Football

How some clubs battle on heaven knows! Up in Scotland, Gretna F.C. rose to the giddy heights of the Premiership on the back of being bankrolled, only then to freefall into oblivion. 

I watch a junior under elevens  side on Saturdays and get real enjoyment. Long may the hard work by dedicated people live on, although some clubs inevitably will fold. 

Although Gretna are back as Gretna 2008 FC, currently playing in the Lowland Football League.

He does come across as a bit of a dinosaur on Radio Scotland's "Off The Ball" programme, advertised as "the most petty and ill-informed football programme on radio". On air, though, he is slapped down adequately by his co-presenter, Stuart Cosgrove.

Whatever humour he was trying to convey in the article, he just hasn't got the ability to get away with it. Total unacceptable.

Besides which, women's football in Scotland is at least giving us a little bit of success to cheer at the moment.

He does come across as a bit of a dinosaur on Radio Scotland's "Off The Ball" programme, advertised as "the most petty and ill-informed football programme on radio". On air, though, he is slapped down adequately by his co-presenter, Stuart Cosgrove.

Whatever humour he was trying to convey in the article, he just hasn't got the ability to get away with it. Total unacceptable.

Besides which, women's football in Scotland is at least giving us a little bit of success to cheer at the moment.

Goodison Park once hosted a women's football match between St Helens' Ladies and the famous Dick Kerr's Ladies of Preston which attracted 54,000, with over 14,000 not able to get in. 

And didn't it scare the football authorities?

There was a separate women's FA for a long time.  I think that was because the FA wouldn't sanction women's matches.  Whether they had any moral objection or just couldn't be bothered I'm not sure.

Excellent results for the British women's teams in the Champions League yesterday, including Glasgow City taking a 2-2 draw in Belgium.

Big fan of Glasgow City.  Good to see some British clubs at least not be dependent on a men's set-up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There was a separate women's FA for a long time.  I think that was because the FA wouldn't sanction women's matches.  Whether they had any moral objection or just couldn't be bothered I'm not sure.

Excellent results for the British women's teams in the Champions League yesterday, including Glasgow City taking a 2-2 draw in Belgium.

Big fan of Glasgow City.  Good to see some British clubs at least not be dependent on a men's set-up.

The lame excuse was men considered women's football a health hazard for the ladies. Furthermore, the women's game was gaining in popularity, much to the annoyance of those charged with running the sport. 

Women's football first took off in the late 19th century, only to be ridiculed. With women shedding the apron strings to help in the war effort, as well as many men on active service, it briefly took off again. Dick Kerr's Ladies actually toured France and North America. The FA at the time were not amused and sent out a strong message to the football authorities in Canada and the US not to play matches against them. Canada didn't offer as much as a cordial welcome, although the US did play three matches against Dick Kerr's Ladies. There was a shock in store though as all the US players were men. The ladies did put up a good show, winning one match, drawing another while losing one. That was that though and women's football then declined somewhat. 

Edited by Saint Billinge

No, some girl in the 70's who joined a lads team. Bless her, she was trying to play football. 

:ph34r:

Still, there is never a bad time to watch this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7jpfo_gregory-s-girl-football-trials_shortfilms

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yes, City have been successful. I thought they might have been in trouble when you-know-who set up women's sides but they seem to have survived reasonably well.

Yes, City have been successful. I thought they might have been in trouble when you-know-who set up women's sides but they seem to have survived reasonably well.

Aye.  Their biggest rivals - and it's relative - seems to be Hibs.

There must be some audience for soccer in Glasgow that doesn't want to be connected to the gruesome twosome.

I reckon it would will more likely that he left them.

Surprised he hasn't already gone.  This season in League 1 must be helping his credentials a bit but time is surely running out before a Championship club comes knocking,

Gillingham doing what football does best, wins them League two title, struggle this term then they sack Martin Allen. I pray Bradford have some sense and keep Parkinson for a long time.

Nice to see Michael Parkinson doing something with his free time now that he's not interviewing celebrities

Ukraine only won 8-0 because San Marino had 2 players sent off - discuss.

Bloody Andorra let me down again at the bookies, I thought they might have scored at least one goal in qualification matches, 0-30, not as bad as San Marino though. 1-54

I wish they'd all learn to say football correctly. 2 distinct syllables - foot and ball. NOT fubell, NOT fubellers. The quality of their diction is starting to match the quality of the game!

Such snobbery from an egalitarian!

Anyway, it's pronounced 'sock-err'.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/17/roy-hodgson-space-monkey-kick-it-out-investigation

Genuinely can't believe that i) this is a news story and ii) Kick It Out are getting involved. It's things like this why people don't take them as seriously as they should.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010