Football

England women toast Wales (played 8 won 8 against them now) to qualify for the World Cup in Canada.  Such a turnaround from Hope Powell's days.  Agree with the BBC commentary though - it's very hard for England to know how good they are given they've had such an easy group but they are certainly a much more coherent outfit than in the last European Championships.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Beast is back! Mario signs for Liverpool!

They had to bring their nutjob striker quotient back up after losing Suarez.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wales can still qualify

They can but I'd say they were unlikely.

And, given that England are unlikely to progress far next year, would get absolutely trounced if they do it make it to Canada.

It's a shame for women's football that the FAs in the UK like to put up the barriers.  Glasgow City tried to join the FA WSL and a team in Wales would do wonders for them as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Do they also get Luigi and Sonic as part of the deal?

I believe Sonic plays RL these days and recently signed for Bristol.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

This guy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17593237 - is currently being interviewed on the Danny Baker Show on Radio 5. Quite a life story!

When it gets on the iPlayer, the interview starts half way through the show (10am). Definitely worth a listen. Edit: there's already a World Service interview with him on iPlayer, linked at the bottom of the BBC page in this post.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another Mick Morgan mashup.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This guy - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17593237 - is currently being interviewed on the Danny Baker Show on Radio 5. Quite a life story!

When it gets on the iPlayer, the interview starts half way through the show (10am). Definitely worth a listen. Edit: there's already a World Service interview with him on iPlayer, linked at the bottom of the BBC page in this post.

I downloaded his book as a Kindle. Blimey, this is entertaining - every time life suggested an opportunity, he dived in head first. Really entertaining, funny stuff and totally recommended. :) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I downloaded his book as a Kindle. Blimey, this is entertaining - every time life suggested an opportunity, he dived in head first. Really entertaining, funny stuff and totally recommended. :)

Just finished the book (Lutz Pfannenstiel - The Unstoppable Keeper). I've never read a football autobiography or biography before, and I suspect that any I read after this would be a huge let-down. Very funny, occasionally harrowing, always interesting. Recommended.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good game (well, last 10 minutes). Pity about the result on Tuesday night meaning Bradford have to play MK Dons rather than the easier passage to the next round of Man United.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Good game (well, last 10 minutes). Pity about the result on Tuesday night meaning Bradford have to play MK Dons rather than the easier passage to the next round of Man United.

Some quite ugly reports going round about crowd violence - in particular the expected thugs from Leeds* getting grumpy and attacking spectators in the disabled area, which actually included Leeds fans.

(* Yes, yes, I know, not all Leeds United fans are thugs but games like this will bring out the moron element amongst the 'support').

Some quite ugly reports going round about crowd violence - in particular the expected thugs from Leeds* getting grumpy and attacking spectators in the disabled area, which actually included Leeds fans.

I actually stopped watching the game because of the vile chanting that I assume was generated by both sets of fans. Some people probably took their young kids to that game.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

835 million quid spent in the transfer window by Premier league sides.

No wonder my Sky subscription is so chuffing high.

Actually, I do wonder about the economics of this. Foreign owners fund foreign players and clubs via the medium of an English football club. Does any of the money go through our tax system?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Actually, I do wonder about the economics of this. Foreign owners fund foreign players and clubs via the medium of an English football club. Does any of the money go through our tax system?

There is potential for it to be a racket. Agents and clubs can make the transfers overseas, where money can go "missing". Obviously, our own owners, managers and agents would never get involved in such an underhand practice.

;)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/366403/Barcelona-charged-with-tax-fraud-over-Neymar-big-money-move

It is not entirely clear what the total size of the Premier League economy is, but its income tax and national insurance contribution alone is thought to be worth more than £1.3 billion per year to the British government.

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-much-is-the-premier-league-worth-29863

Its worth pointing out that its not really £835m spent. If I give you £20, and you give someone else £18 from the 20 I gave you, we haven't spent £38. You've just gone on to spend a percentage of what I gave you. The transfer system is similar. Its a few clubs spending big and the others recycling that money within the system.    

Some serious money been spent, as a Wigan fan, pleased with how we've gone about our business, we seem to have more than balanced the books and improved the squad.

Shame we couldn't find someone to panick buy Grant Holt, but you can't have everything!

Got an email from Bradford Park Avenue and this Saturday is non league day apparently. The sponsors of the league are donating money to Prostate cancer and if they get an aggregate attendance of over 50k a lot more.

Non-League day is a cracking initiative always co-insides with an international break, be another bumper weekend for clubs down the leagues as they attract plenty of groundhoppers looking for a fix!

Well, that was interesting! But enough about 'Great British Bake Off', I am now watching England v Norway and it is thin gruel indeed. Now switching to BBC4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sepp Blatter will stand for re-election after all. What a surprise! :rolleyes: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's no guarantee that Michel Platini would be any straighter than Blatter.

Frank Riberi has retired from international football. However, Platini says he will suspend him for three games if he doesn't turn up for France's next fixture.

I think recourse to our dear friends the Human Rights lawyers might be in order. Shami and Cherie are no doubt  awaiting his call.