Football

There's always Gretna (2008) in the Lowland League.

Many happy days at Raydale Park ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Eastbourne United AFC and Sholing draw their FA Vase semi final first leg.  Everything to play for next week.

In other news, at the encouragement of my father in law, I looked up the prices for taking Tiny Ginger to Brighton & Hove Albion.

So, that'd be £50 (for any decent game) I'd not be seeing again ...

Just a little reminder of just how cheap Super League is compared to other professional sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Eastbourne United AFC and Sholing draw their FA Vase semi final first leg.  Everything to play for next week.

In other news, at the encouragement of my father in law, I looked up the prices for taking Tiny Ginger to Brighton & Hove Albion.

So, that'd be £50 (for any decent game) I'd not be seeing again ...

Just a little reminder of just how cheap Super League is compared to other professional sport.

Season tickets for my daughter and I at Wigan Athletic cost a total of £250 if we'd managed to go to every home game this season of which there have been far to many, it would have worked out at £13 a match for the pair of us.  Its just your namby pamby southern teams that cost a fortune to watch - whatever the sport!

The best value sport for my money in our neck of the woods is Ice Hockey at £17 for a family of four.

Season tickets for my daughter and I at Wigan Athletic cost a total of £250 if we'd managed to go to every home game this season of which there have been far to many, it would have worked out at £13 a match for the pair of us.  Its just your namby pamby southern teams that cost a fortune to watch - whatever the sport!

The best value sport for my money in our neck of the woods is Ice Hockey at £17 for a family of four.

The more I compare the more Brighton's prices seem extraordinary.  An equivalent for you and your daughter's tickets to support these blue and white stripes would be £560.

The more I compare the more Brighton's prices seem extraordinary.  An equivalent for you and your daughter's tickets to support these blue and white stripes would be £560.

Crazy money, next season I think it will costs something like £290 for the two of us, seemingly regardless of what division were in, at that money I don't mind the wondering attention span of a 5/6 year old, double it and I wouldn't bother, there's to many cheaper/better value alternatives.

A couple of thousand there to see Sholing lead 3-0 at half time before holding out 4-2.  They get to play former world champions West Auckland at Wembley at 10 May.

I'm sure the Vase and Trophy finals used to be on the same weekend - but now the Trophy final has already been and gone.  Professionalism and Conference play-offs getting in the way, I imagine.

England spank Montenegro 9:0 and our cricket team is in the world T20 final!

Bit of a shame that we have men's teams in both sports too,,,

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read in the local paper that Bradford City played Coventry in midweek and the crowd was about 1600. They are playing in Northampton apparently. ...what on earth has happened to them?

I seem to remember it was a dispute with the owners of the Ricoh Arena.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

A couple of thousand there to see Sholing lead 3-0 at half time before holding out 4-2.  They get to play former world champions West Auckland at Wembley at 10 May.

I'm sure the Vase and Trophy finals used to be on the same weekend - but now the Trophy final has already been and gone.  Professionalism and Conference play-offs getting in the way, I imagine.

Wasn't there a TV version a few years back of the story of West Auckland winning the first World Cup in Turin? It was sponsored by Lipton's Tea IIRC.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It has gone horribly wrong for Coventry - they don't even play in Coventry any more, from what I've read. It wasn't that long ago when they had a decent and very watchable Premiership team.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There seem to be at least three interested parties all acting like bald men in search of a comb but the upshot is that Coventry City cannot play at the Ricoh.  There are various splits within the City support now - some who go to Northampton and pay to watch, some who go and stand on a hill nearby and the majority who don't go at all.  They have more supporters at away matches.

Wasn't there a TV version a few years back of the story of West Auckland winning the first World Cup in Turin? It was sponsored by Lipton's Tea IIRC.

I'm not sure but probably.  The whole story is filled with myths as I don't think anyone really knows why they were there or if they really were called World Champions or anything similar.

Dancing on the streets of Raith as they beat Rangers in the final of the Ramsden's Cup.

It seems Rangers battled bravely against a higher league club.  It will be interesting to see if they are able to compete with the big boys next year.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Yes, Dennis Waterman captained the side.

Did he sing the theme tune?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Grocery store magnate Sir Thomas Lipton sponsored as well as provided a trophy for an international football competition in 1909 and played for again in 1911. West Auckland won the four-team tournament both times, with the last one by defeating Juventus 6-1 in the final. It said that the villagers needed to auction personal possessions in order to pay for first trip to Italy. The FA were approached initially to submit a team but declined. 

West Auckland kindly allowed me to reproduce a team photo displaying the cup for my football book.

Yes, Dennis Waterman captained the side.

Then he played the part of Albert Goldthorpe in The First Kangaroos.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.