Football

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Without reading that link, was that related to the Peacock pub? They had it on their badge at one point I think. 

The Peacock badge was only on the shirt for 3 years, 1981/4. Before that it was an owl, they also wore shirts with a badge of the City of Leeds coat of arms.

The Peacocks nick name came from the name of the nearby Old Peacock pub. The ground was initially called The Old Peacock ground.

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I had wondered where that name came from for years.  As I heard it pre -Wikipedia, it had never occured to me to check.  Thanks!

I've even seen them play and didn't have a clue.

Good stuff.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not sure if this has been posted. John Sheridan has pursued a claim for unfair dismissal as manager of Notts County. It resulted from a contretemps with match officials. This is reportedly  a transcript of that conversation:

https://twitter.com/PAdugout/status/822435200806297604/photo/1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I used to think Match of the day was just about the right amount of football per game I could stand to watch. I tried watching this morning's repeat of last night's and I ended up shouting at the bloody telly. Football is really frustrating, I watched "highlights" of Stoke City v Chelsea and de Costa would have hit the deck if someone in the crowd sneezed. It really is a game where the best actors and cheats prosper.

On the plus side though it was nice to see Marco Silva's Hull City side given the opportunity to play their brand of football on a near perfect pitch at Goodison Park yesterday when they lost 4-0, rather than struggle to play football on the rugby affected KCOM pitch last week when they won 2-1.

• Like 4
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

On the plus side though it was nice to see Marco Silva's Hull City side given the opportunity to play their brand of football on a near perfect pitch at Goodison Park yesterday when they lost 4-0, rather than struggle to play football on the rugby affected KCOM pitch last week when they won 2-1.

Very good :biggrin:

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Meanwhile, in a bid to keep football affordable, Bradford City are once again selling their season tickets (this time for 17/18) at £149 adults, £5 for kids. This effectively means that a family of 4 can watch a game for £13.40 inclusive. This price is irrespective of the league that they are in next season, with a chance of that being the championship. They expect to sell 20,000. That's cracking stuff. 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1

On 19/03/2017 at 8:56 AM, Old Frightful said:

I used to think Match of the day was just about the right amount of football per game I could stand to watch. I tried watching this morning's repeat of last night's and I ended up shouting at the bloody telly. Football is really frustrating, I watched "highlights" of Stoke City v Chelsea and de Costa would have hit the deck if someone in the crowd sneezed. It really is a game where the best actors and cheats prosper.

I liked when they cut to one of the owners in the stand (I think it was Sunderland's) and the woman next to him (I guess it may have been his wife) looked like she was asleep. Given the quality of the game, I'm not surprised. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Put this out there i put a $5.50 bet on last year in early December it was a 6 leg multi

Chelsea to win EPL

Leeds to get promoted from Championship

Sheffield Utd to win League 1 

Doncaster Rovers to win League 2 

Barcelona to win UCL

Manchester United to win EL

I put it on and got odds of just over $ 33,000 now the odds are down to $ 36. 

Just wondering what everyone thinks is it possible that this comes off? or is it possible i get a payout if things keep going along as they are? 

the win is just over $ 182,000 

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy

5 hours ago, ckn said:

One of the better football game reviews, Scotland v Canada in the Scotsman

:D

Certainly a more honest one.

2 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Put this out there i put a $5.50 bet on last year in early December it was a 6 leg multi

Chelsea to win EPL

Barcelona to win UCL

Just wondering what everyone thinks is it possible that this comes off? or is it possible i get a payout if things keep going along as they are? 

I've a mate who knows a thing or two about gambling on sport, esp. football, I'll get him to have a gander and get back to you.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Dont need to wait for his response. 

I dunno how payouts early on work, but that is very, very, very solid. 

The Chelsea one you have down no question. 

Leeds wont get automatic promotion, but will be one of four teams vying for it through playoffs. To be honest, this might be what trips you up. Leeds are for mine the best of the lot, but these playoffs have a tendency not to promote the most deserving team.

sheffield and doncaster both topping the league, but with 8 games to go, their leads arent sufficient enough to say it is cast iron. Still, both look good at the moment. 

Man Utd, outside of Lyon, are clear favourites for EL. I think this will happen.

Barcelona are just as likely to win UCL. But...unlike EL....there are a lot of good teams left. This one is a toss up. Real, Atletico, Bayern and even Barcas QF opponent Juventus could easily topple Barca.

Bascially, you have a good bet you have to feel very good about right now. But i cant see any bookie oaying out early based on what remains. Leeds and Barca still have much work to do before any bookie would start panicking I think. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 2:28 AM, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Chelsea to win EPL

Barcelona to win UCL

I would at least hang on for one more round of CL and EL and then see what the offer is. Then it's done to your gut feeling. I usually ask would I feel worse losing the current offer or accepting the offer and the bet coming in. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 2:28 AM, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Chelsea to win EPL

Barcelona to win UCL

I can remember a Leicester fan last season "cashed out" part of his bet and left some of it on Leicester winning the title. Not sure if that option is available to you.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Not sure to tell you the truth wilt.

Have not yet been offered anything so I'll continue to wait. With the blades draw last night the odds went from 36 to 38.

Blades drew away to oldham 1-1

Bolton won away 2-0 shrewsbury.

League 1 is making me nervous.

bitter feeling after Doncaster got done in the 90th minute by Plymouth their lead is now down to 3 points whilst Sheffield Utd lead Bolton by 4 points.

Its a two horse race in both leagues now its " my team " DONCASTER v Plymouth and " my team " SHEFFEILD UTD v Bolton.

Safe to say i will be supporting against Plymouth and Bolton in the upcoming weeks with all my heart. 

You have one certainty, Chelsea, and two odds on teams, Doncaster and Sheffield utd. Doncaster are still 1/4 best price so you are still comfortable there.

Maybe an option would be laying some of the bet off if the other 3 get to the finals of their respective competitions? All 3 of your sides will be favourites. 

I agree with Bob that you can wait one more round with the European competitions. I saw Anderlecht beat Apoel Nicosia and I don't think they will trouble Manchester United. At this stage Barcelona are the most likeliest to go down first and yet they are 5/9 to progress.

Good luck. Keep telling us your thoughts please.