51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Indeed, I thought it was a bit disappointing, too. All too neat and tidy... But I bet it is not really the last we've heard from AC12. 

Now you’re suckin diesel, fella

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Straight outta compote 

Watched the final episode of Years and Years tonight. Then straight away watched the news. I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't the same programme. 

Edited for accuracy 

Posted Images

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I thought the whole series of line of duty was underwhelming . It seemed to be the thing to say how wonderful it was , but i found it disappointing and even more far fetched than before . The early seasons were great but it got a bit sillier as it went on . Then at the end I’m thinking ‘ is that it ?  ... all that build up and they get a bloke because he can’t spell ‘ . Game of Thrones ending was bad but that wasn’t far off . Ted is still great though , the undoubted star of the whole thing 

Edited by DavidM
9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I thought the whole series of line of duty was underwhelming . It seemed to be the thing to say how wonderful it was , but i found it disappointing and even more far fetched than before . The early seasons were great but it got a bit sillier as it went on . Then at the end I’m thinking ‘ is that it ?  ... all that build up and they get a bloke because he can’t spell ‘ . Game of Thrones ending was bad but that wasn’t far off . Ted is still great though , the undoubted star of the whole thing 

Firstly, the finale was bobbins.

Secondly, I think the issue with the final series is that it's actually pretty boring to follow a bunch of people who have no real control over what they are doing. In previous series, the person/situation being investigated was corrupt, dodgy (etc) and it was all about how they would crumble and what damage that would cause. This time around everything was out of the hands of both the investigators and those being investigated.

To use an old RL analogy: it lacked jeopardy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And what was this all powerful OCG ? Who was in charge of that and giving all these directives ? And it was so pervasive it had people literally everywhere , I mean really . And how often can you do the hijacked convoy routine ... and where are these totally empty streets with not a soul around where you can have a good old gun battle . The Bodyguard used that one as well . And why was James Nesbitt in it ... not to be in it ?  

• Like 1

Forget about Line of Duty, a real crime drama starts on Channel 4, Sunday 9th May 9:00pm.

Season 4 of Fargo is here and doesn’t disappoint, set in 1950’s Chicago the first episode sets the scene, showing the transfer of power on ethnicity lines  prior and up to 1950.

That’s all I’m saying, although I’ve been lucky enough to see the full series, no more spoilers😀

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, DavidM said:

And what was this all powerful OCG ? Who was in charge of that and giving all these directives ? And it was so pervasive it had people literally everywhere , I mean really . And how often can you do the hijacked convoy routine ... and where are these totally empty streets with not a soul around where you can have a good old gun battle . The Bodyguard used that one as well . And why was James Nesbitt in it ... not to be in it ?  

Yes - how does an OCG that has dissolved (apparently) but gone into disparate elements (unspecified) coordinate itself enough to consistently have dozens of black range rovers, prison officers and snipers on speed dial?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

But, thankfully, out of darkness comes light ...

LoD is fiction.  so, its a bit far -fetched in places, but then so is Macbeth, the Bible, Star Wars and Inside No. 9 . The Craig Parkinson "Obsessed " podcasts have been great entertainment in my opinion. 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

LoD is fiction.  so, its a bit far -fetched in places, but then so is Macbeth, the Bible, Star Wars and Inside No. 9 . The Craig Parkinson "Obsessed " podcasts have been great entertainment in my opinion. 

All of those, except the Bible, have their own internal logic that means they stand up to scrutiny (talking about only the original Star Wars trilogy here). So did (most) of what happened in previous LoD series. The only thing that, in the end, rang true in this series of LoD was the message that in this country we have corrupt incompetents in high office. But that wasn't expressed through drama but rather messages on screen and the characters just saying it out loud.

I have a brother-in- law, recently retired Met Chief Superintendent. He tells me it’s about as far from being true to life as it’s possible to be.

There again he could be lying and be part of the conspiracy 😲

• Haha 2
On 05/05/2021 at 16:25, Stirlin said:

If the previous season's  are anything to go by Moose we are in for a treat.

watched this series ages ago and it is brilliant though a little strange, i will be watching again.

• Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

3 hours ago, Moose said:

I have a brother-in- law, recently retired Met Chief Superintendent. He tells me it’s about as far from being true to life as it’s possible to be.

There again he could be lying and be part of the conspiracy 😲

i prefer my crime drama as it should be- swigging scotch - smokin fags - shag in birds and punching villans while screeching round the streets in an unmarked cortina 

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i prefer my crime drama as it should be- swigging scotch - smokin fags - shag in birds and punching villans while screeching round the streets in an unmarked cortina 

Face it Johnny - Juliet Bravo will never get another series.

• Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Face it Johnny - Juliet Bravo will never get another series.

My dad met Juliet Bravo ( the actress ) on a train and talked to her ... not that he mentioned it very often .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This Coronation Street storyline about goth girl and her fella getting beat up seems to be based on the Sophie Lancaster case where a bunch of scumbags killed a goth lass a few years ago. 

how has james nesbitt managed to get away with 20 odd years on tv playing the same person? similar to william roache playing ken barlow but just james nesbitt playing himself as well? the same character?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This Coronation Street storyline about goth girl and her fella getting beat up seems to be based on the Sophie Lancaster case where a bunch of scumbags killed a goth lass a few years ago. 

they are all running out of ideas- dev will be getting running over by a tram in blackpool next

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:they are all running out of ideas- dev will be getting running over by a tram in blackpool next

To be fair, it’s a good way of raising awareness about stuff like that. I’m sure you can relate, like me and all my mates at the time getting attacked for being punks or alternative. Luckily we mostly gave as good as we got....usually lol

On 06/05/2021 at 19:32, DavidM said:

My dad met Juliet Bravo ( the actress ) on a train and talked to her ... not that he mentioned it very often .

My dad was, in the late 1960s, once in the same pub as Angela Douglas.

Sometimes whole days can pass without him mentioning it.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

To be fair, it’s a good way of raising awareness about stuff like that. I’m sure you can relate, like me and all my mates at the time getting attacked for being punks or alternative. Luckily we mostly gave as good as we got....usually lol

it still happens now- some local dic ck eds who know nothing about our scene will have had a few drinks and start on us psychobillys- last time they did it they were unaware "TINY" was at the loo and when he came back he cleaned his hands on their heads - we left and went back to the venue and watched some good bands

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My dad was, in the late 1960s, once in the same pub as Angela Douglas.

Sometimes whole days can pass without him mentioning it.

in the same pub at the same time? or just in the same pub?

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

in the same pub at the same time? or just in the same pub?

Depending on how he decides to play the story - and do bear in mind this man became an Archdeacon - there's a whole raft of alternatives.

But the truth of the matter is that he was in London for some reason and went to a pub in the West End which, for an hour or so, was also frequented by Angela Douglas and a female friend who was not Angela Douglas and so does not feature much in the story.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it still happens now- some local dic ck eds who know nothing about our scene will have had a few drinks and start on us psychobillys- last time they did it they were unaware "TINY" was at the loo and when he came back he cleaned his hands on their heads - we left and went back to the venue and watched some good bands

Oh yeah, there were some proper hard cases in the Bradford punk scene who made many a loudmouth regret starting on them.