Football

16 hours ago, Vambo said:

We have the small matter of Sunderland coming to town in Dec which should see a new attendance record.

Temporary stands?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 11/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, DavidM said:

Nice to see sterling back in usual England form 

Sterling plays a lot better for Man City.

However Leroy Sane had a great game for Germany tonight. He seemed to play more central left forward than winger.

10 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I see it's a pound a ticket to Bradford City's game Vs Oxford this weekend.

I know they're bottom of the division but was surprised by this move. I might go if I aren't working.

It's a decent move from them. I've seen a couple of non league clubs offering completely free entry to everyone but I have a feeling somewhere in the back of my mind that you can't do that in the Football League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The body formerly known as the Football League accept a five year, £595m deal from Sky.

Up to 15 clubs now considering 'breaking away'.

You'd have got very good odds on the Nations League finals having England, Portugal, Switzerland and Holland in.

Even though it's a bit complicated, UEFA seem to have hit on a winner with this format. It's certainly better than friendlies.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

You'd have got very good odds on the Nations League finals having England, Portugal, Switzerland and Holland in.

Even though it's a bit complicated, UEFA seem to have hit on a winner with this format. It's certainly better than friendlies.

Yes naturally people were sceptical but for once they’ve come up with a great idea here . Giving meaning to games . Good to see new sides in the mix . I’m pleased Belgium n France didn’t make it , bit of freshness there . 

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

I honestly thought it was a decent idea that would fail because it was too fiddly and didn't really mean anything. Well, happy to be completely wrong on that.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I honestly thought it was a decent idea that would fail because it was too fiddly and didn't really mean anything. Well, happy to be completely wrong on that.

And if we win it’ll be the bestest idea ever

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Same here. I really wasn't sure, but it is working straight away, as far as I can tell. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Salford get beat in the Cup.... Now where have I heard that before?

A couple of rounds after I heard "Swinton get beaten in the cup?"

?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

A couple of rounds after I heard "Swinton get beaten in the cup?"

?

I'll set'em up, you knock 'em down. I was asking for that really. ?

Although we have won it more than you. But 1928 was the last time, 1938 was Salfords last time (I have the programme).

Salford RLFC are the only Superleague Club NOT to make a CC final appearance, in fact since 1969, half the championship have made an appearance in the final.

Edited by Bleep1673

42 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I'll set'em up, you knock 'em down. I was asking for that really. ?

Although we have won it more than you. But 1928 was the last time, 1938 was Salfords last time (I have the programme).

Salford RLFC are the only Superleague Club NOT to make a CC final appearance, in fact since 1969, half the championship have made an appearance in the final.

I know! I know! There's no need to rub it in. ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, tim2 said:

I agree. I've really enjoyed the Nations League, whereas I had very little interest previously in friendlies.

I was very surprised that Switzerland got through instead of Belgium. I hope England get them in the SF.

20 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I agree. I've really enjoyed the Nations League, whereas I had very little interest previously in friendlies.

I was very surprised that Switzerland got through instead of Belgium. I hope England get them in the SF.

Do you not still think of them as friendlies though?

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

Qualification for World Cups can be gained by success in the competition, so the Nations League will never be the same as a normal friendly.

Plus the minnow nations get fixtures where they have a chance of a contest, instead of a one-sided thrashing by some bored professionals.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Qualification for World Cups can be gained by success in the competition, so the Nations League will never be the same as a normal friendly.

Plus the minnow nations get fixtures where they have a chance of a contest, instead of a one-sided thrashing by some bored professionals.

That's true and perfectly valid. I do think it's a great concept myself and much better than the old friendlies it replaced. They still have a bit of a friendly feel to me though.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

No, I honestly don't. Plus, the players themselves are demonstrating that they're more than just friendlies. There is no way that England would have celebrated a friendly goal in the same way that they did Kane's winner against Croatia.

We've played twice against Croatia and twice against Spain. There have been some really good games to watch. The friendlies were almost always dire. The best one was probably Columbia in 1995, because of the goalie doing a scorpion kick.

I'm looking forward to the SF next year. I think this competition has re-invigorated international football.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes , this is the point . It’s giving games a meaning . Playing for a trophy , playing for a potential play off spot , playing to get a higher group , a higher ranking etc . That was the aim , and when you see it in action you understand that and how teams are taking to it . And as you say the groups are pretty evenly matched . Just look at the friendlies now in between these games and see the difference 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Anyone that does is only doing so because the concept is new. But look at the teams being fielded. They're first teamers. Friendlies had wholesale changes throughout. NL only three subs and teams making substitutions in line with competitive matches.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

No, I honestly don't. Plus, the players themselves are demonstrating that they're more than just friendlies. There is no way that England would have celebrated a friendly goal in the same way that they did Kane's winner against Croatia.

We've played twice against Croatia and twice against Spain. There have been some really good games to watch. The friendlies were almost always dire. The best one was probably Columbia in 1995, because of the goalie doing a scorpion kick.

I'm looking forward to the SF next year. I think this competition has re-invigorated international football.

...in England and perhaps the broader British Isles. 

International football, outside of the British Isles, is in most cases the most important type of football, and has been for a long time. But Little Englanders like to think that their perceptions of intl football are shared broadly across the world, which couldn't be further from the truth. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

International football, outside of the British Isles, is in most cases the most important type of football, and has been for a long time. But Little Englanders like to think that their perceptions of intl football are shared broadly across the world, which couldn't be further from the truth. 

I was meaning only that it has re-invigorated the international game in terms of replacing some of the meaningless friendlies. The World Cup and European Championships have always been massive for football fans in the UK. However, even with those - as an England fan - the tournament qualification process wasn't much of an attraction. Generally speaking, England qualified fairly easily (with some notable exceptions!) and there weren't many games that commanded huge levels of interest.

• Like 1