Football

You couldn't do any worse

He could do a lot worse... he could accept the Villa job.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

An entertaining read: Claudio Ranieri's two penn'orth.

A very likeable man who has done a lot to restore faith in football not being just who can afford the most. It doesn't half put a lot of pressure on managers at "better" clubs with "better" players who can't keep up with Leicester.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

“I want you to play for your teammates. We are a little team, so we have to fight with all our heart, with all our soul. I don’t care the name of the opponent. All I want is for you to fight. If they are better than us, Okay, congratulations. But they have to show us they are better.” - Claudio Ranieri

Now that's the attitude I want all my sporting teams to have!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Manchester City are through to the semis of a European Club championship.  That means Manchester are the second city in England to have sent two clubs that far with London being the first.

England is the second nation in Europe to have had two towns manage this.  What is the other?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Manchester City are through to the semis of a European Club championship.  That means Manchester are the second city in England to have sent two clubs that far with London being the first.

England is the second nation in Europe to have had two towns manage this.  What is the other?

I'd guess either Italy or Spain.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd guess either Italy or Spain.

Italy would be a good guess.  Milan and either Turin or Rome.  But no.

And not Spain either, Madrid, but who else?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Scotland?  Rangers and Celtic?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It is a brilliant question. It took me ages to work out the possibilities and even then I had to check Wikipedia to see if one of the sides had made a semi final in the sixties. So I didn't get it fairly.

I won't spoil it for anyone else.

Scotland?  Rangers and Celtic?

That is one city.  The question demands two cities from the same nation.

Just lost patience and looked it up, but I won't spoilt it for the rest of you.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The answer is Scotland, so kudos to Bedford Roughyed.

Glasgow (Celtic and Rangers) of course, but also Dundee.  Dundee FC reached the semi-final of the European Cup in the early sixties.  Then Dundee United reached the semi-final in 1984.  You can even check YouTube to see the defeat the far more technically gifted AS Roma 2-0.

Roma won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1960-61, Lazio the Cup-Winners Cup in 1998-99.  Both Inter and AC Milan have won European finals. Or does the question only count European Cup/Champions League?

Roma won the Inter-City Fairs Cup in 1960-61, Lazio the Cup-Winners Cup in 1998-99.  Both Inter and AC Milan have won European finals. Or does the question only count European Cup/Champions League?

Your right!  The question does only work well if applied to the European Cup/Champions League.  But I did not write the question that way.  Sorry.

The answer is Scotland, so kudos to Bedford Roughyed.

Glasgow (Celtic and Rangers) of course, but also Dundee. Dundee FC reached the semi-final of the European Cup in the early sixties. Then Dundee United reached the semi-final in 1984. You can even check YouTube to see the defeat the far more technically gifted AS Roma 2-0.

Thanks Bob, it's been bugging me all day and I would never have worked it out.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Coventry Bears pulled into a motorway services on the M1 today.

We pulled in alongside a few Man U buses, the soccer fans spotted that the people on our bus were all dressed in blue and we could see they thought they were going to give the Evertonions some stick for pulling into their " space".

As our players alighted all dressed in blue shorts etc they visibly shrank back and backed off when they saw the size of the Bears players.

They went very quiet. It was quite funny to see them back down.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow