Football

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Tom Daley would be proud of these.......

And they don’t do ashamed . It’s sad that’s it’s all seen as part of the game . Mostly comms don’t bat an eyelid . I mean they kick it out and appeal for a throw in 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And they don’t do ashamed . It’s sad that’s it’s all seen as part of the game . Mostly comms don’t bat an eyelid . I mean they kick it out and appeal for a throw in 

That's what you expect when Johnny Furriner learns something we Brit's invented.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Why would they be ashamed? They're trained in how to do it. Because, and this is the point, if you don't fall over you don't get a penalty.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Why would they be ashamed? They're trained in how to do it. Because, and this is the point, if you don't fall over you don't get a penalty.

There’s something in that , and yes refs do tend to give decisions on the reactions of players , and work backwards from someone going down holding their leg on . Oh something must have happened there ... it’s a tough gig for them . You could say that if they don’t give it players don’t do it , but it’s an endemic of cheating that’s a poison on the game in general . From minute 1 to 90 it’s varying levels of cheating from appealing for throw ins , to throwing yourself around not just in the box , to waving a finger at the ref and saying ‘ no no no ‘ when you’ve fouled someone etc etc . It’s owt to gain an advantage , get an opponent in bother and WIN .  The flocking round and abuse of officials on the pitch is shocking to . Maybe we don’t have that mindset and it is inherent and accepted  in the game , but if so it’s sad and I think more n more are commentating on . I sometimes think we should get these physios in the nhs . Clear up rates would be off the scale , spray some water on a body part and you’re up n about 

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

It makes footy a tough watch nowadays for me . Who can con and deceive the best 

And then the ex-players explain how difficult it is to stay on your feet when travelling at speed. Just the slightest touch can make you hit the ground.

I'm sure rugby wingers run faster than most footballers and they manage to (try and) stay on their feet even when the "slightest" touch is a bit more hard hitting! 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Imagine the comments on here if this happened in RL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46227643

There are a couple of teams round here who, because of the reality of where their ground is and what can be done with it, play on pitches that fall beneath regulation. As a result they can't enter the full FA competitions nor be promoted from intermediate to 'senior' football.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are a couple of teams round here who, because of the reality of where their ground is and what can be done with it, play on pitches that fall beneath regulation. As a result they can't enter the full FA competitions nor be promoted from intermediate to 'senior' football.

In this case, Cambridge City owned a ground in the north of the city which was worth many millions - a lot of money for a non-league club. They sold that in 2006 to property developers and after a few years bought a landfill site and adjoining farmland in a village near where I live. They were eventually able to get planning permission to build a stadium + community sports facility on the site (long saga involving a greenbelt site, permission granted then withdrawn, appeals etc.) but have yet to start building, although it seems like all the funding etc. is in place.

This FA Cup match was played on a college sports pitch, probably all that needed to be done was to try to get the college groundsman to hastily paint some new lines. Beating your local rivals from the division above in a cup game and then being ordered to replay at their ground because the pitch size was wrong... could be a bit of a grudge match.

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

...and the score?

2-1 very late but we should have been out of sight by half time . Kane n Sterling missed a bagful . We got one back on Croatia but oh for that in the summer . They weren’t much cop really 

Edited by DavidM

6 hours ago, JonM said:

In this case, Cambridge City owned a ground in the north of the city which was worth many millions - a lot of money for a non-league club. They sold that in 2006 to property developers and after a few years bought a landfill site and adjoining farmland in a village near where I live. They were eventually able to get planning permission to build a stadium + community sports facility on the site (long saga involving a greenbelt site, permission granted then withdrawn, appeals etc.) but have yet to start building, although it seems like all the funding etc. is in place.

This FA Cup match was played on a college sports pitch, probably all that needed to be done was to try to get the college groundsman to hastily paint some new lines. Beating your local rivals from the division above in a cup game and then being ordered to replay at their ground because the pitch size was wrong... could be a bit of a grudge match.

I'd not realised that Cambridge City had gone nomadic. Seen them a couple of times in my non league travels, always seemed to be pretty well supported. Hopefully, unlike so many others who sell a ground with a promise of a new one, they will eventually get something sorted.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

2-1 very late but we should have been out of sight by half time . Kane n Sterling missed a bagful . We got one back on Croatia but oh for that in the summer . They weren’t much cop really 

IIRC, Kane scored 30 goals for Spurs last season and six so far this season

Sterling scored 18 for City last season and six so far this season

That suggests to me that they are effective players, so what if anything is different about their international performances?

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That suggests to me that they are effective players, so what if anything is different about their international performances?

Exactly . Kane was on fire until he seemed to get injured against Colombia and petered out in the WC but I’ve no worries about him . Sterling is a complete paradox. You see one player week on week but a totally different player for England . He scored against Spain but overall for us his quality in the final third is desperately poor and you’ve zero faith he’s gonna finish or deliver that killer pass . Today was the same as most games . Ok till the last bit . It’s been a theme down the years with many England players and I guess he’s the latest . Of course he plays every week with better players

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's just fashionable to slag 'em off if they don't play for your team, I think.

4801 at the 'Wham' yesterday for the visit of Barnsley.

Might not sound a lot but it's actually the record crowd. Down mostly to the numbers who came from the dark side over to sunny Lancs for the day.

Barnsley won 0-2 but looking at the comments from their fans in various places across the interweb it seems that they had a great visit with many declaring it one of their best ever away days.

We have the small matter of Sunderland coming to town in Dec which should see a new attendance record.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

It's just fashionable to slag 'em off if they don't play for your team, I think.

Thank goodness that doesn't happen in Rugby League. Ever. :tongue:

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson