The TV Thread

10 hours ago, Ullman said:

My grandad was lost in the Barents Sea on Arctic convoy PQ-13.

First time I saw Das Boot was in the cinema with my mam. The scene where they attack the British convoy was poignant to say the least, especially when they have no option but to leave for dead the British sailors in the water. I wondered how she'd react but she thought it was a superb film. It's one of my favourites to this day.

That kind of thing happened countless times. Awful.

I've just read a book about the battle of the Atlantic as seen from the point of view of the merchant navy called ' The Real Cruel Sea'. Merchant seamen were treated like dirt by their employers with one or two exceptions. 

I watched three episodes of Marvel’s The Punisher last night on Netflix. Good so far, on the darker side of Marvel stuff. 

• Like 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

47 minutes ago, John Drake said:

54 years ago today, 23rd Nov 1963, the BBC broadcast this for the first time, and a TV legend was born.

Doctor Who - An Unearthly Child

The lady who composed the music recently died. I'm not sure whether it's on the obituary thread.

9 hours ago, ckn said:

The Telegraph have over-egged the pudding a bit with that story. It's not exactly a new feature film, it's a restored/completed DVD release of a story that was halfway through recording in 1978/79 but was abandoned due to industrial action at the BBC.

It's been released several time already in various forms, but this is the first time they've animated all the missing bits and incorporated them with the original filming, using the original cast to record linking material.

Tom Baker's in it though, so it's definitely on my Xmas list!! :)

16 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The lady who composed the music recently died. I'm not sure whether it's on the obituary thread.

Ron Grainer composed the theme tune, but the most famous arrangement of it was by Delia Derbyshire.

They both passed away quite some time ago, but Derbyshire was very recently in the news again after being awarded a posthumous PhD for her contribution to the world of electronic music.

Just had a read of her Wikipedia page, seems like she had quite a tragic life, and died when she was only 64.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Derbyshire

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Ron Grainer composed the theme tune, but the most famous arrangement of it was by Delia Derbyshire.

They both passed away quite some time ago, but Derbyshire was very recently in the news again after being awarded a posthumous PhD for her contribution to the world of electronic music.

Just had a read of her Wikipedia page, seems like she had quite a tragic life, and died when she was only 64.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Derbyshire

Thanks for the clarification John. The last interview with her was played on the radio the other day. It was really interesting. 

On 11/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, ckn said:

I watched three episodes of Marvel’s The Punisher last night on Netflix. Good so far, on the darker side of Marvel stuff. 

Binge watched 7 episodes today.  Excellent series, excellent writing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

One for the iPlayer, because it has just finished - Naples '44 on BBC4 is excerpts from the book by Norman Lewis, read by Benedict Cumberbatch. A very fine piece of work all round.

Lewis is one of the great travel writers of the 20th century, whose travelling life started in the Fifties. As a younger man, however, he worked in Military Intelligence during WWII, but nothing really prepared him for post-occupation Naples and the resourceful inhabitants of that notorious city.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

One for the iPlayer, because it has just finished - Naples '44 on BBC4 is excerpts from the book by Norman Lewis, read by Benedict Cumberbatch. A very fine piece of work all round.

Lewis is one of the great travel writers of the 20th century, whose travelling life started in the Fifties. As a younger man, however, he worked in Military Intelligence during WWII, but nothing really prepared him for post-occupation Naples and the resourceful inhabitants of that notorious city.

Sounds I goer.

Definitely one to download.

On 16/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, Ullman said:

10-11pm on Wednesday has become my favourite TV hour of the week. 

Bit of a niche interest I'd say but I'm looking forward to Handmade in Hull on BBC4 later.

Only got round to watching 'Handmade in Hull' last night. What an outstanding piece of TV it turned out to be. Beautifully filmed and with the added bonus of a completely gratuitous (very) brief cameo appearance by Johnny Whiteley, eating fish and chips on Corporation Pier. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Watching a programme about Morecambe and Wise now. Absolutely brilliant! I remember some one on here saying what a load of rubbish. I must disagree.

The judges on Strictly Come Dancing certainly have their favourites. Alexandra and Debbie make obvious mistakes and get gushing praise while the other contestants are judged more harshly than a dusky skinned family at a BNP rally.

12 hours ago, ckn said:

The judges on Strictly Come Dancing certainly have their favourites. Alexandra and Debbie make obvious mistakes and get gushing praise while the other contestants are judged more harshly than a dusky skinned family at a BNP rally.

I thought that Scots lad and her from embeddable got a rough deal.

I think the judges have got Debbie lined up to win it. I watch it at my mother's, watch with mother eh, so strictly has at least a captive audience of one.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Just seen the trailer for the new League Of Gentlemen episodes on YouTube. It better not disappoint after waiting for so long.

Don't you guys have Netflix over there?

On 11/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, ckn said:

Finally finished it.  Probably the best writing for a series like this that I've seen in years.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The A word has been superb.

Agreed. Both the soundtrack and the Lake District environment are a super backdrop to this compelling series. I particularly like Christopher Ecclestone's portrayal of the dour, but at heart big soft northerner. 

Needless to say the star of the programme is the actor who plays Joe, an outstanding performance from someone so young.

• Like 2

Unless MacKenzie Crook changes his mind, next week will see the last ever episode of 'Detectorists'. :( 

• Sad 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson