Football

I'm sure today's events at the KC will have cheered you up though.

Only to the point of being delirious.
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Not generally advertised, but tonight's FA Cup tie between Cardiff and Colchester is live on BBC2 Wales (Sky Channel 971).

It appears that the Cardiff public were also unaware that the match was happening.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It appears that the Cardiff public were also unaware that the match was happening.

It's an organised boycott by supporters as a protest against changing the tream colours to red and changing the club badge.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It's an organised boycott by supporters as a protest against changing the tream colours to red and changing the club badge.

I know that they've always hated the colour change (and quite right too) but there seemed to be a lack of stay-away-protest when they were playing in the Premier League last season.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I know that they've always hated the colour change (and quite right too) but there seemed to be a lack of stay-away-protest when they were playing in the Premier League last season.

Quite.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Split loyalties today, Yeovil or Utd? Maybe a draw is the best, so the Glovers can get another decent payday from a visit to Old Trafford. Lord knows they need it.

No split loyalties for me today.

At least now Hull Targers can concentrate on getting relegated.

Oldham Athletic set announce the signing of Chedwyn Evans who has been clubless for a few years.

They have just done a u-turn, due to pressures from sponsors etc. and will not now be signing him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They have just done a u-turn, due to pressures from sponsors etc. and will not now be signing him.

I don't get it, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it all off the pitch on a football level it seems like an awful decision to take.  It'll be an age before he's "match fit", every game, especially away from home will be infront of a hostile opposition support pouncing on every mistake until the lads confidence is shot, then there's always the chance a 3rd Division vet decides enoughs enough and sticks one on him. 

Really don't see the point there must be better options out there, like I say though, talking purely from a football point of view.

I don't get it, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it all off the pitch on a football level it seems like an awful decision to take.  It'll be an age before he's "match fit", every game, especially away from home will be infront of a hostile opposition support pouncing on every mistake until the lads confidence is shot, then there's always the chance a 3rd Division vet decides enoughs enough and sticks one on him. 

Really don't see the point there must be better options out there, like I say though, talking purely from a football point of view.

From a football POV I think it was a no lose for Oldham, as the girlfriend's dad was supposed to be bankrolling the whole deal

From a football POV I think it was a no lose for Oldham, as the girlfriend's dad was supposed to be bankrolling the whole deal

It wasn't just sponsors saying they'd pull out if Evans was signed, but club staff have been intimidated, including one person who received a threat, naming the address of his daughter and threatening to rape her if Evans became an Oldham player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The media are whipping this up. Every single newspaper and tv channel refers to him not as "Ched Evans" but as "Convicted Rapist Ched Evans". I note that they never refer to their own organisations as the "Child-Molester-Employing BBC", the "Hitler-Supporting Daily Mail", the "Illegal Phone Hacking News International" or the "Pension-Stealing Daily Mirror".

:dry:

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

It wasn't just sponsors saying they'd pull out if Evans was signed, but club staff have been intimidated, including one person who received a threat, naming the address of his daughter and threatening to rape her if Evans became an Oldham player.

Although when asked about specifics apparently Oldham denied there had been any beyond the howling and shouting.

I'm sure it's very sad for Convicted Rapist and Twice Failed Appealer Ched Evans, especially given that the website that so many of his acolytes depend on for The Truth is under investigation for being a hotch-potch of BS and contempt of court.

At least now Hull Targers can concentrate on getting relegated.

They seem to be concentrating quite hard. Palace's win over Spurs this evening has dumped them back into the relegation spots.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

They seem to be concentrating quite hard. Palace's win over Spurs this evening has dumped them back into the relegation spots.

:biggrin:

Just popped onto this thread to express my delight at a perfect day and you've already scuppered my post!

Can you explain why someone from Hull would delight in their hometown club in any sport being in trouble a joyful thing?

Certainly, although you probably need to be a local to fully grasp the situation but I'll give it a go.

Hull City Council built the KC Stadium for the people of Hull. It was intended to be a facility in use all year round, with leases granted to both Hull City and Hull FC to allow them to play there, but also a facility to host pop concerts and the like and plenty of office and conferencing space for use by anybody wanting to hire them.

The stadium needed a body to run it so the Stadium Management Company (SMC) was formed and both Hull City and Hull FC were invited to join the SMC board for a fee. At the time Hull FC was being run by people with no long term interest in the RL club so they didn't want to spend any cash and turned the offer down. This was a fatal error for the RL club. Hull City took their opportunity, probably with some glee, and so now they are enjoying a 50 year lease during which whoever is the Chairman of Hull City is also the Chairman of the SMC.

Everything ran okay for a while until the football club were promoted to the top tier. The Premiership millions that this brought in attracted all sorts of unsavoury characters hoping to get their hands on some of it. It could be argued that, for a time, Paul Duffen was probably the worst. He stopped the concerts and treat the RL team and it's fans like they were lepers, once suggesting during a live radio debate that RL fans couldn't write. He wouldn't allow any RL internationals to be played at the stadium either, always saying it was "unavailable". During his tenure he was also accused of syphoning money out of the football club but this matter was apparently settled out of court. Russell Bartlett also seemed to have a chequered history whilst Chairman, apparently taking out a £4 million loan to help buy the club, seemingly using the stadium as collateral.

Then after a couple of seasons, the football club were relegated and once the money began to dry up, people like Duffen and Bartlett lost interest, Hull City's financial state took a drastic turn for the worse and they needed bailing out again.

Along came the Allams. They "bought" the club and apparently got it back on a relatively even keel, saying it cost them far more than they anticipated but, with Hull being their adopted home, they wanted to put something back into the city. It seems though, that all the money they've put in is actually a loan, and they are apparently earning interest on it all the time.

During the Allam's tenure at Hull City and naturally, the SMC, they apparently had a fall out with and sacked Adam Pearson who was still involved with Hull City as Director of football, held a consultancy role on the SMC and had recently bought Hull FC. Pearson reacted with surprise and anger at the sacking, but he was a big supporter of Nick Barmby who was Hull City coach at the time and had been sacked after suggesting the Allams didn't have the club's interests at heart. There was another apparent out of court settlement which Pearson afterwards said he was happy with and ended the matter.

Since that time, it looks like the Allams have taken it upon themselves to make sure they "get their own back" on Pearson, which obviously means the SMC giving the RL club a hard time. I'm not going to bother listing the recent stuff that's gone on, like I said earlier, you probably need to be a local to grasp it all.

It's fairly obvious that the Allams and plenty of the football club's fans want Hull FC out of, what they regard as, their stadium. Whilst they're in the Premiership with near capacity crowds when the big boys are in town and have all the money rolling in, they're in a fairly powerful position compared to their co tenants. When they get relegated and all that money and half decent players it attracts disappears, then they will be back on a similar footing to the RL club, or possibly far worse if recent history is anything to go by.

I've tried to remember stuff as accurately as I could in my explanation with a bit of Google help but if anyone can correct anything I've put then feel free to do so.

I hope that goes some way to explain my position.

Can you explain why someone from Hull would delight in their hometown club in any sport being in trouble a joyful thing?

You might also want to ask why the soccer club's owner has eradicated the name of our hometown from their club badge, match day programme and anything else he can get away with.

He is a nasty, petty, vindictive man. It's in the best long term interests of both Hull City and Hull FC that his ownership of the soccer club and the stadium management company comes to an end. If relegation from the Premiership means that happens sooner than later, then all well and good. It's not just Hull FC fans who see things this way. Many Hull City fans are also of the same opinion.

This is from The Independent's review of the 2014 sporting year.

Villain of the year

Assem Allam, Hull City’s owner – who has spent another year making public threats to sell the club because supporters are unhappy about him changing the club’s name to the “Tigers”. Allam is everything that is worst in Premier League club annexation, masquerading as ownership.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I've tried to remember stuff as accurately as I could in my explanation with a bit of Google help but if anyone can correct anything I've put then feel free to do so.

I hope that goes some way to explain my position.

Pretty good account of events, mate. I think I would also add Allam's ludicrous expectation that the city council would give him the freehold of the stadium for nothing and his subsequent pathetic, juvenile behaviour in his dealings (or lack of) with them.