Football

...and they've managed to avoid Arsenal and Man City in the semis.

They must be strong favourites to beat Sheff Utd, be interesting to see, if they reach the final, whether it affects the magic weekend tickets or not.

Heady days for Ull Targers. They're actually a half decent side now. Can't see them slipping up against Sheff U.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Heady days for Ull Targers. They're actually a half decent side now. Can't see them slipping up against Sheff U.

Famous last words. I hope you're right.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

I'l give it a miss, thanks. Eastbourne is not really for me..it's full of old people.

Decent game in the end.  Eastbourne United AFC winning 2-1.  Only two red cards this time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A little ripple of sadness in the wider soccerballing world: Rye United (established 1938) have folded as they could not find the investment to help them finish the season.  Decent ground and well-supported (for a town of 6,000 people) but even in the Sussex County League soccer is an expensive business.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A little ripple of sadness in the wider soccerballing world: Rye United (established 1938) have folded as they could not find the investment to help them finish the season.  Decent ground and well-supported (for a town of 6,000 people) but even in the Sussex County League soccer is an expensive business.

Always sad to see a club go to the wall.

Not sure what its like down there, but the sums payed out up here by clubs at the bottom of the pryamid with double digit crowds on average in some cases are staggering.

yes had the gaul to question his yellow card

When the ref put his name in the book do you think he used an asterix?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Football is taking a bit of a cue from 6 Nations, but going even further and making it a league and knock out tournament. It means there will be a major international European football tournament every summer from 2018. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10722834/England-ready-to-play-in-new-Nations-League-as-revolutionary-Uefa-plan-earns-unanimous-backing.html

England will take part in a new Nations League from the 2018-19 season after all 54 of Uefa’s members agreed to back the revolutionary competition at its annual Congress this week.

The Telegraph has learnt that a resolution giving European football’s governing body permission to devise a third major international tournament is expected to be waved through in Kazakhstan this week, paving the way for the biggest shake-up in the football calendar in years.

The precise format of the competition has yet to be confirmed but it is understood that there is almost unanimous support for a biennial event which would replace friendly games and run in parallel with the World Cup and European Championship from 2018.

As it stands, Uefa wants to divide the event into three or four divisions, with promotion and relegation between them.

England would qualify for a 16-team top flight, which would be split into four groups of four, with home and away fixtures taking place alongside qualifying matches for the World Cup and European Championship. Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland and Portugal are all likely to join England in the top division.

The winners of each of the four groups would then advance to a ‘Final Four’ tournament at a neutral venue, with two semi-finals and a final taking place over several days during the summer of odd-numbered years.

As well as the carrot of promotion, winners of the lower divisions could be rewarded with wild-card places at future European Championships.

The concept of a Nations League was first proposed by Uefa last year as Michel Platini, the European governing body’s president, sought to restore the prestige of international football.

The success of the Champions League, in particular, sparked concern that what was traditionally considered the highest level of the game had been overtaken by elite club competition.

Uefa’s expansion of the European Championship finals from 16 to 24 teams was also criticised for diluting the quality of its flagship international tournament.

The draw last month for the 2016 European Championship threw up a particularly unattractive set of fixtures for England, who can finish third in Group E and still qualify for the finals.

Greg Dyke, the Football Association chairman, reacted enthusiastically this month to the possibility of playing the likes of Germany, Spain and Italy on a regular basis.

He said: “In principle, we’d be quite interested. The hard thing about that is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive.”

The FA faces a huge challenge to drum up interest in England’s Group E fixtures and will endeavour to secure a series of glamorous friendlies in the coming years to entice fans to Wembley, on which it still owes £277  million.

Edited by Mr Wind Up

And Celtic are champions!  What a surprise...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Scottish leagues are a joke,even when Rangers get back up,back to a 2 horse race

The title is always a joke but I've always enjoyed going to Scottish football far more than I ever enjoyed the equivalent over the border.  Sadly, even Queen of the South is a smidge too far for me now.