Football

Anyway, enough of Celtic.

Tonight, Methven's greatest ever footballer scored her first goal for Scotland when she equalised in the last minute against Serbia.

Clelland grabs late equaliser in Serbia

I say Methven's greatest ever player...

We noticed that there had been a bereavement on Tuesday at our next door neighbour but one, and as we suspected it was the man of the house who had passed away. To us he had just been Fred, the friendly guy who was always in his garden in the summer, always ready for a chat. It turns out he made over 200 appearances for Aberdeen, was part of the team that in 1995 won the championship for the first time, and was Scotland goalie in the 1954 world cup (6 appearances in total).

Although born in Carnoustie, the family had lived in Methven for a few decades, his wife was teacher at the village school and one of his daughters taught both my children at nursery.

I wish I'd have known, reminiscing about his career would have made a change from chatting about the weather, his garden, my dog...

Fred Martin, RIP

Wasn't it Wimbledon? I think that was to pressurise the local authority into assisting in the building of a new stadium.

When I have talked to most Irish they all seem to get utter hard on's over the EPL yet don't seemed that bothered by the other code's of GAA and Rugby Union.

Would feel sorry for him if he got the job.

The England job is basically trying to control several massive egos who think they are better than they are, and have a nation expect you to get to the semi final stage of a major competition with a team which is probably not in the top 20 when it comes to technically gifted footballers. It's possibly the worst job in the world.

Apart from Beckham, the only ever technically gifted footballer England have ever had is Paul Scholes, he even stated that one of the reasons he retired was due to the amount of egos in the camp.

Anyways 93m for Gareth Bale according to numerous sources, I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

The England job is basically trying to control several massive egos who think they are better than they are, and have a nation expect you to get to the semi final stage of a major competition with a team which is probably not in the top 20 when it comes to technically gifted footballers. It's possibly the worst job in the world.

Apart from Beckham, the only ever technically gifted footballer England have ever had is Paul Scholes, he even stated that one of the reasons he retired was due to the amount of egos in the camp.

Anyways 93m for Gareth Bale according to numerous sources, I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

I'm going to guess probably at around 2022 before fofootball implodes on itself and has to restructure everything.

see report

That is just plain sick.

I've lost touch. I had no idea that Rhyl had been out of the top flight. Last time I looked they were doing quite well.

It's all boom and bust unless you're TNS.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There used to be the Home Internationals at the end of every season and the jocks used to win quite a bit. They sacked them in the 80's IIRC.

Always remember the Scottish fans snapping the goalposts at Wembley after Ray Clemence had let that goal through his legs. 2-0

Ah Seventies football a topic I probably know quite a lot about compared to music where I'm a bit rusty. The game in which Clemence let the ball through his legs was in 1976 at Hampden park that being the winning goal in a 2-1 win for Scotland. The posts were snapped in another 2-1 victory for Scotland in 1977 at Wembley.

Are these £93 Million figures quoted about Gareth Bale true?

Yep, a Football club with massive debts (several hundred million Euros, apparently) in a bankrupt country has offered something close to that amount. Madness.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Talking of Welsh Football, do Colwyn Bay (Conference North) ever play Rhyl (FAW) in friendlies?

I know it football politics, but it does seem Odd that Colwyn Bay, which is further west, is in an English League, and Rhyl opted for the Welsh League.

Talking of Welsh Football, do Colwyn Bay (Conference North) ever play Rhyl (FAW) in friendlies?

I know it football politics, but it does seem Odd that Colwyn Bay, which is further west, is in an English League, and Rhyl opted for the Welsh League.

They may do.  Aber have played Newport County in friendlies since the days of schism.  They could all play in the FAW Premier Cup when that existed but the FA teams can't enter the Welsh Cup any more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think the English are very realistic about England's chances.

I am not sure I have ever met an Englishman who thought England would win the world cup.  There are many who think they have a chance, just as Denmark did in 1992 and Greece in 2004, which is reasonable.

The last time England reached the semi's, it was held as a huge success.  When they reach the quarters, people are satisifed.  When they are out in the second round it is disappointing.  This is in-line with FIFA rankings, which is about as good a guide as there is.

The media get overly ebullient, but that is it,  I think the myth that England fans expect to win was born when it was a working class sport and middle class people sneered at England fans getting excited.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

can there be any more pointless thing- year in year out than Celtics inclusion in the champions league?

Can there be any more pointless thing than your post?

And can there be any more predictable event than Celtic, year after year, proving their critics wrong when it comes to European football?

GIRUY!

From the FA Cup final at the end of 2012/13 to the Extra Preliminary Round at the start of 2013/14, Wigan Robin Park, leading 2-1on the stroke of 90 minutes, lost 3-2 after 9 minutes of injury time.  Its funny watching teams at this level, at 2-2 there's no seeing the game out, its hell for leather to get a winner so you don't have to pay the other teams travel expenses in the event of a replay!

Pics.