The TV Thread

4 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Not an easy watch at times, but very good. Some of the scenarios played out that would have been considered unbelievable fantasy just a few years ago are now quite plausible. Unfortunately.

Much of it was filmed very close to where I live (for example the beach scene and the camp in the final episode).

This speech from Ann Reid's character was one of the very best bits of Years and Years; very poignant and very relevant to today. From 1m 47s:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On 20/06/2019 at 19:43, Oxford said:

Something reminded me of this

Capture.PNG.51d4276b176e2d348ccd0726d3a1f465.PNG

Fun fact: I, Claudius inspired the first series of The Sopranos 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That show's name brings back great memories! Has it aged well?

And what is the name of the Channel?

True Ents, sky ch 179. They also showed the last ever MASH episode, and a multi-cast gathering, that was 20 years later, emotional.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

True Ents, sky ch 179. They also showed the last ever MASH episode, and a multi-cast gathering, that was 20 years later, emotional.

Ah, my dad watches that channel quite a bit, especially M*A*S*H..

It is also on Freeview, thankfully (Channel 61).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Plane Spotting Live coming soon on BBC4.  Now thats a tv show!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Two Items from yesterday, I couldn't get on line to report them.

on the BBC Breakfast News Sports report, they announced that the Sri Lanka v South Africa game had been stopped due to a swarm of bees crossing the ground, then the smarmy sports reporter "Joked" that the next wicket taken was L. "Bee" W., as I was on Ceefax checking the result myself I noticed that there was no wicket taken LBW in the entire match. Typical BBC sports BullS41t then, as usual. He also declared that Lewis Hamilton was fastest in 2nd practise on Friday, he wasn't he was 4th fastest (This is Practise, not qualifying).

I was watching an old Time Team programme, and I noticed that one of the archaeologists was wearing a ST. Helens RLFC sweatshirt. 

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures for this weekend's MLB games on BT Sports, with everything else that is on. Also, I know it came down to money, but surely we could've got a terrestrial channel interested, by showing on BT Sports I hope the MLB realise it was on a minor  ppv channel

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures for this weekend's MLB games on BT Sports, with everything else that is on. Also, I know it came down to money, but surely we could've got a terrestrial channel interested, by showing on BT Sports I hope the MLB realise it was on a minor  ppv channel

I watched it on the BBC iPlayer. 

I'm also watching today's game on the BBC iPlayer 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

They sold the ground out at some astronomical prices. Plus a sizeable number from both Boston and New York came over and had a weekend in London.

The game were laughably bad pitching wise but that just seems to have been a bizarre occurrence rather than anything wrong with the set-up.

I didn't go but I think on the terms that MLB and London will have wanted it's been a success.

One the calls from the BT commentary ("absolute box office" after a home run) has gone semi viral as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 27/06/2019 at 14:37, Bleep1673 said:

Cannot watch MASH with the laughter track.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

On 30/06/2019 at 10:49, Bleep1673 said:

I was watching an old Time Team programme, and I noticed that one of the archaeologists was wearing a ST. Helens RLFC sweatshirt. 

How long did he last?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've seen a few episodes but never really got it.... Remember reruns being on when I was a kid on Sunday nights so I associate it with the work next morning blues

I'm fond enough of M*A*S*H to watch the occasional episode despite the laugh track.

I also love the movie, which is very different (much closer to the original book), and has only one actor (Gary Burghoff) in common with the TV show.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've seen a few episodes but never really got it.... Remember reruns being on when I was a kid on Sunday nights so I associate it with the work next morning blues

It was on BBC2 late 80's no laughter track and was better for it.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

7 hours ago, jacksy said:

It was on BBC2 late 80's no laughter track and was better for it.

I've got the box set and the laughter track disappears about half way through. I read once that it was because people in uk complained about having it on there when the show was dealing with such serious issues. Quite right as well, not really appropriate to laugh at such things. As you say, much better without it. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 10:49, Bleep1673 said:

Paul Blinkhorn. He is a middle ages pottery expert and keen motor cyclist.

He is a St Helens fan and always seems to wear some Saints stash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

51 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Paul Blinkhorn. He is a middle ages pottery expert and keen motor cyclist.

He is a St Helens fan and always seems to wear some Saints stash.

Yep pretty much every episode he was in 

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've got the box set and the laughter track disappears about half way through. I read once that it was because people in uk complained about having it on there when the show was dealing with such serious issues. Quite right as well, not really appropriate to laugh at such things. As you say, much better without it. 

I consider Partridge the pinnacle of comedy ( and up there with the peak of human endeavour generally)....workshop the laugh track didn't get to me in the shows 

Last night, we started on What we do in the shadows.

It was okay, but I saw the film a few weeks ago and that was much better.   I’m still chuckling at Rhys Darby saying “Werewolves, not swearwolves” 

With the exception of The IT Crowd, Matt Berry never quite seems to be as good as he should be.  

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.