Football

apart from RL has ruined the pitch :angry:

Played two games opposed to 20 home games for Town, snow frost etc etc and pictures taken of the pitch before the first home game against London show how bad it was before

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

you might well be right.

The thing about soccer though is that nothing has been done for decades and so it's taken for granted

it will be some time if and when soccer gets to grips with the matter.

other cultures made a start a long time ago: but soccer for some reason lags behind.

What a ridiculous post.

If nothing has been done there would still be monkey noises whenever a black player got the ball at Anfield. There aren't.

Unfortunately we can't compare whether things have improved for black rugby league players in this country because, despite how superior we are to soccer in openness, tolerance and loveliness, there don't seem to be that many.

The Serb and Russian racism don't come out of soccer, they come out of what, sadly, seems to be a visible part of their mainstream culture. There was even racist chanting (apparently) during a women's handball match in Serbia recently. Given that handball is also home to the lesbians of Scandinavia it just shows that sweeping generalisations about the culture of a sport are made in ignorance and doomed to failure.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think soccer is a good barometer of where we are as a society. We all like to think that we are intelligent, sensible and reasonable people but put us in a large group and mob mentality soon takes over. The same behaviour would be seen in any sport that is as big as soccer.

Fides invicta triumphat

I think soccer is a good barometer of where we are as a society. We all like to think that we are intelligent, sensible and reasonable people but put us in a large group and mob mentality soon takes over. The same behaviour would be seen in any sport that is as big as soccer.

That's absolutely true. Like most people on this board: -

-I consider myself to be an intelligent, sensible and reasonable person

- I've done daft stuff when caught up in the moment on a night out.

We shouldn't routinely excuse ourselves from any associated responsibility for society's ills merely by comparing ourselves with "moronic" football fans.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

What a ridiculous post.

If nothing has been done there would still be monkey noises whenever a black player got the ball at Anfield. There aren't.

Unfortunately we can't compare whether things have improved for black rugby league players in this country because, despite how superior we are to soccer in openness, tolerance and loveliness, there don't seem to be that many.

The Serb and Russian racism don't come out of soccer, they come out of what, sadly, seems to be a visible part of their mainstream culture. There was even racist chanting (apparently) during a women's handball match in Serbia recently. Given that handball is also home to the lesbians of Scandinavia it just shows that sweeping generalisations about the culture of a sport are made in ignorance and doomed to failure.

I'l ltake that on board Ginge.

what has been done to make racism, homophobia, and hate in mainstream soccer hasbeen pitiful, ad all to often paid lip service to.

It isn't jut racism and so on on that is the issue, but the expression that certain types of behaviour finds in soccer: behaviour that would be unacceptale, especially in the presence of children on the out. Where in any other form of mass entertainment can we xpect to hear the likes of the runway of death song?

Racism is now generally unacceptable to he extent that it is now illegal, and is less prevalent than say 30-40 yeas ago, hen we had the monkey chants, people selling right wing literature outside grounds and so on, or even worse in the 1920s and 30s when hooliganism in the UK was probably a its zenith.

You accurately describe the bhaviour of fans in central and eastern Europe and ameliorate it by saying tha is what these societies are like. It might well o. Does tt mea that wherever you go to spend your leisure time in large groups in these countries or the uk tenwe can expect tat kind of behaviour? Or that it should be deemed acceptable, 'because it's part of their culture'?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/arsene-wenger-4th-highest-paid-manager-in-world-football-and-worth-every-pence/

Unlike Robin van Persie, Arsene Wenger has been very consistent for the Arsenal board for 14 years running which at least partially explains why he is earning €9m - or £7.5m- a year.

The temptation is to look at the names on the list of the top 10 football managers and wonder how Wenger is earning his keep when he “hasn’t won a trophy for six years.” After all, you see Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, and Sir Alex Ferguson on there, earning top dollar while winning trophies and it’s an easy association. But here’s the list:

• Jose Mourinho (Real Madrid) €14.8m
  • Carlo Ancelotti (PSG) €13.5m
  • Pep Guardiola (Barcelona) €9.5m
  • Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) €9m :huh:
  • Guus Hiddink (Anzhi Makhachkala) €8.6m
  • Fabio Capello (England, formerly) €8.5m
  • Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United) €8m,
  • Dick Advocaat (Russia) €7m
  • Jose Antonio Camacho (China) €6.1m
  • Roberto Mancini (Manchester City) €5.9m

Agreed. and proportionally in the smaller spectator sports. I recall bananas being thrown at Ellery Hanley at Wilderspool and racist comments from the corporate boxes at Belle Vue and being abused when the stewards were notified. Yes, huge strides have been made but I think there are generational issues and education issues and it will take a long time to work these out of the system. Great progress has been made, but more , much more remains to be done.

but society isn't ruled by mob mentality.

It neither explains what happens in soccer nor excuses it. The people who behave in this way at soccer games hold the same views and have the same bigotry on the out as they do in soccer, but they aren't allowed to express them, certainly they aren't allowed to express them in the way they do. Soccer gives them an opportunity because nobody within the game is willing to do anything serious about it.

a miniority of the population attends soccer games. The majority of that minority don't behave in the way that is being discussed(although by their passivity towards it is significant). The people who behave in this way are a large minority of that group.

What I find significant is the behaviour of the various governing bodies of the sport and their efforts or lack of efforts to do something about it.

For example a soccer player who displayed a company logo on his underwear in a game was punished more severely than those who took part in the racist incidents at a recent England international.

Nobody makes any kind of genuine attempt to address or stand up against the evil behaviour that takes place on a massive scale in central and eastern europe.

The leader of the entire sport seems completely unreconstructed in his attitude to racism(amongst many other things)

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Last night Paolo Di Canio resigned as Swindon Town manager. Today some bookies have him favourite to become the next manager of....

....Swindon Town.

Never a dull moment at my club. A win tonight and we go top. Come on Town!

No manager, no board, top of the league!

Get in!!!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Results seemed to go well for Hull City tonight, their owners have stated they'll play elsewhere rather than the KC Stadium, should they get promoted.

They'd better start looking soon.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Results seemed to go well for Hull City tonight, their owners have stated they'll play elsewhere rather than the KC Stadium, should they get promoted.

They'd better start looking losing soon.

Edited for a more interesting viewpoint. ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Edited for a more interesting viewpoint. ;)

You've quoted my post and edited it. :angry:

I shall have to report you for this dastardly deed. Actually, I won't bother. Instead you can follow Salford for the rest of the season as punishment.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

They'd better start looking soon.

That's just bluff and bluster. Premiership clubs get £60 million next season; Hull City can't afford to turn that down. I wouldn't think that there's another first-class soccer ground within 50 miles of Hull

You've quoted my post and edited it. :angry:

I shall have to report you for this dastardly deed. Actually, I won't bother. Instead you can follow Salford for the rest of the season as punishment.

You cruel sod! :D :D :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

The Guardian gets it completely wrong by calling football welcoming and saying it has united Bradford.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/feb/21/bradford-capital-one-cup

Someone should tell them that it's ... oh, something about rotten culture ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)