The TV Thread

43 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Motherland has been hilarious, it's just like being at my daughters school.

I watched the lot, including the pilot, in two sittings. I don't have kids, but still got the sense of desperation and the humour. Very good cast.

• Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Detectorists and Star Wars both done today.  Managed to stay spoiler free for both!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 12/14/2017 at 1:50 AM, Kayakman said:

And where is the best running water for kayaking...bet over  there you need a permit or something to go through the inland water ways in the Dales?...is their regulations, what is the best summer trip,...important stuff like that! (p.s. Is there camping available?)

http://access.canoedaysout.com/map

As you can see, most rivers are 'owned' in England and there is no right of access.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

http://access.canoedaysout.com/map

As you can see, most rivers are 'owned' in England and there is no right of access.  

I know the monastaries owned certain 'rights' to them before the Reformation but who owns them now?...in Canada they are the property of the Crown (and lakes also), therefore any citizen of the Crown is allowed to use them due to common law (same with all Crown lands which is most of Canada)...I always make a point of camping on Crown land since its free...is it not the same over there?

When you say right of access do you mean putting in your boat?

Oh My God!...the map you shows looks awful, like a nightmare to dedicated paddler!  "The right to paddle", now thats a laugh, now thats a good one...I've never tolerated such nonsense unless there is a very specific reason (e.g dangerous water, habitat protection, etc (must be reasonable) you people are way to complacent over there....FREEDOM!

FREEDOM FOR ALL PADDLERS...DOWN WITH THE TYRANNY!

Live free and prosper...live free and paddle.

Edited by Kayakman

On 14 December 2017 at 11:14 AM, Tongs ya bas said:

Bancroft is hopeless. Almost a parody of the genre.

It has every police procedural cliche that has ever existed. The ' by the book' senior officer, the driven female detective , the female murder victim blah de blah.

The characters are ill thought out. For instance a character has made it to detective sergeant without seeing a dead body. She would have had to pass through the ranks of police constable, detective constable, through to sergeant and be a highlight experienced officer and seen dead bodies in all sorts of states.

There is some good acting talent involved, but the writing is lazy. 

Yeah, it's hopeless but my wife likes it. Bits of it were filmed just down the road from me in Rochdale.

On 13/12/2017 at 5:13 PM, graveyard johnny said:

cant wait, looks just as good as ever - hope herr flick does dig up Justin after all this time, poor lad

Same here, not looked forward to a TV programme so much in a long time. Looks as brilliantly grotesque as ever if the trailers are anything to go by.

• Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Started watching 'The Good Place' on netflix.  Enjoying it so far.  

Only three episodes of 'The League of Gentlemen' in this new series?

Not enough!

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Only three episodes of 'The League of Gentlemen' in this new series?

Not enough!

They are touring next year ...

I'm trying not to gush but that was just about as good a return as could possibly have been hoped for. Utterly faithful to the original series of so many years ago without being slaves to it. Even setting up the obvious one for Chinnery the vet worked because it was so damn knowing ... and then so damn brutal.

And in other news, I polished off Star Trek: Discovery in double quick time. First Trek I've watched since Deep Space Nine so I can't compare it to Voyager, Enterprise or the recent movies but I'll assume it thwacks their dull bottoms. And Sonequa Martin-Green is ludicrously hot.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They are touring next year ...

I'm trying not to gush but that was just about as good a return as could possibly have been hoped for. Utterly faithful to the original series of so many years ago without being slaves to it. Even setting up the obvious one for Chinnery the vet worked because it was so damn knowing ... and then so damn brutal.

And in other news, I polished off Star Trek: Discovery in double quick time. First Trek I've watched since Deep Space Nine so I can't compare it to Voyager, Enterprise or the recent movies but I'll assume it thwacks their dull bottoms. And Sonequa Martin-Green is ludicrously hot.

Did you say Hello to Jason Isaacs?

A couple of call-backs in last night's 'League of Gentlemen'. The town being merged with Spent, the location of the original (radio) series, and the episode ending with the two women trapped "Inside No.9".

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's a lot of folk who really don't get the concept of "entertainment".  You have the TOSser (The Original Series) trekkies who rail against any Klingon wearing anything other than dusky Arabic looking spray tan.  You have the Next Generation trekkies who rail against anything other than a Cornish pastie forehead Klingon.  You get anyone with the slightest bit of anal retention over Star Trek railing against the modern "reboot" movies.

You then get the lot who see anyone other than a straight white male cast in a major role as a "victory" (either sarcastically negative or hyperactively positive) for diversity rather than it simply being the best actor for the role.  Who gives a **** what someone's demographic grouping is if they're a good actor who does justice to the role?  Also, who cares if the writer casts a role as a gay man or writes a polyamorous Klingon/Tribble marriage, we actually do have gay people in society you know, and some "normal" marriages I've seen between men and women would best be described as "different".

You can probably tell I read the internet reviews of Star Trek: Discovery.  I think they were reviewing a different TV show to the one I watched as the one I watched was a well constructed TV series that's actually very well written and acted, with intelligent casting, enjoyable stories and a very good character arc, all written within a logical structure within the overall Star Trek "universe".

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 12/14/2017 at 10:14 AM, Tongs ya bas said:

Bancroft is hopeless. Almost a parody of the genre.

It has every police procedural cliche that has ever existed. The ' by the book' senior officer, the driven female detective , the female murder victim blah de blah.

The characters are ill thought out. For instance a character has made it to detective sergeant without seeing a dead body. She would have had to pass through the ranks of police constable, detective constable, through to sergeant and be a highlight experienced officer and seen dead bodies in all sorts of states.

There is some good acting talent involved, but the writing is lazy. 

Comfortably the worst thing I've seen this year despite, as you say, some decent people in it. Each epsiode got progressively worse.

48 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Me too. Just about to start season 1 episode 1. Looks promising.

Enjoy! In my opinion, the Christmas Special (after series 2) wasn't up to the high standards of the regular episodes. It was still okay, but not quite as good.

Star Trek: I'm sorry if I will offend anybody, but I love the whole concept, Original, Next Gen, Voyager, Deep Space 9, Enterprise, I Love them all, it what got me interested in Sci_Fi, and science in general, when I had lunch with an astronaut at Cape Canaveral 2 years ago, I was more made up than my 6 year old daughter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A couple of call-backs in last night's 'League of Gentlemen'. The town being merged with Spent, the location of the original (radio) series, and the episode ending with the two women trapped "Inside No.9".

Made teenage sons watch the first couple of episodes beforehand and there was a seriously impressive number of callbacks. I hadn't noticed the Huddersfield dialling code on some of the businesses the first time through, either. I thought it was brilliantly done. I rarely watch tv though.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I think I know who the photo booth belongs to.

me too- now you have said that, might send "my wife" for some new passport pics!

• Haha 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

me too- now you have said that, might send "my wife" for some new passport pics!

It could be Papa Laz... or maybe Hillary Briss looking to stock up on more 'special stuff'.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I laughed out loud at Pamela Doove reading the shipping forecast. Didn't see that one coming at all.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

10 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I laughed out loud at Pamela Doove reading the shipping forecast. Didn't see that one coming at all.

I recently re-watched series 3, which was very cleverly constructed (think 'Rashomon'), but not as funny as 1 & 2. Last night's episode was as strong as their best work (i.e. not series 3 or the feature film).

Edited by Futtocks