Football

16 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

What about Huddersfield Town?I n the 70s they played in every Football League division.I m not sure of their up and downs however. By the way they were unlucky today versus City.

Hudds didn't go straight down from the first to the fourth division. IIRC they had two seasons in the third division before dropping to the fourth.

Northampton had a similar experience in the 60s, going from the first division to the fourth in a few seasons.

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

1970-1971 They were in Division 1; by 1975-6 they were in Division 4. They remained there until 1980 when they again reached the giddy heights of Division 3.

The 79/80 promotion season from the fourth was great. Loads of goals. 

I think that Hudds are the only team to play in all four divisions in two different grounds.

What a record to have.

20 hours ago, JonM said:

Doesn't like anyone has done it in three successive seasons though.

Would be wonderful if Hull Tigers managed to be the first.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

19 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Would be wonderful if Hull Tigers managed to be the first.

There's a little voice at the back of my head saying, "Be careful what you wish for!"

I can't think why, but I thought I'd share that little gem with you.;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Bristol City went from first to fourth between 1978 and 1982. 

They were actually at the bottom of the fourth for a few games but revived under Terry Cooper.

I remember watching them in 1983 the year they won promotion from the fourth again. 

Hull have a long way to go yet. 

17 minutes ago, Niels said:

They were actually at the bottom of the fourth for a few games but revived under Terry Cooper.

I remember watching them in 1983 the year they won promotion from the fourth again. 

Remember Alan Dicks as City's manager?

Some may recall discontent at the team's performance leading to the classic football chant of, "Dicks out!"

• Like 3

On 28/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, Niels said:

Might not take too long the way the Allams are systematically dismembering the club. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 27/11/2017 at 12:34 PM, longboard said:

The 79/80 promotion season from the fourth was great. Loads of goals. 

I think that Hudds are the only team to play in all four divisions in two different grounds.

What a record to have.

Did Wolves not mange top flight to bottom and then almost top again within the 80's?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Did Wolves not mange top flight to bottom and then almost top again within the 80's?

I don't know about mange but Wolves had some fairly flaky teams in that period.

There was a well rehearsed quip from Tommy Docherty in that period, after his time as manager of Wolves ended. He reported that he was asked why he went to manage Wolves. He responded that his doctor said he needed a break from football.

Yes you are correct Bob. I had forgotten them.

Like Bristol City they had a good fan base so that when they were in division 4 they were getting the highest crowds. Even when City were bottom they were by far the best supported team. 

55 minutes ago, Niels said:

Yes you are correct Bob. I had forgotten them.

Like Bristol City they had a good fan base so that when they were in division 4 they were getting the highest crowds. Even when City were bottom they were by far the best supported team. 

Wolves got into financial problems IIRC related to the building of a large new stand. Molineux looked rather strange with a big shiny new stand and other dated stands.

They seem to have plenty of money now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

UD Las Palmas need a new manager. He'll be their third this season.

Have you popped your CV in?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

With an interfering president, a solid boozing culture and general apathy abounding, they need a miracle worker.

That does sound like you to be honest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That does sound like you to be honest.

:tongue:

At our rugby league playing school we used to play a version of round ball called "Dock Soccer" which was basically if you are caught in possession then "anything goes" as far as tackling is concerned.

The one-touch football was a joy to watch and well ahead of its time.

FIFA World Cup Draw:

Group A Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
Group B Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
Group C France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
Group D Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
Group E Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
Group G Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
Group H Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson