Football

From the FA Cup final at the end of 2012/13 to the Extra Preliminary Round at the start of 2013/14, Wigan Robin Park, leading 2-1on the stroke of 90 minutes, lost 3-2 after 9 minutes of injury time.  Its funny watching teams at this level, at 2-2 there's no seeing the game out, its hell for leather to get a winner so you don't have to pay the other teams travel expenses in the event of a replay!

Pics.

Great photos. I used to really enjoy this stage of "The Road To Wembley", although it did seem weird to be watching the FA Cup in August: at Rochdale involvement in the competition was usually confined to the month of November.

One match I do remember from the early 80s was Rossendale United (now sadly defunct) v Chorley. The FA had just introduced the automatic red card for a professional foul by the last defender on an attacker in a scoring position. Chorley's goalie committed the foul and was duly sent off. Whether the Chorley fans didn't know about the new ruling I don't know, but they were furious - there was an actual pitch invasion by some of the fans (well, two or three of them).

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I appreciate it'll never be a problem for me in any subsequent seasons, this watching your team in Europe lark is hard work!

Wigans initial allocation of 1500 tickets for next weeks match in Brugge sold out in 2 hours, a further 2000 tickets have now been allocated, but before you can buy one seemingly you need to provide the club with travel and accomodation details at the request of the police.

Seems a crazy way of doing things, if you end up not getting a ticket but have travel booked are you not more likely to be wondering the bars of Brugge living up to the football fan sterotype?

Only other alternative seems to be booking on a coach leaving Wigan at 1am Thursday, going straight the game, then departing to arrive back in Wigan 8am Friday, that'll be fun!

Whilst I appreciate it'll never be a problem for me in any subsequent seasons, this watching your team in Europe lark is hard work!

Wigans initial allocation of 1500 tickets for next weeks match in Brugge sold out in 2 hours, a further 2000 tickets have now been allocated, but before you can buy one seemingly you need to provide the club with travel and accomodation details at the request of the police.

Seems a crazy way of doing things, if you end up not getting a ticket but have travel booked are you not more likely to be wondering the bars of Brugge living up to the football fan sterotype?

Only other alternative seems to be booking on a coach leaving Wigan at 1am Thursday, going straight the game, then departing to arrive back in Wigan 8am Friday, that'll be fun!

Try being a St Johnstone fan! Last season we drew Eskisehirspor from Turkey in the Europa League and a couple of hundred Saintees went to the away leg. They were treated with great respect and hospitality by the town and football club, which was reciprocated when their fans visited Perth for the 2nd leg. Many friendships were forged between fans, and the two clubs have cemented their new relationship by wearing each other's kit design as their away strip this season.

This season the Saints drew the (relatively) mighty Rosenborg, and again both sets of fans had a great time visiting each other's cities (even if the beer over there was expensive.

Having won the tie the next round was against FC Minsk of Belarus - the authorities wouldn't let anybody have visas. They wouldn't even let the club use the nearest airport - as it shut for the day at 2pm!

Try being a St Johnstone fan! Last season we drew Eskisehirspor from Turkey in the Europa League and a couple of hundred Saintees went to the away leg. They were treated with great respect and hospitality by the town and football club, which was reciprocated when their fans visited Perth for the 2nd leg. Many friendships were forged between fans, and the two clubs have cemented their new relationship by wearing each other's kit design as their away strip this season.

This season the Saints drew the (relatively) mighty Rosenborg, and again both sets of fans had a great time visiting each other's cities (even if the beer over there was expensive.

Having won the tie the next round was against FC Minsk of Belarus - the authorities wouldn't let anybody have visas. They wouldn't even let the club use the nearest airport - as it shut for the day at 2pm!

Seems to compound the behaviour before its started, seems daft.

I work with a guy who's girl friend is from Belarus, they have all sorts of fun and games getting in and out.  We've been quite lucky with the draw, Belgium, Russia and Slovenia, although I think the 2500 mile round trip to Russia will put a few people off.

St Johnson fans seem to have it right, I just hope the minority of young idiots that pop up from time to time at Wigan don't ruin it for the rest of us, should, hopefully be a good atmosphere.

As an aside the other team from Wigan take on Bacup and Rossendale tonight, not sure how much of Rossendale is left in that merger given they play in Bacup, sad to see Rossendale go.

Seems to compound the behaviour before its started, seems daft.

I work with a guy who's girl friend is from Belarus, they have all sorts of fun and games getting in and out.  We've been quite lucky with the draw, Belgium, Russia and Slovenia, although I think the 2500 mile round trip to Russia will put a few people off.

St Johnson fans seem to have it right, I just hope the minority of young idiots that pop up from time to time at Wigan don't ruin it for the rest of us, should, hopefully be a good atmosphere.

As an aside the other team from Wigan take on Bacup and Rossendale tonight, not sure how much of Rossendale is left in that merger given they play in Bacup, sad to see Rossendale go.

Have they merged? I didn't know about that, and it is a shame that United have gone. I hope, at least, that the merged club becomes stronger. I suppose it depends on how many fans are willing to transfer their allegiance.

When we first went to France for a GB match we went by coach from Wigan, at 5pm Overnight through France with a blocked chemical toilet, and arrived in Tolouse at about 3pm the following day.

The driver was not impressed at having to stop at every service station on the way down.

We stayed one night in a Hotel Ibis, and returned the following day, straight after the match in Carcassonne (I think, 1987).

A local coach firm (admitidly we are closer to Dover than most) runs trips to Brugge every Friday night, travelling on a night ferry, getting breakfast somewhere in Belgium, and returning home after a days shopping to arrive back in Hastings about 8am on Sunday.

Paolo Di Canio has been sacked by Sunderland.

Well, he had thirteen games to get it right...

Ordinarily I'd agree with the sentiment but he's taken a club that was underachieving but was pretty stable and turned that into a basket case.  Something he has a history of.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, I'll be off to the FA Cup next weekend in what I think is the Second Qualifying Round.  The decidedly unwelcoming and unsupported (I love going there) Chalfont St Peter of the Calor Southern League Central Division host Lewes of the Ryman League Premier.

I'm going for a crowd of 87 and a 3-1 win for Lewes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

When we first went to France for a GB match we went by coach from Wigan, at 5pm Overnight through France with a blocked chemical toilet, and arrived in Tolouse at about 3pm the following day.

The driver was not impressed at having to stop at every service station on the way down.

We stayed one night in a Hotel Ibis, and returned the following day, straight after the match in Carcassonne (I think, 1987).

A local coach firm (admitidly we are closer to Dover than most) runs trips to Brugge every Friday night, travelling on a night ferry, getting breakfast somewhere in Belgium, and returning home after a days shopping to arrive back in Hastings about 8am on Sunday.

Aye to be fair its the 8 hours each way it took us from Wigan to Dover thats the killer, an 1hr 40 on the ferry and the quick hop from Calais to Bruge was all very civilised and easily in day trip territory.

Anyway, I'll be off to the FA Cup next weekend in what I think is the Second Qualifying Round.  The decidedly unwelcoming and unsupported (I love going there) Chalfont St Peter of the Calor Southern League Central Division host Lewes of the Ryman League Premier.

I'm going for a crowd of 87 and a 3-1 win for Lewes.

87?  That sounds optimisitc!

Aye to be fair its the 8 hours each way it took us from Wigan to Dover thats the killer, an 1hr 40 on the ferry and the quick hop from Calais to Bruge was all very civilised and easily in day trip territory.

87?  That sounds optimisitc!

Lewes will probably bring about half of that.  CSP got around 80 per game in the Spartan South Midlands and now they've been promoted they still get around 80 per game.  They got around 80 for their last Cup match against the Met Police.

FA Cup? That's over for my local lot this year, no trips to Middlesborough in the 3rd round like last year, they got beat at home by Guernsey in the 1st QR

Guernsey are properly moneyed aren't they?  Moving through the ranks in quite a scary way.

Financially it doesn't make sense. Allow Di Canio to sign 14 players. Give him a short space of time to move tings forward then sack him. Clubs like Sunderland need to realise that going down isn't the be all and end all. Charlton under Curbishley went down, kept the faith and achieved top 10 consistently after getting promoted a second time. They get parachute payments too if they go down. Look at Wolves. Ridiculous.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Financially it doesn't make sense. Allow Di Canio to sign 14 players. Give him a short space of time to move tings forward then sack him. Clubs like Sunderland need to realise that going down isn't the be all and end all. Charlton under Curbishley went down, kept the faith and achieved top 10 consistently after getting promoted a second time. They get parachute payments too if they go down. Look at Wolves. Ridiculous.

Sunderland employed just eight managers from 1888 to 1972, and then onwards to 2013 it came to 28.

I think they sacked him because he was and is a complete and utter c##t!

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24214706