The TV Thread

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I never thought about that 😭

not to mention they keep philip schofield off tv even if its only for a matter of hours- without them he would have total domination 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 12/09/2021 at 00:20, Futtocks said:

Just started watching The Cleaner (BBC iPlayer). Greg Davies plays a crime scene cleaner and Helena Bonham Carter plays a whimsical, bonkers murderer. I'm quite enjoying it.

Quite apart from anything else, the height difference is amusing.

Just watched the first two episodes of this. Didn't really know what to expect but must say I've enjoyed it so far, a couple of quite funny bits on top of quite a few chuckles. I'll definitely watch the rest of the series. 

27 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just watched the first two episodes of this. Didn't really know what to expect but must say I've enjoyed it so far, a couple of quite funny bits on top of quite a few chuckles. I'll definitely watch the rest of the series. 

Someone on another forum said it was like a straight sitcom that had a hint of Inside No.9 about it. I sort of get what he meant. HBC was delightfully bonkers as usual, while David Mitchell in episode 2 was good too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I started rewatching the 6 series of Justified (available on Amazon and All4). This will be the 3rd time I've watch it. It's also a series that ends well. 

I've got the boxset of it on blu-ray. Justified is brilliant, one of my all time favourite series. The performances are brilliant, especially those of Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins but I think what truly makes the series is the setting, the stories being so immersed in Kentucky, going so in depth into its culture and the everyday lives of normal, working people, so rich in seemingly every little detail of society. I don't think I've ever watched a series where the location is so important or where after watching it you almost feel like you have to drag yourself back into the real world because you are drawn into that place so much. I'll shut up, I could go on about my love of the series forever..! 😁

• Like 1

Did anyone watch The Holden girls on E4?

I thought it was real and the grandmother appalling. However I didn't realise it was a mockumentary and that the grandmother was Leigh Frances (Aka Keith Lemon).

Now I know this, in retrospect I think it was quite funny, and made sense. I will watch the episodes again.

Watched episode one of The North Water last night and was hooked from the off. The only other TV drama I could say that about for a long time was The Terror. 

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Someone on another forum said it was like a straight sitcom that had a hint of Inside No.9 about it. I sort of get what he meant. HBC was delightfully bonkers as usual, while David Mitchell in episode 2 was good too.

the 1st one was watchable with hbc - the 2nd one not as watchable - series link deleted

3 hours ago, Ullman said:

Watched episode one of The North Water last night and was hooked from the off. The only other TV drama I could say that about for a long time was The Terror. 

I completely agree, I loved it, the mood, tone and general atmosphere of it was so gripping and I thought the end when they killed 100 seals and skinned them and there were them wide shots across the ice of all the bodies, I thought that was actually quite disturbing. It really gripped me emotionally. Bring on episode two! Also Hull hasnt changed much since then has it? 😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Scrolling through the Talking Pictures schedule today I noticed they`re beginning yet another UFO re-run, preceded by (Gulp) Blake`s 7. Do sci-fi nerds never get fed up with these things?

Ayshea is the only good reason for watching UFO, and she`s only on screen for a few seconds, if you`re lucky.

No, we fans never tire of Blake's 7, UFO etc. I go through my DVDs maybe once every three years for both shows. There's even a B7 fan forum.

http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/index.php

Youtuber Wingy Media from RL heartlands discusses why Blake's 7 is worth watching. 

Edited by HawkMan

12 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

No, we fans never tire of Blake's 7, UFO etc. I go through my DVDs maybe once every three years for both shows. There's even a B7 fan forum.

http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/index.php

Youtuber Wingy Media from RL heartlands discusses why Blake's 7 is worth watching. 

I`ve got DVDs of Timeslip and the Tomorrow People. For me, it`s pure childhood nostalgia.

Blake`s 7 was later and never got my full attention, so it doesn`t resonate the same.

I`m not a fan generally, but I can recognize something of the Film Noir philosophy about all those 60s/70s sci-fi series. i.e. their low budgets forced them to concentrate on ideas and stories over action and special effects.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ve got DVDs of Timeslip and the Tomorrow People. For me, it`s pure childhood nostalgia.

Blake`s 7 was later and never got my full attention, so it doesn`t resonate the same.

I`m not a fan generally, but I can recognize something of the Film Noir philosophy about all those 60s/70s sci-fi series. i.e. their low budgets forced them to concentrate on ideas and stories over action and special effects.

Well it's not too late to get into Blake's 7, definitely enjoyable. 

Here is a 2 minute trailer to series 1 that some fan recently did, all modern style encapsulating a 70's classic. You may be intrigued....or perhaps not.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

we did a lot of "jaunting" round the playground at play time with our "jaunting belts" and then "jaunting watches" the least popular kid in the group always had to be Elizabeth 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

we did a lot of "jaunting" round the playground at play time with our "jaunting belts" and then "jaunting watches" the least popular kid in the group always had to be Elizabeth 

Most unfair. Elizabeth was lovely. 

I was reading all the Famous Five books at the same time. Julian was a similar character to John in TP. And Ann was a counterpart of Elizabeth - very prim and proper.

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

On to another show, just found this vid on YouTube,  makes me want to get my New Avengers dvds out.

The New Avengers is not as well-regarded as the 60s Avengers, not least by Patrick Macnee apparently.

However, I remember it being immensely popular. It must have struck some sort of chord.

All the girls in the mid-70s either wanted a Purdey cut, or the Farrah Fawcett.

Great theme tune, which always helps a show connect.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

All Creatures Great And Small is back and it’s still excellent

Is this another series of the C5 remake? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson