Football

There's no guarantee that Michel Platini would be any straighter than Blatter.

Frank Riberi has retired from international football. However, Platini says he will suspend him for three games if he doesn't turn up for France's next fixture.

I think recourse to our dear friends the Human Rights lawyers might be in order. Shami and Cherie are no doubt  awaiting his call.

Is Ribery's court case for that underage prostitute business still ongoing? He could end up missing more than three games,

Shame about Platini. Great player turned hopeless administrator.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not sure if this has slipped under the radar a bit but it seems Hull City's Chairman Ass eem Allam isn't quite the generous benefactor to the Tigers he first appeared to be.

This story is in today's paper and in the comments section, there are a few suggesting the £100 million plus he's "given" to the football club is in fact a loan and he's charging appropriate interest.

Have these few people got it wrong or have the public of Hull been had with tales of the man's generosity?

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Not sure if this has slipped under the radar a bit but it seems Hull City's Chairman Ass eem Allam isn't quite the generous benefactor to the Tigers he first appeared to be.

This story is in today's paper and in the comments section, there are a few suggesting the £100 million plus he's "given" to the football club is in fact a loan and he's charging appropriate interest.

Have these few people got it wrong or have the public of Hull been had with tales of the man's generosity?

The money Allam has put in is definitely in the form of a loan, mate. I remember reading somewhere that it's shown as such in the club's last set of accounts. I don't know the interest rate he's paying himself but you can guarantee it will be a little better than the local building society. I'm sure he could get an even better return if he invested it but that's not the point. He's not quite the generous philanthropist he likes to be portrayed as.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I saw a programme on ITV4 this morning, Big Game Revisited I think. It was Arsenal v Notts Forest with Brian Moore from January 14 1979 (my 13th birthday!) There was also an interview with Malcolm Alison who had just been made manager of Man City and was promising to bring back the good times to Maine Rd.

To say football is different world today would be an understatement. I used to love it then.

I wish they had some clips from Granada's version of The Big Match. Gerald Sinstadt was a fine commentator. Eventually, we had to put up with the inferior product from YTV.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a teenager supporting Cardiff, our  grudge matches weren't against Swansea (they were usually in the Third Division) but our big rivals Bristol City.

Tonight on Sky, it's the West Country derby ... Bristol City v Cheltenham !!

I almost feel sorry for the Robins ... not.

B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

When I was a teenager supporting Cardiff, our  grudge matches weren't against Swansea (they were usually in the Third Division) but our big rivals Bristol City.

Tonight on Sky, it's the West Country derby ... Bristol City v Cheltenham !!

I almost feel sorry for the Robins ... not.

B)

Everyone will feel sorry for Cardiff when they stop laughing at the redbirds.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I see being paid tens of thousands of pounds a week is proving a bit soporific for England's teenage soccer players. A player called Raheem Sterling, who I have never heard of, is "too tired" to play for his country. When a 100 or so Rugby League players are preparing to play in an international series after 8 months knocking bits of each other this little prima donna cannot summon up the energy to play 90 minutes of Wendyball after only a couple of months of tip tapping a soccer ball around in what amounts to a non-contact sport these days. Don't ya just love soccer!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29596723

• 2 weeks later...

It must be Saturday evening; Leeds United have sacked another manager. :P 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It must be Saturday evening; Leeds United have sacked another manager. :P

it's not a bad gig really.

You don't have to be any good, but you get a good wedge for coming and another good wedge when you get the sack a few weeks later. I love it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• 3 weeks later...

I'm full of cold, so not going out tonight.

Watched the start of Scotland v Ireland, intending to watch it for a bit while eating my tea, then watch something I'd taped.

I ended up watching it all. What a great game; proper old-fashioned football with a decent ref who didn't object to seeing a bit of tackling.

Well done, Scotland.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I liked the bit where the Faroe Islands beat Greece.  In Greece.

Reports in the Greek press that Ranieri will leave after the next game against Serbia on Tuesday. Ekathimerini reports he has agreed to go and reduced his compensation claim to let it happen more quickly. Giorgios Sarris (the boss of the Greek football association) is quoted as saying "I take full responsibility for the unfortunate choice of the manager."

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I don't want to jinx it, but Italy v Croatia on ITV4 right now has been a real cracker of a match. I know, Italy in "watchable" shock!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't want to jinx it, but Italy v Croatia on ITV4 right now has been a real cracker of a match. I know, Italy in "watchable" shock!

Game suspended, due to Croatian 'fans' chucking flares and fireworks. Italians 'fans' indignant, because they assumed that's their job.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just skimmed it, but will give it more of a read tomorrow. A quality piece on a forgotten star.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Game suspended, due to Croatian 'fans' chucking flares and fireworks. Italians 'fans' indignant, because they assumed that's their job.

The only surprise being that there don't appear to have been any Serbs to join in.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Scotland v England. A game of pace, a fair bit of skill and, most significantly, almost no tarty histrionics when a firm tackle is made. And there were plenty of those.

I also got the sense that both teams were really enjoying it. The enthusiasm from both sides was great to see.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scotland v England. A game of pace, a fair bit of skill and, most significantly, almost no tarty histrionics when a firm tackle is made. And there were plenty of those.

I also got the sense that both teams were really enjoying it. The enthusiasm from both sides was great to see.

There was a noticeable gulf in ability. One reasonable team, one poor.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959