Football

Then he curled up on the turf like a girl.

Or, to put it another way, like a professional footballer...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

I find it sort of strange that on here there is outcry when and if a RU club poaches a single player from league but can be singing the praises of a club who only came into existence as a result of a WHOLE club being poached by a rival code.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I find it sort of strange that on here there is outcry when and if a RU club poaches a single player from league but can be singing the praises of a club who only came into existence as a result of a WHOLE club being poached by a rival code.

You'll get a twenty page thread demanding to know why a rugby union journalist is using the word 'rugby' but you won't find anyone ever wondering why a soccer writer can use 'football'.

What's the F in RFL stand for?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

suggs (madness) on bbc news this morning," what do you think suggs"? well for me he didn't kick him hard enough. :D .

always liked suggs.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Come on, how long are we meant to go back? Besides, my main concern is the City of Bradford and the good this has done for this place is already incredible. Its not quite utopia but barriers are being broken simply from a good cup run....who knows we may even get the hole filled in one day.

Sorry, I'm not really having a go at Bradford City and the people of Bradford, Christ knows, they could do with some good fortune ;). What I was trying to get at is that football (soccer) has done just as much, if not more, damage to our game over a long period of time yet no one is anywhere near as hostile to that game as they are to rugby union. I just really can't understand why.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Sorry, I'm not really having a go at Bradford City and the people of Bradford, Christ knows, they could do with some good fortune ;). What I was trying to get at is that football (soccer) has done just as much, if not more, damage to our game over a long period of time yet no one is anywhere near as hostile to that game as they are to rugby union. I just really can't understand why.

Err, hang on. Not true. I despise soccer.

Can't agree Griff. Soccer looked after itself and got on with developing their game. It wasn't their job to help RL but they didn't actively try to kill it. They never banned RL clubs from using their grounds nor ban players. Whereas RU did and more besides.

No, soccer did more than just develop its own game. It went out of its way to restrict the growth of a new code of professional football, prevented the growth of the game outside the heartlands and actively sought the same spectators.

It's misguided to believe soccer to be blameless and lay all of our ills on the door of rugby union.

Of course, rugby league's biggest enemy was, and is, itself.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

No, soccer did more than just develop its own game. It went out of its way to restrict the growth of a new code of professional football, prevented the growth of the game outside the heartlands and actively sought the same spectators.

It's misguided to believe soccer to be blameless and lay all of our ills on the door of rugby union.

Of course, rugby league's biggest enemy was, and is, itself.

Can't argue with any of that.

Like I said in my earlier post, soccer poached an entire club, Manningham to form Bradford City so as to try and establish itself as the dominant code in the city. This was far from an isolated example. The team I once played for, St Helens (Pilkinktons) Recs went the same way in 1902. Fortunately they only stuck to soccer for a couple of years and came back.

Edited by Griff9of13

They didn't ban RL.

They didn't have to.

Soccer actively sought to convert rugby clubs and prevent association clubs from playing rugby.

As far as I know, no guns were held to heads or Vichy style collaboration occurred. If they switched it was because they voted to.

That is true.

But in terms of the spread of a professional working class sport which do you think might have had the greater impact? A few clubbable chaps not wanting to professionalise themselves - or another professional working class sport going all out to win exactly the same market of spectators.

They were just taking advantage of the situation whereby the RU would rather rugby died out than be dominated by the oiks.

Yes, they were. But rugby league needed paying spectators to survive and grow, and soccer did not sit back and idly wait to see which side the working class public was going to support. (Obviously they acted in their own interests and didn't ban anyone but to pretend that only rugby union has been harmful, or to downplay what losing the fight with soccer meant (and continues to mean) is to ignore a major factor in rugby league's development.)

There's some truth in that but you can't expect a rival anything to help the opposition. They were pro soccer not (generally) anti RL. Whereas RU wanted to kill the code (not an exaggeration imo)

Certainly in the early days rugby union wanted to kill rugby league. After that, I think it was just pigheadedness and obstinacy.

Soccerball also had a problem with potential pro/am schisms up until the 1920s. The FA Cup was originally a challenge tournament for the amateur classes; the Amateur Football Alliance wanted to usurp the FA as the true custodian of the game.

Anyway.....just seen the prices of the tickets for Citys allocation of 31852.

£40 £56 £72 £90 and £100.

Not cheap but I bet they all go.

I'm sure they will.

And nobody will complain about why it's not on the season ticket or that the kick off time means they'll miss Bullseye.

And nobody will complain about why it's not on the season ticket or that the kick off time means they'll miss Bullseye.

I'm going to complain because I'll probably have to look after my grandkids.

The two girls have City shirts and the boy will support them just to spite me.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

You'll get a twenty page thread demanding to know why a rugby union journalist is using the word 'rugby' but you won't find anyone ever wondering why a soccer writer can use 'football'.

What's the F in RFL stand for?

Farce? Farrago? Farage?