Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 05/02/2020 at 17:41, BryanC said:

I have the builders in at the moment and have had to take my TV out of use.

Not missing it one bit, but am reading some very good books.

such as the tv times for instance

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic Inside No.9 tonight.  Hard to say anything without spoilers but I was hooked and it just ripped along.  


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Classic Inside No.9 tonight.  Hard to say anything without spoilers but I was hooked and it just ripped along.  

Agreed.

One of the few shows I still try to watch live on first broadcast to avoid spoilers.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Coronation Street, I signed up to the 30 day free trial of Britbox last night as they've stuck some classic episodes on there which I thought would be fun to watch. There's only about a dozen on there right now, including the first one which I've seen a few times before, but a couple of the other black and white episodes really show Corrie at its best. So many memorable characters, doing relatively ordinary things, but effortlessly drawing you into the drama... and the natural comedy of some of the situations.

Having trawled through what's available on Britbox, and made a list of the stuff I'd like to watch on there, it is highly likely I'll be forking out the £5.99 per month subs fee after the free trial ends, if only to keep access to the entire back catalogue of classic Doctor Who on demand. It's so much easier to stream than faff around changing DVDs that I might just get around to watching them all in order from the start, which I've often thought of doing but never got round to.

Also, to see what else pops up on there in future, given the vast archive of material that must be available in the vaults of the BBC & ITV.

  • Like 1

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Speaking of Coronation Street, I signed up to the 30 day free trial of Britbox last night as they've stuck some classic episodes on there which I thought would be fun to watch. There's only about a dozen on there right now, including the first one which I've seen a few times before, but a couple of the other black and white episodes really show Corrie at its best. So many memorable characters, doing relatively ordinary things, but effortlessly drawing you into the drama... and the natural comedy of some of the situations.

Having trawled through what's available on Britbox, and made a list of the stuff I'd like to watch on there, it is highly likely I'll be forking out the £5.99 per month subs fee after the free trial ends, if only to keep access to the entire back catalogue of classic Doctor Who on demand. It's so much easier to stream than faff around changing DVDs that I might just get around to watching them all in order from the start, which I've often thought of doing but never got round to.

Also, to see what else pops up on there in future, given the vast archive of material that must be available in the vaults of the BBC & ITV.

Dr Who you say 💰 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do know, don't you, that Corrie is a serial documentary? 😀😀

Met the guy who played Albert Tatlock checked into the Strand Palace Hotel at the same time as me back in the late 1960s and was indistinguishable from the character he played. 

Audrey Roberts is Sue Nicholls-Eden. Her father was Sir Harmar Nicholls, later Lord Harmar-Nicholls, the former Conservative MP for Peterborough (1950–1974) and MEP for Greater Manchester South (1979–1984), and subsequently a life peer; she is thus entitled to be addressed as "The Honourable Susan Nicholls". 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You do know, don't you, that Corrie is a serial documentary? 😀😀

Met the guy who played Albert Tatlock checked into the Strand Palace Hotel at the same time as me back in the late 1960s and was indistinguishable from the character he played. 

Audrey Roberts is Sue Nicholls-Eden. Her father was Sir Harmar Nicholls, later Lord Harmar-Nicholls, the former Conservative MP for Peterborough (1950–1974) and MEP for Greater Manchester South (1979–1984), and subsequently a life peer; she is thus entitled to be addressed as "The Honourable Susan Nicholls". 

Of course she has political connections, Alf Roberts used to be the mayor!

But her best role was Mrs Popoff in Rentaghost. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2020 at 22:43, Bedford Roughyed said:

Classic Inside No.9 tonight.  Hard to say anything without spoilers but I was hooked and it just ripped along.  

Even by their standards, it was pretty twisted. 😬😬😬
 

I’m not sure whether the minds that thought of the closing scene is genius or needs help. 😂😂

 

Edited by Johnoco
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’m not sure whether the minds that thought of the closing scene is genius or needs help. 😂😂

I think you could say that about pretty much everything they do!


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think you could say that about pretty much everything they do!

True 🤣🤣

Not sure why I’m even vaguely surprised. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just enjoyed Sense8  thanks to whoever pointed it out and I'm onto Frequency now Sci-fi junky tendencies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

 

But her best role was Mrs Popoff in Rentaghost. 

My son asked me about the type of programmes I watched when I was a kid and I mentioned Rentaghost. We watched an episode. Let's say it didn't live up to my childhood memories. 😔


2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My son asked me about the type of programmes I watched when I was a kid and I mentioned Rentaghost. We watched an episode. Let's say it didn't live up to my childhood memories. 😔

Interesting how different the initial series were (which I don't think I've ever seen) when compared to the later ones.

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/01/05/rentaghost/

  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My son asked me about the type of programmes I watched when I was a kid and I mentioned Rentaghost. We watched an episode. Let's say it didn't live up to my childhood memories. 😔

 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting how different the initial series were (which I don't think I've ever seen) when compared to the later ones.

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/01/05/rentaghost/

Stop it! That horse was dead convincing and the storylines were highly believable.

Many years back at a place I ‘worked’, we had this manager type person who was the spitting image of Mr Claypole. He’d swagger around thinking he was in Miami Vice or something, only for people to shout ‘Oi Claypole’ - he pretended not to be annoyed which made it even funnier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could not stand Rentaghost as a child.

However, i do like the new comedy show by the BBC called Ghosts.


Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jacksy said:

Could not stand Rentaghost as a child.

However, i do like the new comedy show by the BBC called Ghosts.

I've heard a lot of good things about 'Ghosts', but haven't got round to seeing even a minute of it yet. So many shows, so little time.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very different Inside No.9 this week, but I thought it was fantastic acting all round.  Great hints of Ken Loach or Shane Meadows.  

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A very different Inside No.9 this week, but I thought it was fantastic acting all round.  Great hints of Ken Loach or Shane Meadows.  

Yep I was expecting something like that Ken Loach film Raining Stones and it wasn’t too far away. Steve Pemberton really is an excellent actor and is convincing in everything he does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite willing to admit it’s me at fault and old but The Brits? Absolutely no idea who these people are. Modern popular music is utter crud. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Quite willing to admit it’s me at fault and old but The Brits? Absolutely no idea who these people are. Modern popular music is utter crud. 

"Who's that? What's that?"

"It it a boy or a girl?"

"You can't make out the words!"

"Where are the Mike Sammes Singers? Or Lonnie Donegan?"

"It's all noise!"

"Fancy a Werthers original?"


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

"Who's that? What's that?"

"It it a boy or a girl?"

"You can't make out the words!"

"Where are the Mike Sammes Singers? Or Lonnie Donegan?"

"It's all noise!"

"Fancy a Werthers original?"

Mostly right but not the noise bit. 😎

Was some lass called Mabel singing and I said ‘she looks like Neneh Cherry a bit’ ... then discovered she is her daughter. Say what you like about the pop industry but not nepotism rules ok. 
 

Anyway, dreadful stuff. Hope I die before I get old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Was some lass called Mabel singing and I said ‘she looks like Neneh Cherry a bit’ ... then discovered she is her daughter.

This is where the Brit Awards need Ray French; "That was young, errr, Mabel, I remember her mam playin' for Rip, Rig & Panic".

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2020 at 18:32, Futtocks said:

I've heard a lot of good things about 'Ghosts', but haven't got round to seeing even a minute of it yet. So many shows, so little time.

Give it a go. I loved it.


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A very different Inside No.9 this week, but I thought it was fantastic acting all round.  Great hints of Ken Loach or Shane Meadows.  

Not seen this week's yet but I've been very impressed so far. They just seem to get better.


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...