Football

ITV having to fill and fill because of a thunderstorm. Adrian Chiles to Roy Hodgson "how about a bit of despair, Roy?"  :biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Football League has apparently rejected the proposal for a 'League Three' and for strategic loan partnerships.

However the thing currently called the Johnstone's Paint Trophy may be reconfigured to admit Premier League B teams.

And thus England will win the 2022 World Cup.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

John Oliver on FIFA and the World Cup. Very funny, slightly chilling.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

FIFA are a disgusting organisation, the personal plaything of dictator Blatter. He's now pulling the race card to get himself out of the utterly ridiculous and obviously corrupt choice of Qatar in 2022.

At least with RL the worst we face is self-interest and incompetence instead of corruption. The worst is that nothing will be done and the whole event is just seen as another black mark on English football, meaning that we'll probably never see an English World Cup again in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help but notice the pre-season friendlies this summer has thrown up this fixture;

Cheadle Town v Steaua Bucharest

Monday 30th June, 7pm kick off, more details here.

Cheadles is a cracking little ground, got to be worth a look if your in the area!

We've drawn Derry City in the Europa League qualifying.

That should be a cracking tie; is it winnable do you think? If so, will they be at home in the next round on 17th July? I ask because I'm in mid-Wales that week (daughter's graduation) and I wouldn't mind popping along.

St Johnstone have drawn FC Luzern from Switzerland, which is certainly more welcome than last year's tie with FC Minsk. The authorities don't seem to understand the needs of travelling football fans regarding visas.

That should be a cracking tie; is it winnable do you think? If so, will they be at home in the next round on 17th July? I ask because I'm in mid-Wales that week (daughter's graduation) and I wouldn't mind popping along.

St Johnstone have drawn FC Luzern from Switzerland, which is certainly more welcome than last year's tie with FC Minsk. The authorities don't seem to understand the needs of travelling football fans regarding visas.

I don't think it is particularly winnable.  We got into Europe via the Welsh Cup - losing finalists to TNS after what must have been one of the easiest runs to the final in history.  Even our semi final was against a lower tier side - and we finished 7th (albeit disputed) because we didn't make the top half of the split in the league.  I'd expect a spirited but heavy defeat over two legs.

With regards to the next round. This tie is match 27 and my understanding is that the home side on July 17 will be the side that wins match 27.  They will play Shakhtyor Salihorsk of Belarus.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 4 weeks later...

From the Spanish 2nd Division, CD Lugo's beer and octopus-styled strips.

BtJDVAxIYAAs66l.jpg

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The new soccerball season starts today.  My dad is taking me to see Banbury United v North Leigh in exciting friendly action.

I've had another thought that'd make it even more 'authentic' - you have to play in your school shoes!

And get shouted in one by one by a mam type voice. The type that goes up a couple of octaves by the time it gets to the end

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

They've got houses to buy up though.

Some of the Class of 92 own Salford City.

I had the pleasure of Wigan Robin Park v Salford City last Tuesday, was so good Phil Neville gave up at half time and left!  Finished 1-1, should have been a Wigan victory but they missed a penalty with about 10 to go, Salford put out a strong team but they didn't look right fussed about putting a shift in!

• 3 weeks later...

The new season begins.  Eastbourne United AFC scratch out a 1-0 win over Horsham YMCA to get their Sussex County League First Division campaign off to a winning start.

I took some photies and wrote about it here.

The new season begins.  

What??? Its only bleeding August, whatever happened to a football season from September to end of April.  At least it gave the people who have no interest in football a bit of a break.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

What??? Its only bleeding August, whatever happened to a football season from September to end of April.  At least it gave the people who have no interest in football a bit of a break.

Season ends on 30 May with the FA Cup final.

I wonder if anyone will be apologising to Vincent Tan after all the abuse he received?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I wonder if anyone will be apologising to Vincent Tan after all the abuse he received?

I don't see why they should.  He was a monstrous ######.  That the person he was a ###### to was also a ###### ...  well, that's hardly surprising either.