baring on anything. Also what is the point of the nightswatch. I mean the white walkers are gone and there’s a honking big hole in the wall which can’t be fixed. There were plenty of others but those really stuck in my mind. 

36 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Ok the big bits that seemed odd to me were Arya staring for 5 mins at the end of the previous episode at a white horse, at the time I wondered if this might signify her becoming lady Death or something like that, but no it had no baring on anything. Also what is the point of the nightswatch. I mean the white walkers are gone and there’s a honking big hole in the wall which can’t be fixed. There were plenty of others but those really stuck in my mind. 

The horse thing was a perfect example of style over substance. They had a chance of a lovely shot, knowing that it would create theories, and went with it - it is almost trolling.

I think I see the nightwatch as just another community now. Their purpose may not to be to protect the border against the white walkers, but to many of these people it was their home, so I just saw it as an army base and home to many. They did also say that they needed somewhere for prisoners like Jon to be banished to. I didn't have a problem with that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YCKonstantine said:

I've been sticking up for this series of GoT amongst the masses of hate but that ending was just ######. Can the unsullied just infinitely respawn? Why did Jon have to go to the wall if the only people who cared were Grey Worm and he's buggered off to Naath and every other ###### in King's Landing is either burned to a crisp or glad he did it. Bran the Broken? Ha. It was just a massive rush job and pretty much put a sour note on one of the greatest programs of this generation.

As we saw in the 'democracy' scene, not everybody was happy that Jon had murdered Dani. Justice had to be seen to be done - he had just murdered the Queen. 

I agree with the point about it being a rush job - had these things developed properly over 5 or so episodes taking it to a 10 parter, they could have done it justice and it would have felt more natural. At times GoT has been excruciatingly slow, so to finish the story off so quickly was a really bizarre choice.

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

As we saw in the 'democracy' scene, not everybody was happy that Jon had murdered Dani. Justice had to be seen to be done - he had just murdered the Queen. 

I agree with the point about it being a rush job - had these things developed properly over 5 or so episodes taking it to a 10 parter, they could have done it justice and it would have felt more natural. At times GoT has been excruciatingly slow, so to finish the story off so quickly was a really bizarre choice.

The pacing again felt off for me.  Slow, slow, oh she really is bad, slow, she's dead, 2 weeks later, Brans king, everyones happy.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

19 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The pacing again felt off for me.  Slow, slow, oh she really is bad, slow, she's dead, 2 weeks later, Brans king, everyones happy.  

Like the episode before. Mass genocide... slow artsy shot of a white horse ... mass genocide ... miraculously swept pathways through the genocide  

Almost like the producers watched Schindler’s List and materially failed in understanding how to drag in viewers with emotive small scale content in a mass scale scene. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

When the Iron Throne was melted I thought that Westeros would break up and the seven kingdoms would each have their own ruler, not that so the one person who wouldn't need to sit on a throne would become king. It was obvious that at the end it was going to be someone who never had any designs on being the Monarch and after Jons conversation with Tormund before he left for Kings Landing it was clear that he would end up living beyond the Wall.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

When the Iron Throne was melted I thought that Westeros would break up and the seven kingdoms would each have their own ruler, not that so the one person who wouldn't need to sit on a throne would become king. It was obvious that at the end it was going to be someone who never had any designs on being the Monarch and after Jons conversation with Tormund before he left for Kings Landing it was clear that he would end up living beyond the Wall.

Does Google have a GOT - English translation? ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If I ever had any thoughts about watching GOT that's just got rid of them ?

Sounds like a convoluted plot from children's TV Knightmare

(I'm only joking, each to there own)

• Like 1

Just watched the first three episodes of Chernobyl on Now TV.   Absolutely superb.

I’m sure there has been artistic license applied for dramatic effect, but even so, what a story.

• Like 2

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

On 26/05/2019 at 23:53, Steve May said:

Just watched the first three episodes of Chernobyl on Now TV.   Absolutely superb.

I’m sure there has been artistic license applied for dramatic effect, but even so, what a story.

There is an accompanying podcast which explains the artistic changes, and there are probably less than you might think!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

There is an accompanying podcast which explains the artistic changes, and there are probably less than you might think!

I didn’t know there was a podcast. I’ll look it up.  Thanks  

Last night the 90 seconds on the roof scene was excruciatingly tense.

I remember reading once that young Soviet Army conscripts were given a choice between a few minutes working at the reactor site  or a tour in Afghanistan.  

• Like 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Ambulance can be a bloody hard watch.  

• Thanks 1