Football

4 hours ago, Niels said:

A Copenhagen Derby?

I hadn't heard of either I don't think, so I had a look online. Both had won titles in the past.

Enjoy the game. 

Back in the amateur days, which is until the 70's, these were two big clubs.  Frem were the working class team, Akademisk Boldklub were the middle class team, and B93 were among the top also-rans.

They have all disappeared of the big scene since.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

16 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Back in the amateur days, which is until the 70's, these were two big clubs.  Frem were the working class team, Akademisk Boldklub were the middle class team, and B93 were among the top also-rans.

They have all disappeared of the big scene since.

Do they play all winter in Scandinavia Bob are the seasons elongated with a wiinter break ? I know that Russia start in July 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Do they play all winter in Scandinavia Bob are the seasons elongated with a wiinter break ? I know that Russia start in July  

Denmark is on latitude with Scotland, so not quite the frozen hellhole of Norway or Sweden.  The season is similar, Autumn to early summer with a break over Christmas.

B93 1-0 BK Frem

A really good atmosphere, but I do find soccer dull.

Edited by Bob8
  • Thanks 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

A few years ago, When Saturday Comes ran an article about a competition taking place during Scandinavia's mid-winter break that featured teams from Norway, Denmark and Sweden playing outside in December and January. The reporter attended a match in Tromso, well inside the Arctic circle. There was actually a crowd in attendance. Their attitude being summed up to the writer as "there's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing".

It won't surprise you to learn that Tromso has an artificial pitch.

Meanwhile, in conditions described as 'truly tough', by the 479 there, Hastings beat Three Bridges 2-1 to stay in second place in the Bostik League Division 1 South East. Truly tough, you ask? Yes - that sun in my eyes was a right ######.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

A few years ago, When Saturday Comes ran an article about a competition taking place during Scandinavia's mid-winter break that featured teams from Norway, Denmark and Sweden playing outside in December and January. The reporter attended a match in Tromso, well inside the Arctic circle. There was actually a crowd in attendance. Their attitude being summed up to the writer as "there's no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing".

Meanwhile, in conditions described as 'truly tough', by the 479 there, Hastings beat Three Bridges 2-1 to stay in second place in the Bostik League Division 1 South East. Truly tough, you ask? Yes - that sun in my eyes was a right ######.

I remember before Euro 2016 football focus did a report from Iceland and they were exclusively for months training and playing indoors on numerous artificial surfaces , infact we barely saw a grass pitch . The general tone being how many  obstacles they had to overcome and many light years behind us they were and they were really  no threat and had done so well just to qualify . Really just making up the numbers and hopefully we get a kind draw and get them ...

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I remember before Euro 2016 football focus did a report from Iceland and they were exclusively for months training and playing indoors on numerous artificial surfaces , infact we barely saw a grass pitch . The general tone being how many  obstacles they had to overcome and many light years behind us they were and they were really  no threat and had done so well just to qualify . Really just making up the numbers and hopefully we get a kind draw and get them ...

Look, they are a land made of ice, they can pose no threat to us ...

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I read When Saturday Comes also. There are always good articles about non league and from around the world. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Niels said:

I read When Saturday Comes also. There are always good articles about non league and from around the world. 

Yes, even when I wasn't following football I regularly read it.

54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, even when I wasn't following football I regularly read it.

I am not, and I do.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:34 PM, Bob8 said:

I am not, and I do.

There was a good article about the Danish national team strike this month that I am sure would have interested you.

Also there was a feature abiut Bursaspor winning the Turkish league which had meant a lot to me at the time.

I used to have an online subscription but I like the print copy now.

• Like 1

Whoever made that statue of Mo Salah must have owned a copy of 'Endless Flight' by Leo Sayer.

mosalah4.JPG

Leo_Sayer_-_Endless_Flight.jpg

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not the biggest fan of Scottish Football, but two things caught my eye yesterday.

In the Highland League Fort William lost again, 13-0 at Fraserburgh, meaning their record this year is P18 W0 D2 L16 F13 A131 Pts-7 (They had 9 points deducted for fielding an ineligible player 3 times), and we thought SW Raiders defence was dodgy.

Scottish Div 2, Elgin 2 Berwick 4. In Berwick 4 goals were 2 goals by a Trialist, if he doesn't get a contract there is no justice in the world.

• Like 1

I wonder if I’ll ever see a game that Eden hazard doesn’t spend half of rolling around on the floor ... then making miraculous recoveries . Light breeze would knock him over

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Not the biggest fan of Scottish Football, but two things caught my eye yesterday.

In the Highland League Fort William lost again, 13-0 at Fraserburgh, meaning their record this year is P18 W0 D2 L16 F13 A131 Pts-7 (They had 9 points deducted for fielding an ineligible player 3 times), and we thought SW Raiders defence was dodgy.

Scottish Div 2, Elgin 2 Berwick 4. In Berwick 4 goals were 2 goals by a Trialist, if he doesn't get a contract there is no justice in the world.

Interesting.

I was pleased Livingston held Celtic. They have done well against the old firm at home.

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It was probably in When Saturday Comes (where else?) but I read a thing last year or the year before about Fort William's almost lifelong futility. They are very poorly supported and never do particularly well. The town and area are, apparently, shinty first and last.

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

He’s been everywhere Trialist . Never gets a contract anywhere poor lad 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wonder if I’ll ever see a game that Eden hazard doesn’t spend half of rolling around on the floor ... then making miraculous recoveries . Light breeze would knock him over

There must be a trophy in it? I bet Neymar is still a country mile in front and he only plays in Ligue 1.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

There must be a trophy in it? I bet Neymar is still a country mile in front and he only plays in Ligue 1.

It makes footy a tough watch nowadays for me . Who can con and deceive the best 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

It makes footy a tough watch nowadays for me . Who can con and deceive the best 

Those Latin types were always more cynical #####, they've just exported the best and the worst of their game.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.